Another Kat Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why didn't i even think to check XD, gosh i feel so stupid. Thankyou so much Ral Partha, and im guessing that the part to measure is where the armor is covering not tip of my shoulder to tip right?

Im sorry guys, I clearly shouldn't have recently dyed my hair blonde... all my thinking power has been destroyed

and im guessing that the part to measure is where the armor is covering not tip of my shoulder to tip right?
You actually measure the distance between the tips of your shoulders and use it in the formula. The reason is that if you look at the chest armor, the "wings" extend out to the tips of your shoulders . The formula then allows you to calculate the height of the chest model such that the those wings will only go that far.

Im sorry guys, I clearly shouldn't have recently dyed my hair blonde... all my thinking power has been destroyed
Nah, your hair color is fine. Correct scaling is the "holy grail" of Halo pep costuming and we've been at it for literally years trying to come up with a universal scaling method.

one trick i found to scaling is to get a picture of yourself in the da vinci body proportion circle study pose and measure your body in this picture to scale and convert your real body measurements to the picture. then "draw" the armor on. take those measurements and do some math (changes with scale measurements you get) and it should produce most of your pieces scaled correctly. if this is kinda confusing then i can see about posting a pic of what i mean

On a note about scaling, hands can really be some of the most difficult parts. While the majority of the pieces I have made worked fine with one set scale, the hands were always too big for me. The variation in hand size is not always directly linked to the overall size of the person like most other parts are and therefor I had to drastically reduce the scale on my handplates alone to make then fit my sized hands. Its a PITA, but its really one of the only parts that requires that kind of trial and error if you want it to be right. Worst case scenario I have some cast mark VI plates made for smaller hands if you want mix and match armor.

I've come up with a way to do hands that ill try when i start my own foam build.trace out ur own hand on paper note where the knuckles and where the thumb line starts when it wraps into a fist, then sketch in the hand plates on top (easy if you got a more artistic eye).use foam (craft or eva) to create the hand plates using ur sketch as the template. then shape with some heat to curve it a little. cut in any details you want with a knife and plasti dip and paint.

Thanks for all the ideas guys! Yeah this whole scaling thing is a $%&#*. I finally got started on the chestplate and it appears to be the proper size, thankyou so much Ral Partha :D

@ J326~ Thats a very good idea, and i've worked with foam abit before in one of my college art classes. Hmmmm.... that would be a lot better than the handplates I have now

Updates:
IMAG0088.jpg

IMAG0089.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0088.jpg
    IMAG0088.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 72
  • IMAG0089.jpg
    IMAG0089.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 91
excellent job on the pep work! nice and clean. I really like your battle damage on your shoulder pieces! don't be afraid to go crazy with it because after painting it'll look really awesome. If you want some tips painting there are some awesome tips in the painting thread in the noob forum especially for battle damage. keep up the great work!

The L3X chest is one of the best out there, But read the post on how to make it fit YOU. I figured I tell you this now when you're still in paper form.

@ surfahbum808
Thanks so much! Yeah i think the battle scars give it some character ;). Im also debating on making two seperate visors, one thats her normal wear and another that has the bullet hole from the fatal shot. I can walk around like, "Yo guys, that was no biggy. I have 8 lives left."

@ thorn696
Yeah thats def the tricky part. I've scraped it a few times because of that but now I think i got it right

@ Everyone
Well had a recent makeover, I might not look to play the part of Kat anymore but hey, its whatevs. http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa145/HyperFalcon3412/IMAG0007.jpg

fthkinz;511945@ Everyone Well had a recent makeover said:
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa145/HyperFalcon3412/IMAG0007.jpg[/url]

Actualy I kinda like this look better for Kat... and it looks good for you to XP

I agree with bryce... just do some "make-up" scars and temp dye it black and you're there lol... also a fake russian accent helps. lol

I must say your pep work is clean. If you want to get a smoother looking pep you can manipulate the angle threshold. Go into the options, then other options and at the bottom you will see the threshold control. Just keep decreasing it till you have the desired level of "smoothness" you want from your pep. If you have any questions, feel free to pm and I will help out any way that I can. Keep up the good work!

The chestplate is going alright. The overall height and all looks pretty good, but its still too wide. BUT imma make this work. If it means me mudglassing the $%&# out of the inside and grinding the sides wayyyyy down later, then so be it.

I've got all night to work on the pep, and a few bottles of vodka, so I plan on getting this &$%@# done before sleeping.

hahaha baileys is better for peping :p after seeing the show "the mighty boosh" I wouldn't work without baileys :p

well once again nice job on the build and i like how you did the battle damage on the shoulder, keep it up

Thanks everybody! Well last night i decided the torso was too large so i destroyed it. I could've possibly nipped-and-tucked it, but unfortunately my obsession of wanting the perfect torso got in the way. So i shall start from almost a total scratch as I also decided to get rid of almost all my other pepwork, including the shin and helmet. Shin for size issues and helmet because it has a slight warpage on one side thanks to my damn cat. They think they can sleep anywhere apparently.

In lighter news, this makes me feel a lot better starting brand new. I have the two shoulder bells and the hand guards still intact because I'm please with them :D. Also, I've developed a headcold so I have all day to work on my pepping. I think I'll just leave the chest for another day and work on things that wont make me want to cry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back