How far do we want graphics to advance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unity

Hello all,

I have noticed a trend among gamers. We always want teh graphics to be better and better. But the question is, Just how far do we want them to advance? Lets take the mass effect 3 teaser trailer for example. Those graphics on that trailer are some of the best we have seen so far. People are saying they want the game to look like that. So my question is, Is our wish to have video games eventualy look like real life? But then again, that is what makes a video game a video game. Its not real. But the day it becomes so real that it looks like real life, then that is the day video games will no longer exist. So, out to all of the 405th members, What is your opinian on this.

Thanks

Jacob

I don't see a reason why games should not reach and surpass real-world graphics and eventually even leave the screen and head for the holodeck, to show us stuff that isn't possible in reality.

What I do see is the need for some major upgrades to the way we prevent young players from playing hardcore games (the fact that half the new admissions to this forum are under 16 and completely immature show that it's not working) and to the way we help those who do develop an addiction (you don't even need better graphics for that, just look at WoW).

I don't think that ATI or NVIDIA want us to get there anytime soon, since that is their gravy train haha.

But here is something interesting I've been following for a while, since I've worked professionally with both polygonal and point cloud data. Some of my 3D friends found it disturbing, lol

Oh check out that first uploader comment about the technology probably getting bought out and shelved. Good stuff.

What makes it so cool is that it is resolution dependent, and doesn't require your processor to calculate where everything is that you don't see. Because point data can be represented as a screen pixel it has this advantage over polygon based CG graphics. Even better, if you wanted to make a destroyed car for a FPS game you'd only have to go to a junkyard and do some full scans of a few crushed cars, cut out the point data you don't want, place a collision box, and insert it in your level.

Of course it would require the development of new software/modeling programs for artists to use, as well as many other things. It has a very long way to go before any of us will see any real uses for it, but it does work fast and it looks great. So that's a good start.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see a reason why games should not reach and surpass real-world graphics and eventually even leave the screen and head for the holodeck, to show us stuff that isn't possible in reality.

What I do see is the need for some major upgrades to the way we prevent young players from playing hardcore games (the fact that half the new admissions to this forum are under 16 and completely immature show that it's not working) and to the way we help those who do develop an addiction (you don't even need better graphics for that, just look at WoW).

That is true. But dosent that ruin the whole video game vibe? I can understand a holodeck type thing , but I think that draws the line between video game and augumented reality.

I don't think that ATI or NVIDIA want us to get there anytime soon, since that is their gravy train haha.

But here is something interesting I've been following for a while, since I've worked professionally with both polygonal and point cloud data. Some of my 3D friends found it disturbing, lol

Oh check out that first uploader comment about the technology probably getting bought out and shelved. Good stuff.

What makes it so cool is that it is resolution dependent, and doesn't require your processor to calculate where everything is that you don't see. Because point data can be represented as a screen pixel it has this advantage over polygon based CG graphics. Even better, if you wanted to make a destroyed car for a FPS game you'd only have to go to a junkyard and do some full scans of a few crushed cars, cut out the point data you don't want, place a collision box, and insert it in your level.

Of course it would require the development of new software/modeling programs for artists to use, as well as many other things. It has a very long way to go before any of us will see any real uses for it, but it does work fast and it looks great. So that's a good start.

Very cool! Thanks hugh!

We want them to get to the very edge of the Suspension-of-Disbelief Line. This line gets finer and finer, every time there's a leap, so it's hard to define.

But, yeah, basically what Hugh said.

That is true. But dosent that ruin the whole video game vibe? I can understand a holodeck type thing , but I think that draws the line between video game and augumented reality.

I don't think a holodeck is a form of augmented reality. For an augmented reality, you need something real to add to, whereas a holodeck would build everything from scratch. Using it as a gaming device would be just a further step in the evolution of gaming: Games used to be on boards (some of the younger members here might not even know what a board game is :-D), then they went digital, and soon they will move back into the real world. First with limited three-dimensional output (holograms and stuff like that), and no doubt there will be ways to turn those into "real" simulated environments with tactile output and smell as well.

