405th Unity project Idea (For charity, need volunteers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unity

405th Unity project (For childs play charity, YOU can contribute as well!)

ATTENTION: The helmet sold for close to $900

You can now follow us on the Soaring Hammer Forums ! - http://forum.soaringhammer.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=208&p=1178#p1178

Current helmet status : Helmet was signed by Steve Downs at HaloFest 2011!
Hello all

The other day, I was sitting around thinking of the 405th. I thought about the 3 words that are strung aross our insignia- Honor , Armor , Unity . I thought about the last 2 the most. And then I thought, What could we do that would unify members that involves armor. Well I thought that we could assemble a team to make a helmet and then donate it to charity. The Idea is for 1 person to make the pepakura, ship it to the next person who would re-enforce it and send it to the next person who would have a designated area of the helmet to work on who would then send it to the next ect, ect. Thanks guys! Your Questions and comments are welcome!

We will be building the MKVI helmet as it is the most Iconic.

Here is a list of people who will be working on the helmet. Sorry we are no longer accepting people as we have more than enough. . Thanks everyone!

Soul-Drinker (Pepakua work) - FINISHED
JBetts97 (Reenforcing) - In progress
Deus Ex (Bondo work)-
Nintendude (Bondo work)-
Sir Tsaboc (Electronics and Visor)-
Troubleis1983 (Final Paint Job)-

Troubleis1983 is DONE painting the helmet! The helmet is now on its way to SirTsaboc for the duel layer visor!! Updates will come as they happen!

Soul did a fantastic job on this one! (more pics on page 9)

unityhelmandfunnerallunch-in103.jpg

The finished paint job! (more pics about half way down page 13)

IMG_1299-Copy.jpg

IMG_1300-Copy.jpg

-Jacob

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds great! Although I recommend you only do it to members you know by name on the forums. Don't send it to people that are relatively new (me included). There's a lot of good people in this world, but there's also a few bad ones. You wouldn't want to ship an almost complete helmet to someone only to have them run away with it :(

Besides that, I would love to see how a community oriented helmet would turn out!

So how would this work? Would we sell the helmet and donate the proceeds to charity? I could probably do the hardening with Smooth Cast 320.

I believe he means send the actual helmet to a charity.

I remember that project, it would have been great if it worked out, and to be a part of it

Sounds interesting, the only question I have is what charity would get it?

Im looking into Childs Play

Sounds great! Although I recommend you only do it to members you know by name on the forums. Don't send it to people that are relatively new (me included). There's a lot of good people in this world, but there's also a few bad ones. You wouldn't want to ship an almost complete helmet to someone only to have them run away with it :(

Besides that, I would love to see how a community oriented helmet would turn out!

Yes, I will be contacting people I know by name.

A similar project was in the works but never got off the ground. See: The Traveling Helmet, started by Nintendude. Read through it for ideas on tracking and such... It's a great idea you have, one I would love to be a part of, just so long as it doesn't have the same fate as the first attempt...

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/25325-The-Traveling-Helmet?highlight=traveling+helmet

Ah yes! I remember that! I want to get this started as fast as possible! Ill look too that thread for tips.

So how would this work? Would we sell the helmet and donate the proceeds to charity? I could probably do the hardening with Smooth Cast 320.

Yes, They have auctions and We would donate it too the auction. I still have to look into that. I will keep you in mind!

This is an excellent idea! This is something I would definitely love to get involved with! I generally specialize in post-casting (dremeling, fine details, painting by can or by hand)

Well id really like to get involved with this, but since im just starting out, theres really not that much i can do when it comes to the actual armour making. However i did have an idea though, there have been full suits that have sold on ebay for thousands of dollars, so what if we got the best of the best around here to make the best quality suit possible, sell it, then donate that money to charity?

The time, money, and energy that would have to be invested in it would be insane, plus noone really has time to spend hundreds of hours of work for nothing. There might be someone that could, but I doubt it.

EDIT: also, I can't start just yet, I need to go pick up some cardstock as I used the last of it last week. Minimum, I will cut out and score the entire thing, and let someone else assemble it. I'm currently modifying the unfold a little bit to make it easier anyway.

Well id really like to get involved with this, but since im just starting out, theres really not that much i can do when it comes to the actual armour making. However i did have an idea though, there have been full suits that have sold on ebay for thousands of dollars, so what if we got the best of the best around here to make the best quality suit possible, sell it, then donate that money to charity?

It is a good Idea but it would take TONS of cash. I have a few people who are willing to donate money for shipping though. That is the only thing that we will have to pay for, is the shipping, Which is a KILLER! Welcome to the 405th!

The time, money, and energy that would have to be invested in it would be insane, plus noone really has time to spend hundreds of hours of work for nothing. There might be someone that could, but I doubt it.

EDIT: also, I can't start just yet, I need to go pick up some cardstock as I used the last of it last week. Minimum, I will cut out and score the entire thing, and let someone else assemble it. I'm currently modifying the unfold a little bit to make it easier anyway.

Ok man. I still have to find more people, so take your time. I could find someone to assemble it if you cant. Thanks again man!

Unfortunatley it never took off. Wonderfull concept, with a sad ending. I dont want that to happen to this. Since I already have people working on it, I think we will be pretty good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back