Noble six build work-log (Satchmo III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used the same codpiece file you have, but after scaling the width of it, the front to back distance is still way too big. Say I scale the width to 400mm, the depth becomes 344mm, but for another 400mm file I have (Not as game accurate), the depth is only 259mm. This is a huge difference of 85mm, and as far as I know can't be solved by scaling. How have you managed with the one you made, because in the photos it seems to be a pretty good shape?

The scale I settled on for Roadwarrior's model went like: H300, W394, and D339. It fits me pretty well both width-wise and depth-wise. Perhaps the other model you're considering is too shallow when you adjust the width correctly.

In any event when determining the scale of a belt piece you should keep in mind that you may need additional space to account for an under-suit. You should also consider how you are going to wear the belt...I intend to break the hardened belt model in sections and then attach those sections to a continuous belt strap underneath so there will be some flex to it as it goes around my waist. This way, even if the model isn't sized absolutely correctly, you're able to shave down the size of some sections if too big or replace some sections if too small (or just leave some of the belt strap exposed). Personally I would tend to scale the model so that the cod-piece is in proportion to the rest of the build and then figure out how to make the belt work after.

Good luck with your build. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

dude, i'm totally bummed. I just discovered this thread, and am now completely caught up with your progress, and i can't wait for more. I applaud you on your work so far, and your organizational ability! I'm planning on doing a foam build within this next year, and watching your step by step(regardless of resin method) is a huge help. Thanks!

This is looking incredible Satchmo! The weather stripping on the faceplate is a stroke of genius that I intend on stealing. Cant wait to see it all panted up. Are you going to weather/battle damage it or leave it in show room condition?

WEEK #10 PROGRESS SUMMARY...

01) Worked on helmet finishing details
X1) Achieved infantryman status

WEEK #10 PROGRESS DETAIL...

"Infantry."

I achieved a minimum of progress this week. Bad weather and a short rotary-tool battery-life made for little finish work completed on the helmet. So this week I submit but one image...the collected armor as it sits today all piled and condensed as much as possible. Modern art, anyone?

IMAG1324-1.jpg

I'm honored to mention in this week's entry that I've been granted Infantryman status here at the 405th. Although gaining the status wasn't a primary concern I do appreciate the feeling of being integrated more with the community. I hope I'm able to give back to everyone in the future.

My little brother from out of state is visiting me for the next two weeks which is great. Now, we can Reach it up from the same room (as well as hang out doing other stuff). His character wears the JFO helmet in-game and we're already off and running on his own build. He has already scored the folds and is currently cutting the pieces out. I'll have to extend the duration of my own build in order to collaborate but it'll be fun working together on his.

Thanks everyone, keep your projects flowing! Look forward to some sweet JFO-action!

WEEK #10 POST RESPONSES...

dude, i'm totally bummed. I just discovered this thread, and am now completely caught up with your progress, and i can't wait for more. I applaud you on your work so far, and your organizational ability! I'm planning on doing a foam build within this next year, and watching your step by step(regardless of resin method) is a huge help. Thanks!

Thanks so much spaceg0st! This is one of the nicest comments I've received. I'm glad I can help and hope I'm able to have more progress than this week to show soon. Good luck with your build when you get at it!

This is looking incredible Satchmo! The weather stripping on the faceplate is a stroke of genius that I intend on stealing. Cant wait to see it all panted up. Are you going to weather/battle damage it or leave it in show room condition?

Thanks Clarkalot! I think the weather-stripping makes the helmet a bit more functional and it allows a tight seal to be made with a face-plate that's easy to remove/replace. I'd definitely like to create some weathering but this is a skill I don't yet possess...keyword being 'yet'.

well man i love what you are doing with this build you are making me jealous of you i have yet to start my build because i am out of state and i will be out of state another 2 weeks minimum but im thinking of doing some small pieces to get used to pep and i wish you the best with your build man

I do beleive this is gonna be wicked project (once its done) and cant wait for the Models to actualy be built. That would look Amasing.

This really is an awesome build. I love your take on the visor install & detail. Its funny cause I just tried this method on a scrap visor. It really gives the lines a cleaner look. Prior to that test on the scrap piece, I used sand paper to clean the lines up. However, the rotary tool idea seems to work the best provided you keep your hand steady on it. With your permission of course, I'd like to add some of these pictures to the tutorial. Well let me know. Also, great job on the whole build. I like your meticulous thought process to the whole thing. Again, great work!

