Noble six build work-log (Satchmo III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm ...you know...I might just be able to play a platform sys with one of those without my fingers getting all messed up. naw.

Nice work tho. :D

That controller is awesome. Very creative and an awesome gift! I grew up with SNES too. I don't know how many times I've beaten Super Mario World and Donkey Kong Country. Also, many late nights of NBA Jam. I could see it being much more difficult with that controller. I didn't think it could get much worse than the original xbox fatties.

WEEK #16 PROGRESS SUMMARY...

X1) Modeling work (http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/32448-Model-portfolio-(Satchmo-III))

WEEK #16 PROGRESS DETAIL...

"Distracted."

Efforts this week were directed at modeling up some Elite armor (while watching about 30 episodes of the original Star Trek). If interested please check out those yields at the link above. When winter rolls around I will find regret with not fully utilizing the nice weather when it was available.

WEEK #16 POST RESPONSES...

LMAO!! XD!! That thing is soo badass!!

Do the buttons work at all?

Nah, it's all static. Only had a few days, not enough time to plan moving parts out.

Hmmm ...you know...I might just be able to play a platform sys with one of those without my fingers getting all messed up. naw.

Nice work tho. :D

I think if they revived the Super Nintendo with a Dance Dance Revolution game they'd use a controller like this to dance upon.

That controller is awesome. Very creative and an awesome gift! I grew up with SNES too. I don't know how many times I've beaten Super Mario World and Donkey Kong Country. Also, many late nights of NBA Jam. I could see it being much more difficult with that controller. I didn't think it could get much worse than the original xbox fatties.

Good times, good times.

I actually liked the original Xbox controller...you could more or less just rest your hands upon it for which I had no real grief.

Dedicated members of the 405th: I will be putting this project on hold for a month or so while I prepare and then move myself from Saint Paul, MN to Lincoln, NE sometime mid-September. I intend to still monitor the site and work on others things like modeling but don't foresee having the time to commit to actual construction.

As always, thank you for your interest and keep up your builds!

HOLY $#!T u are a boss at this stuff!

Thanks (and excellent use of symbols to replace letters in an expletive word). Have you started any projects yet or are you still in research-mode?

Thanks (and excellent use of symbols to replace letters in an expletive word). Have you started any projects yet or are you still in research-mode?

i've done most of my research, just doing some little experiments with all the different naterials so i know how to use them all for when i do start. I am thinking of making jorge as my 1st armour set.

TANGENT UPDATE #1 SUMMARY...

01) Assembled paper for new helmet
02) Applied primary resin to helmet's exterior and interior
03) Applied rondo coat to helmet's interior
04) Applied fiberglass mat to helmet's interior
05) Rough sanded helmet

TANGENT UPDATE #1 DETAIL...

It is the case that this project has been shelved for far too long. At some point this summer I intend to pick it back up in earnest but for the time being I will be back tracking in order to make a new helmet. I've been wanting to do this ever since I unfolded the very accurate model (about 10 months ago) that Jico brought to the forums (http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/33078-Reach-game-models!-pic-heavy).

To begin, I re-unfolded the model and after hardening it and doing a few lifts of bondo work I decided it was a bit too large. So, I rescaled the pepakura after modifying the model to delete some of the unnecessarily skinny pieces and then I assembled the paper using hot glue.

pepstats-six.jpg

The modified model took a significantly shorter amount of time to build and resulted in fewer warping concerns later on (not that there were huge concerns with the original model to begin with).

six1-1.jpg

After applying resin to the model's exterior and interior I moved to rondo the interior. I had extra strawberry milkshake leftover so I painted some on the exterior to prime it for future bondo work.

six1-2.jpg

After applying fiberglass mat to the interior and rough sanding the rondo and some of the sharper edges I prime painted the helmet to see what it looked like.

six1-3.jpg

Overall I'm pretty pleased with how things are progressing. I will be shaping and detailing the helmet over the next few weeks. Updates will be provided as work progresses. If anyone has specific questions on how I've approached something please let me know.

I've enjoyed watching a multitude of builds over the last few months and am happy to be getting my hands dirty once more. Keep building, Nobles.

TANGENT UPDATE #1 POST RESPONSES...

Nice job ! really clean and neat, keep up the good work :D

Thanks, HaloUTS.

i've done most of my research, just doing some little experiments with all the different naterials so i know how to use them all for when i do start. I am thinking of making jorge as my 1st armour set.

Dig in.

Oh snap, I better get off my duff on my helmet!

It's a great unfold, and I've been having fun messing around with it, glad to see your take on your great file!

Its coming along very nice man, hope mine will look like this when im done that is if I ever start working on it.

TANGENT UPDATE #2 SUMMARY...

01) Cut face-plate opening
02) Trimmed neck opening

TANGENT UPDATE #2 DETAIL...

Not much time was dedicated to the helmet this week. I trimmed the neck-opening and cut the face-plate opening so I could test fit the helmet. My little dremel was not doing great so I helped it out by pre-drilling holes around the opening. The model face-plate will be used as a vacuum-forming buck template. Check out update #2 for my Commando helmet to see the general outline for the face-plate cutting activity (http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/36501-Build-anthology-1-(Satchmo-III)?p=606257#post606257).

Also, Halo totem pole.

noblesix2-1.jpg

noblesix2-2.jpg

With the model face-plate cut out the opening will be easier to detail in the coming week(s). I'll also be smoothing out the model face-plate to get the forming buck ready.

Thank you for reading. Until next time. Keep building, four-oh-five.

TANGENT UPDATE #2 POST RESPONSES...

Oh snap, I better get off my duff on my helmet!

It's a great unfold, and I've been having fun messing around with it, glad to see your take on your great file!

Your is looking great. I'm astounded but what you're doing with the ear-pieces. Great use of the technology that is at your disposal...I must acquire one of those printers some day.

Looks great, Nice to see you back at.:cool

Thanks, obviously I'm one of those builders that takes their time. I really need to start checking off some of these in-progress projects before starting new ones (it's a bad habit I can't seem to shake). Lots of balls in the air.

Its coming along very nice man, hope mine will look like this when im done that is if I ever start working on it.

Thank you. Just gotta jump in...and keep swimming...just keep swimming.

Looking awesome. I like the angled edges you're doing on the top and the cheeks. I smoothed them out on mine, but they are looking awesome on yours.

Yeah, that 3d printer is great, I'm working on replacing the vents on the cheeks and ears now, since the earcups worked so awesomely, I want to do the forehead connector too, but that might be too difficult.

The funny thing about those printers, is they come with the bare necessities to operate, and they print the rest of their own parts, kind of "Robot domination" creepy...

What scale are you going with for the helmet?

Hey man Ive never seen such rapid progress before, Im gonna start work on my BMcCain N6 helmet in a the next few days.

Its a question of scaling though, how did you scale yours? Any extra help would be greatly appreciated.

you should just build a set with a head stack like you made there and be a 3 headed hydra spartan WWAAAHHH!!!!!!! haha j/k

:D

they're looking great, and once again THANK YOU for the work you've done
i love your concept builds im actually changing up my reach spartan with some of your concept pieces.
if you dont mind i want to brand them with your name on the forearms when i finish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back