Noble six build work-log (Satchmo III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep...sorry Jico, having pepped this helmet twice already I'm going to proceed with what I have. I do like the detail of the ear-pieces on your model though and would like to see what it looks like built...perhaps you should assemble it brutha!

That helmet looks great! and is that pep proj. An R2D2? if so plz send me the link to download

Thank you sir. If you or anyone else is interested in making a pretty simple R2D2 I've inserted a thumbnail image of the pepakura file and a link to it below. The file is scaled to approximately 10 inches in height. As a caution...I didn't use any references so the model's proportions are probably not accurate...that said, I have built it and it's kind of neat to just have standing around.

th_R2D2alpha-1.jpg
http://www.4shared.com/file/gxYMimZ5/R2_online.html

Although it's very concept-stage right now, someday long from now I hope to use what I'm learning from this community to make a slightly larger, more detailed, and more operational astromech-droid. I can't thank everyone enough for sharing their input, knowledge, and perhaps most importantly, time with others on this site.

Your droid belong to me!

Great pep work. I wonder if you have checked out the smoothcast method of hardening your armor? It seems (I have not tried it yet) to be faster and "less toxic" than the resin method.

I have been thinking of the EVA foam for the rear "exposed" section of the helmet. I think this would look pretty good and still work well.

Originally posted by Dizzerak...

Your droid belong to me!

The way I unfolded the model makes it a bit tricky to construct (this was my first and only as of yet). If it gives you any problems I apologize and if you can and want to re-unfold it please feel free.

Originally posted by Dizzerak...

I have been thinking of the EVA foam for the rear "exposed" section of the helmet. I think this would look pretty good and still work well.

That foam was the first thing that came to my mind. I haven't worked with it but it'd be a good place to start I think. It seems weird the the majority of the back of the helmet wouldn't be made with hard material but I think all of the Reach helmets have this, what I think is, softer material in some degree. In any case I'm going to harden my build complete and then decide if I want to mess around back there afterward.

In the mean time I've been practicing Blender. Please see the pop can model below.

Popcanmodel.jpg

Continuing Blender practice...

Worked up my own Noble VI helmet...way not refined polished but it was good to put together. Much appreciation to the modelers on this site.

Looking forward to the weekend to harden the helmet I have pepped!

N6.jpg

I changed the thread name to 'Noble six helmet build (Satchmo III)' to delineate it from others of similar scope.

Hardening progress to share today. I set up a gnarly temporary-workstation near a shed at a local park (I didn't want to do it at or around the apartment parking lot for concern of people/pets wandering by). I applied a coat of fiberglass resin to the outside and then used the rondo slush-cast method on the inside (much thanks to Ben Streeper and his video tutorials).

IMAG0619-1.jpg
IMAG0620-1.jpg

I intend to do some finish work later on but for now this is how the helmet looks. The resin over the grey paper resulted in a pretty cool look to the helmet as is. I'm tinkering with the idea of making a Spartan/Transformer hybrid...concept photo below...let me know what you think. NOTE: The joke is that the helmet is sitting atop a utility transformer.

IMAG0623-1.jpg
IMAG0624-1.jpg

Also cleaned up the Blender helmet. There's plenty not accurate with it but I kind of dig it. For some reason I'm no longer able to open an exported OBJ of this file in Pepakura Designer. I was messing with some of Blender's transform properties so I'm thinking this is to blame...other exported files still work but this one is messed up (irritating).

N6-1-1.jpg

More to follow later. Thanks everyone for your support and help.

Poor weather has halted progress. I've taken a bit of time to develop a list of completition items for the build. I'm hoping the list will help me to hit the ground running when the weather breaks and to keep me on track through the rest of the build. I have thus far assembled the pepakura and have hardened it. I will most likely revisit this post to update and revise the list as necessary as time progresses. Please feel free to provide any thoughts, ideas, or comments. Thank you.