WEEK #11 PROGRESS SUMMARY...

X1) Began work on JFO helmet build with guest-builder, and brother, ionHighlander (http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/33249-JFO-helmet-build-work-log-%28Satchmo-III%29)

WEEK #11 PROGRESS DETAIL...

"No news equals good news?"

As mentioned last week my brother is staying with me for a bit and we have a JFO helmet build underway. He's with me for only a short while so time/resources this week went to that and no (significant) progress was made on Mark V(b) helmet or armor. I don't expect to gain measurable progress until the JFO helmet is complete (scheduled for the end of next week).

If interested in the JFO helmet please feel free to check out the build progress at its work-log (link above). It's great having my brother stay with me for a couple of weeks and a stellar bonus to be able to work with him on armor.

Keep building, four-oh-five!

WEEK #11 POST RESPONSES...

Oh nice congrats man. Great work on your armor. what happened to your transformer chief lol ;)

Hmm...that project got moved to the back-burner. Thanks for the congrats and for mentioning the joke, I was thinking no one caught it.

I do beleive this is gonna be wicked project (once its done) and cant wait for the Models to actualy be built. That would look Amasing.

Hmm...thank you, I apologize if this is a language issue but you read as a spam-bot which is supported by your low post-count and the questionable gold-related links in your signature.

well man i love what you are doing with this build you are making me jealous of you i have yet to start my build because i am out of state and i will be out of state another 2 weeks minimum but im thinking of doing some small pieces to get used to pep and i wish you the best with your build man

Thanks for the well-wish, thorgod. If you're patient and like putting together things like jigsaw puzzles or models pepakura will be good to you. If not, persevere and break through the (sometimes) tedium...awesome things can be materialized from naught but card-stock and glue. Not physically being able to start for a bit might provide some time to study and plan.

This really is an awesome build. I love your take on the visor install & detail. Its funny cause I just tried this method on a scrap visor. It really gives the lines a cleaner look. Prior to that test on the scrap piece, I used sand paper to clean the lines up. However, the rotary tool idea seems to work the best provided you keep your hand steady on it. With your permission of course, I'd like to add some of these pictures to the tutorial. Well let me know. Also, great job on the whole build. I like your meticulous thought process to the whole thing. Again, great work!

Thanks BLACKULA727! I would be pleased if you added some of the photos here into your visor tutorial thread (which helped me quite a bit, honestly). I'm really just trying to wrap my head around all of the techniques and materials used in this hobby and have tried to examine and use the ones that appeal to me.

Nice work on this! I'll be following along for tips to use in my own build.

Great! I hope you are able to find some things useful and good luck with your build.

Wow, you made my work look like **** ... just kidding, your skills are amazing, thank you, a very inspiring, you have a new fan xD.

if you do not mind, I have taken the same parts of the armor you use, and have used almost the same system to scale everything to fit me.

PS: can you tell me the heigth of your helmet? thx

WEEK #12 PROGRESS SUMMARY...

X1) Continued work on JFO helmet (http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/33249-JFO-helmet-build-work-log-(Satchmo-III))
X2) Modeled needler weapon (http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/32448-Model-portfolio-(Satchmo-III)])

WEEK #12 PROGRESS DETAIL...

"Absence make the halo grow fonder."

No progress to report on the Noble Six build. Work forged ahead on the JFO helmet this week and I found some time to hone my (modest) modeling skills drafting the Reach needler (check it out at the link above).

Looking forward to getting back at it. Until then, keep the forging fires burning, everyone!

WEEK #12 POST RESPONSES...

Wow, you made my work look like **** ... just kidding, your skills are amazing, thank you, a very inspiring, you have a new fan xD.

if you do not mind, I have taken the same parts of the armor you use, and have used almost the same system to scale everything to fit me.

PS: can you tell me the heigth of your helmet? thx

Thanks Vegm. I scaled the helmet to 286 mm. No problem grabbing the models...if you wouldn't mind though, maybe you could use a different paint scheme? Just kidding (sorta serious though), good luck with your build! It's a good idea to credit the modelers somewhere in your build thread if you have one.

You're build is coming along nicely. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with you're helmet next.

