First Helmet, any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kanniba1istic

Ok, im new to this stuff, and the only thing ive made is a crappy marine forearm, and i really want to make a helmet, whats a good beginner helmet thats easy to make? I'm considering EOD at the moment.

thats going on my list, i think if the EOD fails, ill goto the halo 2 odst, then the halo 1 marine, only for the fact that id rather not have an open face helmet. And i know none of them are 'easy', i just want one thats not like a billion pieces =P

Well first attempt at EOD was a failure =3 im going on to the halo 2 odst, kinda running out of paper though.

As a side note, i use scotch tape and i dont use cardstock. makes it a bit more difficult.

dont really have much of a choice to be honest, i dont have any cash, so tapes the best i got, unless there are other alternatives.

dont really have much of a choice to be honest, i dont have any cash, so tapes the best i got, unless there are other alternatives.
Use Elmer's Glue-All then. This is what I use. A small bottle costs less than a dollar. Using scotch tape is a waste of your time. And if cash is an issue, you might want to think twice before getting into this hobby. It could require a huge investment of your time and money.

Yep, This stuff is expensive, one of the cheaper things I've seen is foam armor, guy made a torso, and assorted pieces with $40.
still need a hot glue gun though, and foam sealer, xacto knife, paint... that should be around 60 or 70 dollars I think. And I think
Belakor's low def recon helmet is good for starters

i think i may actually have a hot glue gun lying around somewhere. Also, im well aware of the hurdles involved with not having any money. However, im very enthusiastic in wanting to do this, and i have all the time in the world. A little thing like bankruptcy wont stop me. Thanks for the input though you guys, any idea where i can get the pep for that low def recon by belakor?

i think i may actually have a hot glue gun lying around somewhere. Also, im well aware of the hurdles involved with not having any money. However, im very enthusiastic in wanting to do this, and i have all the time in the world. A little thing like bankruptcy wont stop me. Thanks for the input though you guys, any idea where i can get the pep for that low def recon by belakor?

Most of the models you'll need can be found in this download :D

Yeah, i already had that file thingy, didnt know it was in there.

Well, i tried the H2 odst helmet,and it was working out beautifully, but i scaled the dang thing wrong and its wayy too small, any way one of you guys can scale it for me? i'm 5' 7" and im 17.

Also, while im asking whats a cheap alternative for strengthening?

Go to "2D Menu", Scroll down to "Change Scale" and increase it by 10% a few times. "2D Menu" > "Change Scale" > "+/- 10%".

There is also a formula that will calculate your precise scale, but I can't remember it. I'd recommend measuring your head and inputing that value into the scale (in mm I believe).

Two things regarding your current build.

1) I hate to say it but if you plan to use fibreglass and resin your piece will likely collapse. The reason we use cardstock is because it can support the weight of the resin. Secondly, scotch tape - and most low grade adhesives for that matter - will be dissolved by the resin and your piece will un-pep itself.

Not saying it's impossible, it just won't produce the ideal results.

2) Again, don't mean to be a downer, but it is not appropriate for you to request that we do your scaling. Yes this forum is here to help and provide support and advice, but we aren't here to do your scaling. It's tedious, I know, but if you don't want to do it there's a very likely chance that people here don't either. Obviously there are some very kind people here, and more often than not someone will do you that favour, but it's a struggle enough for folks to figure out their OWN scale. That's just my opinion...

Another reason you should do your own scaling is because, though we know your height, the size and shape of ones skull is a very special thing ;) You'll get the most accurate scaling results if you do the measuring, calculations, and - more often than not - estimations yourself.

Good luck, and I hope your build goes well.

p.s. see if you can't get some friends or family to 'donate' some cardstock for you. Sometimes works!

Well, first off if you haven't already, you should start out with small pieces like shoulder and boot covers. Once you get the hang off it then move on to the helmet. I save the helmet for last. You should build whatever flows your boat, the way I see it is it is your suit your going to be the one wearing it. So you should pick which one besides, if you don't like it or you change your mind you can always start over.

well, i realise now that trying to get someone to scale it for me is retarded =P

Also, i have no plans for fiberglass or resin yet, im gonna do better projects like that when i get a job and have money. I managed to procure some super glue, so i've been using that and its working out fine. Kinda left the armor area a bit, now im working on a reach knife and sheath. I think ill convince my mom to get me some cardstock soon so itll be better work.

I'm really enjoying this, so i think i may turn this little test into a full-on hobby of mine ;]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back