Mark VI high-def foam armor WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are some progress pics. For more pics follow the link in the signature...

Picture2231.jpg

Picture2240.jpg

Attachments

• Picture2231.jpg
    Picture2231.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 164
  • Picture2240.jpg
    Picture2240.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 157
What are you using for adhesive or glue?
I see the hotglue gun, but I wanted to confirm it.
How does the glue hold up? Does it secure everything very well? Have you done any durability tests?
You are probably going to be running around in the suit, I'm just concerned that the hotglue wouldnt hold up to durability needed for attending a anime convention or comic con in the suit.

I am planning on trying some similar projects with similar EVA foam mats, and am researching glue and adhesives. Hotglue is not my favorite adhesive to work with. I am pretty new to making props and armor like this, but Ive found that on the Pep builds you Resin coat the outside, then Fiberglass the insides for durability and strength. Are you planning on doing this also? I havent seen anyone else creating Foam armor really posting up what they are using for adhesives or extra durability help.

What are you using for adhesive or glue?
I see the hotglue gun, but I wanted to confirm it.
How does the glue hold up? Does it secure everything very well? Have you done any durability tests?
You are probably going to be running around in the suit, I'm just concerned that the hotglue wouldnt hold up to durability needed for attending a anime convention or comic con in the suit.

I use a high temp hot glue gun. Once the glue has set you cannot seperate it, (try breaking a glue stick with your bare hands) you will rip the foam first. If it gets hot enough (too close to a heater or near a bonfire) the seams can come apart, but that's about all I have noticed. I use alot of glue on the inside once I have the final shape. Then I stare at it for awhile. Then I add more glue. Seems to work well, the pieces do not come apart later if that's what you are asking. For the outside 2 coats of plasti dip will protect it. Stop a dull sword swung by a weak idiot, thats for sure. Overall the pieces retain the flexibility of the foam and the multi-purpose spray paint does not crack unless the conditions are extreme (like stepping on your forearm part.)

We have some pictures of completed pieces up, as well as the process, tools and materials we used. Follow the link in my signature.

Project stats thus far
Start date: Sat, Jan 8
Foam: 8 sheets (2'x2')
Pattern Stage: Greaves
Cutting Stage: Thighs, Boots, L Forearm
Formed: Helm,
Completed: R Forearm, Torso, Handplates, Shoulders, Master Chief Foam Underoos
Days off: 9
All pictures: www.squidoo.com/how-to-make-halo-armor

I've decided to redo the left forearm to match the right.
We are almost done, here are some recent pictures
EPSN0022.jpg

EPSN0015.jpg

EPSN0025.jpg

Attachments

• EPSN0022.jpg
    EPSN0022.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 165
  • EPSN0015.jpg
    EPSN0015.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 160
  • EPSN0025.jpg
    EPSN0025.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 160
Nice updated profile pic!

I like the pics you posted.

Keep up the hard LOOOOOOooooooog work.

PS: I dug up some 2mm foam for yea when we next meet.

Cheers!

OK, after a few minor glitches and some pattern remakes I have the left thigh and shins ready for paint
These pics are prior to detail
Picture2411.jpg

Picture2416.jpg

Much better with detail
Picture2423.jpg

Picture2419.jpg

I may need to change the thread title to medium or high def... any thoughts?

Attachments

• Picture2423.jpg
    Picture2423.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 159
  • Picture2416.jpg
    Picture2416.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 152
  • Picture2411.jpg
    Picture2411.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 159
  • Picture2419.jpg
    Picture2419.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 152
I really like your work. It's amazing what you can do with just a few pieces of foam. I actually bought some foam boards yesterday to make the inside vest and back armor for my kids' ODST. Should be alot easier than pep and resin after seeing your work.

wow this looks amazing! you'd actually think it was high detail if you hadnt mentioned it :p i wondered about making the mark VI out of foam, and this shows me that i can :D thanks :D

Wow, so I looked at this when you first started and I was all *meh* But wow you blew me away, this is crazy now I'm all like*omglolglolmOMGWTFTTTBACON!* (<actual reaction)

What are you using for scoring/melting your detailing in? It looks really good and it also looks like you are putting little thin sheets overtop your actual frame, is that correct?

Whatever it is your doing it looks great and your making progress at a tremendous rate!

If mine turns out half as good as yours I'll be pleased.

BTW I'm pretty sure a mod has to change the title of the thread but I would make it HD, it looks fantastic.

What are you using for scoring/melting your detailing in? It looks really good and it also looks like you are putting little thin sheets overtop your actual frame, is that correct?

Thanks for the Kudos. I use a wood burning kit to burn details, a hotknife to cut details and a piece of heated round metal to brand details. The thin foam is 2mm flooring underlay.

*UPDATE*
I made a quick video of me wearing the pieces I have so far, check the link to my squidoo page in my signature to find it.
We are on the home stretch now, one leg left to finish and then I will complete the helm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back