Tutorial: Wood Glue Pepakura Method

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not exactly sure if ther resin melts the cloth, but I do know that it works the same way as the glue I just mentioned.

Nah, there's no melting going on. Since fiberglass is essentially just super thin strands of regular glass, I'm pretty sure it would take pretty high temps to melt it. All composites are comprised of at least 2 constituent materials. In our case, we have the reinforcement material (the fiberglass cloth) and the matrix (the resin, or in this particular case, wood glue). The matrix serves to bind the fibers together and transfer any loads to them. So as long as the matrix binds and hardens the fibers, like the wood glue seems to do well enough here, then there's no reason for it not to work. :)

Please forgive my necro-posting :(

Would Gorilla Glue work? My dad had suggested it to me since it "puffs up" and hardens quite, well, hard.

Gorilla Glue will work very well for making it harder, but it might not be the best choice for the outside, because it won't come out smooth.

Gorilla Glue will work very well for making it harder, but it might not be the best choice for the outside, because it won't come out smooth.

Doh!!! Thanks bunches for the advice. I'm using Foam Poster board for my build and it's working out GREAT! I tried the hot-glue method (melt tons of hot glue in a pot and "paint" it on) It worked pretty well, however, I got a 2nd degree burn on my finger so- I was looking for a....safer route lol.

WHOOOO!! just the thread i've been looking for! I live in a dorm so this is the best option i can go with.

WHOOOO!! just the thread i've been looking for! I live in a dorm so this is the best option i can go with.
Please check the date of the last post in the thread, if it's older than 2 months most people consider this "necroposting" and it is heavily frowned upon.
If you want to contact the OP (original poster) for more info, PM them to avoid this mistake.
Because you are new here most people will let you off the first time - but try to avoid in future.

CJ

I had this thought....not sure if it would work but. Nail polish is diluted with alcohol right...wouldnt using rubbing alcohol instead of water make it dry faster and smoother?

Can you use bondo with the titanbond II? Because I was watching a video and this guy couldn't use bondo because he used elmers wood glue. Will it be able to hold and sand if I use titanbond II?

If you have access to Bondo, then you can have access to fiberglass resin. I suggest you use the fiberglass if you want to do any Bondo and sanding.

Nice thread going to try it out due to the -1 degree weather in Michigan. Also the resin depending on what type of fiber or carbon cloth you are using needs resin designed for it. This is because of the chemical reason that the fiber or carbon has while it is curing. As most of you know and have stated there is no melting going on with the glass. This is true but only for the glass and pcp cloth types, when you start using carbon or other chemical composites they do under go a melting or fuse. That is why you may see a fiber glass and pcp cloth replacement part for a car but you NEVER see fiber and carbon glass that is due to the resin not bonding correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back