Odst wip

Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATE! So I finished the bondo and sanding phase last night. I left some dents and divits to make it easier to weather the helmet after I make a cast, Im really anxious to see how this turns out. This will be my first attempt at making a mold. No pictures of the bondo phase. Without further adiue!

DSCF2549.jpg

DSCF2550.jpg

DSCF2551.jpg

DSCF2555.jpg

DSCF2554.jpg

OK, so I finally finished the mold and the helmet! I havent had time to give any updates because I was desperately trying to complete the helmet to go skiing in.

I completed the mold with out much trouble. I would highly recommend to anyone attempting to make a mold to spend a great deal of time to make the keys perfect, otherwise like me, you will have a more difficult time trying to demold the mother mold. It finally came off, but to get it back on we had to trim the rear key and sand inside the mother mold. Mother mold is just 2 layers of fiberglass mat. I probably should have done one or 2 more to make sure that it would withstand being dropped or other rough treatment, but it works as intended.

DSCF2559.jpg

DSCF2561.jpg

DSCF2558.jpg

DSCF2563.jpg

DSCF2564.jpg

First cast came out spectacular! I am now a smooth cast customer for life. The rubber was easy to work with. The smooth cast was amazing. It sanded very easily, yet its extremely strong. With 200 grit sandpaper, after all the trimming and cleaning up the details, was extremely smooth and painted easily. Even after 3 days on the slopes very little paint was missing after several rough wipe outs. Just added to the weathering :p.

DSCF2565.jpg

So finally paint. I used rustoleum spray paint, all flats or satins(except the yellow which was gloss). As you can see in the pictures, I kinda hijacked Seans idea of the ODST flag on the rear of the helmet. I really like how it looks(I know the flag isnt correct, but it was a mistake I realized too late to fix). I also took all of his ideas on how and where to place the vents, which are all backed in black lightweight cloth. Let me tell you the vents work great. Even on the slopes the only day I had any fogging troubles (after the application of 'cat crap' anti fog to the inside) it was -15 with the wind chill and the inside of my visor was freezing instantly. Of course I had good air flow as long as I stayed moving. All weathering effects were achieved by spraying chrome spray paint on a paint brush and dragging the edges.

Mounted on the side is a fire helmet cam. Takes 720p HD video on a wide angle lens. Worked great and you can see part of the helmet in the videos. If I figure out how to upload some to Youtube Ill post a link in here.

Inside the helmet I used a scorpion motorcycle helmet replacement liner. Unfortunately the cheek pads would not fit, so I had to gut them and place some extra hobby foam in the sides. Im still not 100% happy with the foam, so that is something I might redo. Foam is covered in the same cloth the vents are backed with.

So I opted for a regular motorcycle visor because the accurate ones have the lines the obstruct your vision. I also wanted to have a UVA and UVB filtered visor. Field of view was great, minus the small bobble I put in the visor trying to shape it with a heat gun. This part of the helmet was also rushed and I really feel like I could have shaped the visor to fit better if I would have had more time.

I added a chin strap in the helmet since I was hoping that it would provide some sort of head protection on the slopes. I do want to say that this was probably a dangerous choice to rely on this helmet as an actual helmet, and I would do so only at your own risk. That being said, I did have a couple pretty hard falls that I hit my head and I dont think I am any more weird than when I started.

Special thanks to Sean Bradley for his work on the ODST armor, and the great ideas on how to make this helmet comfortable and sweet decorative work. Thanks to Rundown for the pep file and support. Not to mention all of the modelers and those who know how to unfold them so we can attempt this epicness, and to the 405th community for taking the time to help others through information on how to, or great general support.
Hope you guys enjoy!

DSCF2571.jpg

DSCF2574.jpg

DSCF2572.jpg

DSCF2575.jpg

DSCF2576.jpg

A couple more pics can be found in my photobucket album here http://s1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd478/dundee405th/

Hoping to put a couple raw cast on ebay soon. Have to read the rules again, but if I can Ill post a link here.

Wow that absolutely looks amazing. Do you plan on doing more with the webcam, maybe build it as an actual attachment?

Do you have a fan installed? I imagine it's going to get very hot in there very fast.

Thanks!

No fans installed as of yet. Right now its staying cool enough, but I would assume as things warm up I will probably need some.

I started to make the hardened uplink module thats an option for the ODST helm in halo reach, but ran out of time. I planned on putting the helmet cam in that. Thats something that I will still probably do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back