- Cut out opening for face-plate (Complete)
- Apply second rondo strength layer (Complete)

- Apply first layer of bondo (Complete)
- Sand and rough detail first layer of bondo (Complete)
- Paint with primer (Complete)

- Apply second (touch-up) layer of bondo (Complete)
- Sand and detail second layer of bondo (Complete)
- Paint with primer (Complete)

- Trim neck opening (Complete)

- Size and cut face-plate for opening (Complete)
- Detail the face-plate (Complete)
- Finish face-plate opening seal and test mount (Complete)

- Test mount LED lights, switch, and battery (Complete)
- Test mount air-intake fan, switch, and battery (Complete)
- Cut out openings for LED lights and switches (Complete)
- Drill air-intake holes (Complete)
- Investigate air-exhaust options (Complete)

- Fit interior padding (Complete)
- Fit neck seal (Complete)

- Install and wire LED lights, switch, and battery (Complete)
- Install and wire intake fan, switch, and battery (Complete)

- Add remaining detail with rotary tool
- Apply and sand touch-up bondo if necessary

- Paint with primer if necessary
- Final paint

- Install face-plate
- Install and finish interior padding
- Install and finish neck seal

Helmet is looking good so far. As for the back part of the helm allot of people do it up hard then fine tune it with a dremmel and foamie's. Looking forward to see how this turns out tho. I'll be starting one in about a month or so to complete my suite. Good luck and keep us posted.

Helmet is looking good so far. I wish I could have got to you earlier the smooth cast is they way to go. low fumes, low oder. Been working with it all winter here in MI. As for the back part of the helm allot of people do it up hard then fine tune it with a dremmel and foamie's. Looking forward to see how this turns out tho. I'll be starting one in about a month or so to complete my suite. Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks for the recommendation thorn696. I'll probably look into Smooth Cast a bit down the line. It would be good to avoid toxicity but even with that I don't know if I can avoid the outdoors for sanding-sake. I like your suggestion for the back...I took a bunch of screenshots from the game today and it looks like the "rubbery" material at the back extends around and makes up the neck-seal. I'd like to replicate this but I'm not set on how to do so just yet.

I made modest headway today...cut the face-plate opening (feels like a big milestone) and applied a second layer of rondo to the inside for additional strength. I sanded down some edges a bit to test out sanding by hand and am hoping to apply and sand a coat of bondo to the outside of the helmet tomorrow.

IMAG0635-1.jpg
IMAG0636-1.jpg

Side project: Pepped, outer-resined, and inner-rondo'ed the mothership from Homeworld (great game from the late 20th century). The body is currently in three pieces and there's a separate piece for the main hatch. The height of the ship measures just over two feet when pieced together. When the main hatch was opened in-game it would completely detach from the body...I intend to attach it to the body with magnets. Model credit to Erick Muñoz circa 2005 I think...if anyone's interested in this or other ship models from Homeworld I've included the website I found the mothership at (http://www.ericksmodels.com/paper/models/models.html).

IMAG0638-1.jpg

IMAG0640-1.jpg
IMAG0643-1.jpg

I made modest headway today...cut the face-plate opening (feels like a big milestone) ]

I agree with you there. When I was building my helmet, it felt like a huge block without much definition. Then you cut out the visor and it completely changes things. That's when it becomes a helmet.

You're helmet is coming along nicely, Can't wait for you're next update.

love how its coming along! keep it up!

Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments.

And double-thanks rundown for the model, great work. When I joined up a few months ago and began looking at pepakura I just assumed people pulled the character models directly from the games somehow. After playing around with Blender I've gained respect for what modelers do and appreciate the time and work you guys share with the members of this site.

I've been considering expanding the scope of my build from helmet-only to full-suit/armor. My primary focus for the near-future will be to complete the helmet but I'm going to use this post as an introduction and planning-board for an extended build while I finish up the helmet (although I can easily see these bleeding together).

THE SUIT...

I'd like to make the under-suit not only a companion piece to the armor but also something that could be worn on its own (at least the jacket portion of it). I really dig what tsau-mia is doing with designing a very-detailed female under-suit (http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/29420-Mission-Make-as-accurate-a-Suit-as-possible) and intend to do something similar. Of course function will rule so we'll see how it goes.

THE ARMOR...