I think eventually the goal is just VR rather than augmented reality, a total world computer generated made however we want it to be. Like ventrue said, Holodecks.
The danger to this is that if you can create a reality however you want, why would you ever go back to a "flawed" reality. Quite some time ago I read a book series (pendragon I believe was the name Googling. . . Here we go: http://djmachalebooks.com/books/pendragon/the-reality-bug/ )
Where in aformentioned book nearly all of a civilization is living in VR, feeding on nutrients absorbed through the skin, something terrible happens and people start dying (Hey! I can't remeber everything, I said it was a long time ago)

But basicly the ultimate goal IMO is to create something unatainable in RL as we say on the internet, a place where we can be anyone, do anything without the consequences that normally accompany every decision. We can be gods of our own universes. Creators, destroyes, conquerers, leaders, kings, animals anything we can imagine we can do.
THAT is the ultimate goal/ramble

(Not quite all about graphics, but hey)

You all have wonderfull opinians . I think that there should be a differance between video games and VR type things.

my opinion is that i dont want them to go so far that i would almost have to sell an kidney for one game or console. i think that if they stay where they are right now for 3 to 5 years would be just fine. i spent more than 1,200 dollars on a graphics card just to play cyrsis. so in conclusion i think they should stay where they are for a few years and make them better when a new console comes out.

my opinion is that i dont want them to go so far that i would almost have to sell an kidney for one game or console. i think that if they stay where they are right now for 3 to 5 years would be just fine. i spent more than 1,200 dollars on a graphics card just to play cyrsis. so in conclusion i think they should stay where they are for a few years and make them better when a new console comes out.

YES! Amen to that!

Q: what you've asked.

A: Graphics that rival the real-world, physics that the real-world has, the in-depth perception that the game makers want us to be in.

Ax2: Star Trek style holo-decks. yes I'm a 24th centuary fan.......

Q: what you've asked.

A: Graphics that rival the real-world, physics that the real-world has, the in-depth perception that the game makers want us to be in.

Ax2: Star Trek style holo-decks. yes I'm a 24th centuary fan.......

That is what im talking about!

Eventually games will look like this

That video is what made me post this thread! lol

Video games will keep becoming more graphically intensive until it is no longer possible to tell the difference between a game and real life.

At that point in time, I predict that there will be a shift away from super-realistic games to games like Team Fortress 2 with dedicated and unique art styles.

well here is a true story. when call of duty came out (ps 2, not 360 or PC) i said that computer games will NEVER have graphics better than this. they can get no better. i was very very wrong
i believe that graphics will simply get better and better, but they may become mopre "cartoony" e.g. bullet storm, Gears of war, the warhammer games, where the graphins will get better (therefore gore will be hightened and realistic) but be put in places where the people dont look very human (such as GTA games, or the Halo games)

as for that vid, Mr Freddy Wong is a oure genius at making game realated youtube vids, to a very hight quality. (i recomend his aimbot vid)

Video games will keep becoming more graphically intensive until it is no longer possible to tell the difference between a game and real life.

At that point in time, I predict that there will be a shift away from super-realistic games to games like Team Fortress 2 with dedicated and unique art styles.

true.

well here is a true story. when call of duty came out (ps 2, not 360 or PC) i said that computer games will NEVER have graphics better than this. they can get no better. i was very very wrong
i believe that graphics will simply get better and better, but they may become mopre "cartoony" e.g. bullet storm, Gears of war, the warhammer games, where the graphins will get better (therefore gore will be hightened and realistic) but be put in places where the people dont look very human (such as GTA games, or the Halo games)

as for that vid, Mr Freddy Wong is a oure genius at making game realated youtube vids, to a very hight quality. (i recomend his aimbot vid)

your post made me just realize how realism will effect rating systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back