The scale I settled on for Roadwarrior's model went like: H300, W394, and D339. It fits me pretty well both width-wise and depth-wise. Perhaps the other model you're considering is too shallow when you adjust the width correctly.

I'll go with that scaling then... I'd originally had the width at 410mm, so going to 394 isnt much of a difference. Since attemting resizing, I have also decided to split it into 4 pieces (Front, back, and the 2 side pouch things), so I can actually make it smaller than necessary and just join the pieces like a belt.

WEEK #13 PROGRESS SUMMARY...

X1) Continued work on JFO helmet (http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/33249-JFO-helmet-build-work-log-(Satchmo-III))
X2) Modeled elite ranger helmet (http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/32448-Model-portfolio-(Satchmo-III))

WEEK #13 PROGRESS DETAIL...

"JFO helmet:1, V(b) helmet:0."

More of the same as last week. Took my brother home this past Friday after working heavily with him on his JFO helmet this past week. Now that that project is wrapped (at least my physical involvement with it) I should be able to find some time to continue with the Noble Six build. If you've been following, thanks for your patience.

In other (semi-related) news: I did model up an elite ranger helmet this past weekend. Check it out at the model portfolio link above if interested.

WEEK #13 POST RESPONSES:

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with you're helmet next.

Me too, man. Me too.

WEEK #14 PROGRESS SUMMARY...

X1) Modeled focus rifle (http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/32448-Model-portfolio-(Satchmo-III))
X2) Began focus rifle build (http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/33660-Focus-rifle-build-(Satchmo-III))

WEEK #14 PROGRESS DETAIL...

"Need to get some focus."

I suck again. Although I have no progress to report on the armor proper I have started a focus rifle build to compliment it. I'll be tracking progress with the focus rifle in a separate thread. Please feel free to check it out.

It seems the hot dawg days of summer are starting to ease off a bit so working outside will be a bit more tolerable (not that that's the primary cause of the stop-work on this build...damnable expanding interests and outside influences). Progress is forthcoming, please bear with me. If no progress is made during this coming week I will forgo posing an update (but I do not foresee that happening).

I know plenty of others are doing well with the pace of their builds. Keep it up, everyone!

WEEK #15 PROGRESS SUMMARY...

X1) Blah...

WEEK #15 PROGRESS DETAIL...

"Distraction."

I suck again.

...however, instead of posting empty-handed (as I have completed zero work related to the Noble Six build) I've decided to use this week's post to showcase an earlier work.

A couple of weeks before I discovered this site and hobby it was the 2010 holiday season. For a friends Christmas gift I decided to make an over-sized SNES controller (we grew up playing the super nintendo), I thought it'd be cool and funny.

Materials used included cardboard, duct-tape, paper-mache (newspaper, flour, and water), acrylic paints, and some kind of dry-wall sealer. There was no real plan but I used a couple of reference photos to gauge size/spacing.

Controller1.jpg

Controller2.jpg

Controller3.jpg

Controller4.jpg

Full-sized pictures can be viewed at the following link at my Photobucket account (http://s1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd492/Satchmo_III/SNES controller/). Thanks for checking it out, hopefully I can get back into the swing of the build for next week.

WEEK #15 POST RESPONSES:

Everything's looking beautiful!
amazing... this is some of the best pep work ive seen!

Thanks, guys!

WEEK #15 PROGRESS SUMMARY...

X1) Blah...

WEEK #15 PROGRESS DETAIL...

"Distraction."

...however, instead of posting empty-handed (as I have completed zero work related to the Noble Six build) I've decided to use this week's post to showcase an earlier work.

A couple of weeks before I discovered this site and hobby it was the 2010 holiday season. For a friends Christmas gift I decided to make an over-sized SNES controller (we grew up playing the super nintendo), I thought it'd be cool and funny.

Materials used included cardboard, duct-tape, paper-mache (newspaper, flour, and water), acrylic paints, and some kind of dry-wall sealer. There was no real plan but I used a couple of reference photos to gauge size/spacing.

Controller1.jpg

Controller2.jpg

Controller3.jpg

Controller4.jpg

Full-sized pictures can be viewed at the following link at my Photobucket account (http://s1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd492/Satchmo_III/SNES controller/). Thanks for checking it out, hopefully I can get back into the swing of the build for next week.

WEEK #15 POST RESPONSES:

Thanks, guys!

LMAO!! XD!! That thing is soo badass!!

Do the buttons work at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back