I like what others have done with foam but I want a hard set of armor so I plan to primarily go the pepakura to slush-cast or fiberglass route. I will use foam for accents where it makes sense. To start I've compiled the models I'll work with (this may change over time). Below I've listed the compiled pieces, names of the individuals that have modeled and unfolded them, and links to their associated PDO files (I've modified file names to include the modeler/unfolder names and have re-uploaded these files to my 4shared so I have them centralized...if any of the modelers/unfolders take exception to this please let me know and I'll take down your file(s)). I'm thinking the unidentified unfolders below are the same people that did the modeling, if anyone can confirm this I'll update the post accordingly. Thank you guys so much for your work...without the time and thought you donate much would different at the 405th.

Helmet (Model by Rundown, unfold by Brandon McClain)
http://www.4shared.com/file/2YPk8WIg/Reach_helmet_noble_six__Rundow.html

Torso (Model by L3X BLU3R1V3R, unfold by L3X BLU3R1V3R)
http://www.4shared.com/file/nHgfiyH5/Reach_torso_V3_foam__L3X_BLU3R.html
Note: This is version three from L3X BLU3RIV3R.

Bicep (Model by ForgedReclaimer, unfold by Brandon McClain)
http://www.4shared.com/file/k-2UPqIb/Reach_bicep_male_right__Forged.html

Forearm (Model by SJSUSpartan, unfold by Carpathiavh99)
http://www.4shared.com/file/_hXqXw0J/Reach_forearm__SJSUSpartan_.html

Hand-plate (Model by Ruze789, unfold by zero2o2)
http://www.4shared.com/file/QXF1CETE/Reach_hand-plate__Ruze789_zero.html

Cod-piece (Model by RoadWarrior, unfold by RoadWarrior)
http://www.4shared.com/file/eDfHr0U7/Reach_cod-piece__Roadwarrior_.html

Thigh (Model by ForgedReclaimer, unfold by Brandon McClain)
http://www.4shared.com/file/isCi_Pix/Reach_thigh_right_HD__ForgedRe.html

Knee gungnir (Model by ForgedReclaimer, unfold by PsHWilliam043)
http://www.4shared.com/file/7s-gEs4E/Reach_knee_gungnir__Forgedrecl.html

Shin (Model by ForgedReclaimer, unfold by Brandon McClain)
http://www.4shared.com/file/TsOf-83g/Reach_shin_male_right_V2__Forg.html

Boot (Model by AceNat & Ruze789)
http://www.4shared.com/file/xqu5Gnmp/Reach_boot__AceNat__Ruze789_.html

Shoulder EOD (Model by ForgedReclaimer, unfold by box o crayons)
http://www.4shared.com/file/QSrZ7-CM/Reach_shoulder_EOD__ForgedRecl.html

Shoulder security (Model by ForgedReclaimer, unfold by Boba Fett)
http://www.4shared.com/file/wO9MusqC/Reach_shoulder_security__Forge.html

THE LAYOUT...

I really want to set a clear path for the extended build. To this end (and since I find it difficult to keep all of the available models straight in my mind) I've taken screen-shots of armor models (in the pepakura designer) and have over-laid them on a silhouette of my body. What I've come up with is shown below alongside my character from bungie net. I think this gives some sense as to how the parts work together and I'm hoping I can use the layout to scale pieces as well as to extend the visible parts of the under-suit to develop the hidden parts.

LayoutFullsuit2a.jpg

THE SCHEDULE...

Shown below is the preliminary schedule for the primary armor components of the build. This doesn't include the under-suit (right now I'm thinking it makes more sense to wait until after I have the armor). This is a first pass...but if I hit or improve on the dates it'll be complete before Independence Day!

Primary armor components (Updated 05/22/2011)
SchedulearmorV12011053.jpg

SchedulearmorV12011063.jpg

> Note 1: Strapping to be mocked-up during detailing, installed after final paint
> Note 2: SF = Scale-Fail

PEPAKURA STATISTICS...

The following tables consist of the actual durations elapsed to build the primary and secondary armor component pepakura models.

Pepakuratimes6.jpg

Pepakuratimes5.jpg

My mind-set for the progression of this thread is for it to basically be a work log. Any and all input from the community is very welcome and much appreciated. Thanks everyone and keep doing what you do.

