Custom Built Dead Space RIG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone at the 405th!

I've been using this site for research for about a year, getting peps and ideas. etc.
Finally, I think I can be of some use to the forum.

Alright, to the main point:
So after playing through Dead Space and Dead Space 2, I came up with the idea of making a custom RIG that actually functions as armor and not just a costume.

I wanted a replacement riot suit, (My chainmail suit sucks against baseball bats and is unbalanced.) that is form fitting, flexible, can stop blunt & edged weapons up to 200 lbs/ft, gas/water sealed, some fire-proof capabilities, fast-donning, joint supports, an external infrared camera, internal HUD with 3 LCDs, voice modulator, CB radio...
Blah blah blah... I won't get too technical here right now. :p

I've decided to model the helmet and plates in Milkshape3D, open the models up in Pepakura Designer, make a paper model then print another set, and make a 16 ga. or 14 ga. steel shell by following the model and careful hammer strikes. After I weld the pieces together, I want to coat the inner layers with materials like kevlar, styrene or bondo (haven't decided yet), and a thin layer of kydex to contain it. Approximately 3/8-1/2 in. in thickness.

ETA: 10 months. Due to low income.

UPDATE: Just acquired a flight suit, leather scraps, elastic material, and some rivets for the undersuit. I'll have pics up after I modify the flightsuit to fit. Just need kydex and foam to finish.

I set up a 4shared. Links are below the pictures. :D

180856_191964257494401_100000424836006_598534_112012_n.jpg

Lame sketch, I know. But it was easier to model around a simple picture like this one.

180707_192064567484370_100000424836006_599037_3433873_n.jpg

Hey, at least it looks cool. :p

180959_192475410776619_100000424836006_602095_5370822_n.jpg

Well, this is what I came out with. Turns out, this model will be too small for the applications and padding I want. Working on a larger one now.

180574_195487733808720_100000424836006_621181_516230_n.jpg

179857_195516077139219_100000424836006_621309_1723698_n.jpg

Files:
Note: Some of these are not scaled correctly. Make sure you look at them before you print!

The 3D Model:
The Titan Helm 4.2.obj

The Final:
The Titan Helm (Complete).pdo

Designer Format:
The Titan Helm (Designer).pdo

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey thanks, I appreciate it. Unfolding it turned it into some kind of nightmare. Having a few people working on an unfold will prove to be much more effective.

A download link would be highly appreciated.And is that your desing or from some DLC pack?

Nope. Entirely handmade by me. Although inspiration came from combining the Security suit and the Advanced suit.

As for the link, I'll figure out how to set up a 4shared or something...
*Edit: Done. Links are under the pictures.

Also, the DLC armors are just re-textured versions of the four 15% protection suits in the campaign.
I wouldn't waste my money on those. Especially since I earned the Arctic Security Suit on Zealot. :D

Nope. Entirely handmade by me. Although inspiration came from combining the Security suit and the Advanced suit.

As for the link, I'll figure out how to set up a 4shared or something...
*Edit: Done. Links are under the pictures.

Also, the DLC armors are just re-textured versions of the four 15% protection suits in the campaign.
I wouldn't waste my money on those. Especially since I earned the Arctic Security Suit on Zealot. :D

Awesomesauce!Keep up the good work! :D

Extremely nice model.
But is there a chance i can get the Password for the .pdo file, so that i can move / edit the pieces? (To fit with the marks for my CraftRobo).
Or if possible the Designer file?

I would very much like to play around with this beautiful helmet.
Thanks.

Crap. I forgot to scale it after I finished the back piece. After pepping some of it, its not going to be as big as I hoped for. Oh well... at least it won't look like I have a giant head.. :/

You know that Kevlar and Carbon fiber fabric can be used just like fiberglass cloth right? It would be far lighter, and just as strong if you were to do it purely with kevlar and resin. Bondo is not strong so I advise against using it in this. Modern military helmets are made with resined kevlar.

You know that Kevlar and Carbon fiber fabric can be used just like fiberglass cloth right? It would be far lighter, and just as strong if you were to do it purely with kevlar and resin. Bondo is not strong so I advise against using it in this. Modern military helmets are made with resined kevlar.

This is true, bondo tends to shatter and wouldn't prove to be useful against heavy impacts, even layered between steel and kydex. Aqua-Resin sounded like a good choice but I'm not familiar with it, as well as fiberglass resin. (Sticky mess!)

But all the harder substances will be made after I complete and test ALL the pieces for articulation and movement. So, I'll be pepping and lining everything with a homemade styrene before making a cast and creating a final suit.

I don't get why you want to line Steel with Kevlar. The normal resin that is used for fiberglass is fine. Aqua resin is non toxic on application, but has to be got on the internet.

Also, why do you want a "riot proof" suit?

I don't get why you want to line Steel with Kevlar. The normal resin that is used for fiberglass is fine. Aqua resin is non toxic on application, but has to be got on the internet.

Also, why do you want a "riot proof" suit?

I'd like to make it riot-proof so I can go paint-balling in it and not even feel the impact, or if there is an outbreak of chaos I won't be as vulnerable to malicious activities. So to a high degree, functional.

I think steel is a good medium because if made right it will bend or flex instead of cracking or breaking. I like the tensile strength of kevlar fabric (Not the same as the bullet-proof kind).
But I might not even use it. I might just substitute in a gel layer if it can reduce impact force.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back