Mark VI high-def foam armor WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
you guys have any tips for painting eva foam? I made a simple hand plate for my first try at foam armor and wanted to test how it took to paint.... not well :( do you guys seal it with something first?

you guys have any tips for painting eva foam? I made a simple hand plate for my first try at foam armor and wanted to test how it took to paint.... not well :( do you guys seal it with something first?

Yup... We used Plasti-dip as the sealant

Check me out, I'm the new (extremely unofficial) poster spartan for Halo 4.
halo4-me.jpg

I figured that you would try this. Nice work on super imposing "Intimidator" over top of John.

Attachments

• halo4-me.jpg
    halo4-me.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 162
plasti paste? if u look at mine its jagged a lil bit and messy. i d say just spread it thin and keep working at it even when drying to ensure its not jagged cuz that will lead to bubbles with later coats. im a noob so i learned that the hard way. also make sure to mix the stuff well mine is still flimsy even now after i used it =.=

do you sand down the plasti dip after? or just spread it on very thin?
Before you work with foam I advise heat sealing your good side first, I've added a tutorial video to the how-to page here: www.squidoo.com/how-to-make-halo-armor When you do this you only need 2 light coats of plasti-dip to seal it for paint.

We did some more photos and took Spartan Intimidator to a party with kids for a durability test, it passed. Here is a photo I did for a lark, you can see the nice ones I put up for the finished armor section of the how-to page.
dude.jpg

Attachments

• dude.jpg
    dude.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 154
Were still testing out the HD camcorder and figured that I should post at least ONE sample of our testing and learning.

It's not often that you see a MKVI Spartan doing the laundry.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wouldn't it be more convenient to place the drier on the right side of the washing machine, so that the door isn't in the way when putting the wet stuff in there? :-D

Wouldn't it be more convenient to place the drier on the right side of the washing machine, so that the door isn't in the way when putting the wet stuff in there? :-D
Theres a spartan VI doing laundry, and you notice that....

anyway, where would I get an undersuit like that?

The undersuit is a nylon track suit that we found at a local thrift store. If I recall, it was 10 bucks.

:)

9 bucks, including platform shoes :)

The nylon is only good because it is breathable, it is baggy and does nothing for moisture. It only looks good in some of the pictures, if you have the cash to spend I would personally go with summerwear underarmor, tightfitting and black, like what a football player would wear, or go with a black Morphsuit (like the greenmen, only black)
I found some of these items on Amazon and posted the links on my squidoo pages, this lens has some undersuit options on it: www.squidoo.com/halo-armor-challenge
As for me, I've been raiding the local thrift stores on pirate treasure hunts, looking for tight fitting black sportwear (like underarmor) and other goodies to go with this armor... I will post some pics when I have done a few mods, see how it looks.

Ahoy me matey's! Dave the pirate has finished looting all 3 thrift stores in the area and for under $10 he found:
-Tight black biker shorts (breathable and stretchy)
-Black coolmax t-shirt (short sleeve, breathable and wisks away moisture)
-A duo-dry longsleeve T, only the sleeves were black so I cut em off and attached them to the black T.
-Long sleeve black "morph" gloves (ultra breathable and stretchy)
-kids size black backcatcher chest shield (fits perfect for a spine protector)
-kids size black backcatcher kneepads (with the padding torn out they made awesome elbow armor)
-a padded hockey neckseal (padding to be removed and soft black fabric added)
-a square yard of soft black fabric for under sports pads
-about 8 feet of velcro
-sewing supplies
-nylon/spandex capri's and black knee tights (I might look for something better)

Here are some progress pics of the undersuit modifications for the spartan Intimidator. I've also been adding to the armor parts for extra detail. So far I have the abdomen and lower back done and the right arm finished. Left arm is cut out and awaiting assembly.
Picture68-1.jpg

Picture57.jpg

Picture67-1.jpg

Picture70.jpg

Picture61.jpg

I will be finishing the left arm and the neck seal next, and also on the list:
-Add inner thigh armor
-Upgrade the helmet lights to 4x superbright LEDs
-Make foam boot expanders
-Add a foam sole and tread to the boots
-Add some custom details

Attachments

• Picture57.jpg
    Picture57.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 146
  • Picture68-1.jpg
    Picture68-1.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 152
  • Picture67-1.jpg
    Picture67-1.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 154
  • Picture70.jpg
    Picture70.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 165
  • Picture61.jpg
    Picture61.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 149
I still can't get over how sweet you've made this build in foam!!! I'm looking forward to seeing how the under-suit and boots comes out.

Very sweet indeed, Gamemaster!

I think we need to get you over to my studio/workshop for some nice UBER shots.

:)

After some undersuit and underarmor mods we did a photoshoot in Longshot-X's Workshop. Here are some pictures so far
Img00023667.jpg

Img00023675.jpg

Img00023693.jpg

Img00023759.jpg

Img00023789.jpg

And some with the flash off (better color)
Img00023730.jpg

Img00023704.jpg

Img00023722.jpg

I still have some tweaking before I am video ready... more to follow soon.

Attachments

• Img00023675.jpg
    Img00023675.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 139
  • Img00023693.jpg
    Img00023693.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 149
  • Img00023667.jpg
    Img00023667.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 141
  • Img00023704.jpg
    Img00023704.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 146
  • Img00023730.jpg
    Img00023730.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 160
  • Img00023789.jpg
    Img00023789.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 135
  • Img00023759.jpg
    Img00023759.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 169
  • Img00023722.jpg
    Img00023722.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 135
Wow..just wow. the pic's came out great. Now I do have a question for you tho. On you're ankle, is the a foam spacer? I was wondering about how I was going to work out my placement on shines. As for Vid oh ya bring it on.

Wow..just wow. the pic's came out great. Now I do have a question for you tho. On you're ankle, is the a foam spacer? I was wondering about how I was going to work out my placement on shines. As for Vid oh ya bring it on.

Yes, that is a piece of foam, shaped with the heatgun and mounted to the bottom of the shins. It still needs detailing and the boots will have an "ankle sleeve" that tucks under the spacer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back