"The layout..." This is one of the best layout designs I seen as of yet. The side-by-side pic with the print was nicely done. Modeler/Unfolder names and links is alway good. And I find myself looking forward to seeing more from you on this build. Keep us posted.

I noticed that you have a UA/Base Security shoulderpad on your right bicep of your character but not on your pep model...

Good eye TKim87...thanks for the heads-up on the security shoulder.

This is one of the best layout designs I seen as of yet.

Thanks. I wanted something simple to look at to start planning the build. It's even helped me verify the scale of a few pieces already (more on that to follow).

WEEK #1 PROGRESS SUMMARY...

01) Printed out and assembled torso piece pepakura
02) Applied and rough-sanded first layer of bondo to the exterior of the helmet
03) Printed out cod-piece pepakura

WEEK #1 PROGRESS DETAIL...

"A little bodywork."

The decision to move from a helmet-only to full suit/armor build is officially set in motion. I spent a significant amount of time between Friday afternoon and early this (Sunday) morning assembling the L3X BLU3R1V3R version three torso pepakura model. It turned out great and I'm very excited to keep going. I started with the torso because A) it's basically the center-piece of the build and B) I figured if I could tackle the large and quite detailed torso I can tackle pert well any pepakura I'm going to encounter. I tried it on before it was totally complete to make sure it fit (it should do well especially with an under-suit on). I love the picture with the pepakura helmet sitting atop the pepakura torso (the helmet's an earlier iteration of the one I'm now working on). I moved to resin the exterior of the torso today but it was far too windy, and then precipitation-y, out so that'll have to wait for another day.

IMAG0683-2.jpg
IMAG0686-2.jpg
IMAG0690-2.jpg

I felt the torso was a major pepakura undertaking (mainly due to it's size and many pieces). Somewhere during the time I was cutting pieces out I switched from using cardboard as a cutting board to a piece of craft foam. This worked excellently and served to dull the exacto-knife blade less than cardboard. If you don't want to buy (or can't find) one of those self-healing cutting boards I'd suggest a piece of craft foam. Before printing out the pepakura pieces I used Pepakura Designer to get the original 37 page model to fit on 29 pages. In laying the 29 piles of pieces on make-shift tables surrounding a swivel chair I was able to reference Pepakura Viewer on the computer and turn around and find the pieces more easily than if they had been lumped in one pile or just lying on the floor. With the tunes pumping I really liked my time in this pepakura cock-pit.

IMAG0649-2.jpg
IMAG0650-2.jpg

Since a little wind can't hurt the already hardened helmet I was able to apply and rough-sand a primary bondo layer to its exterior before it started to sprinkle outside. It's getting there but there's still quite a way to go. I lost some hard lines under the muck that is bondo but plan to regain them later with a rotary tool.

IMAG0706-2.jpg
IMAG0707-2.jpg
IMAG0708-2.jpg

I've started collecting data on how long it takes me to cut-out, edge-score, and fold/assemble pepakura models and will be maintaining a table in my planning post (http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/30987-Noble-six-helmet-build-(Satchmo-III)?p=529572#post529572). Using the number of pieces as a base I'm going to use this info to project how long future pepakura builds may take as well as to show others how long it might take to build a particular model (for instance, it took me a total of 25 hours to build the L3X BLU3R1V3R version three torso which equates to an average of seven minutes per piece). I may start a separate thread for people to post and identify models they've built and provide finish-images and this time info for others to view. I know things like skill play into these things greatly but it'd be interesting and maybe helpful to those trying to gauge time-commitments for pepakura. Perhaps the fastest times would be displayed on the cover-post and that would be like a king-of-the-hill situation. Let me know if you think something like this would be good and useful for the masses or not (either way I'll be logging my data here).

I think it'll be next weekend before I can do any more bondo or fiberglass work. Until then I've printed out Rhinoc's cod-piece model (in color by accident) to assemble. Based on the seven minutes per piece data from the torso model the 53 pieces of the cod should take 6.5 hours to make...but since it doesn't have as many small detail pieces I think it'll take two thirds of that time.

See...the data has already proven useful (just sayin'...Super Saiyan).

Sorry about that, I didn't get much sleep this weekend. Keep building 405th!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back