Carter build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Jester

This is my first attempt at Pepakura. Any advise or helpful criticism is more than welcome.

I have already been informed that I should have used hot glue instead of tape. But hey, it was all I had yesterday. I just finished the first layer of resin, so we will see how well the tape holds up.
DSC_5775.jpg

DSC_5772.jpg

DSC_5771.jpg

i think if you want since the tape is on the outside of the pep you could possible slush coat the inside of the helmet with resin starting with light coats just so that it holds it's shape (if there isn't any tape on the inside) and then continue to the outside again with light coats of resin. I resined my cod piece with a couple light coats while a piece of scotch tape was holding the two halves together and it seemed to still be intact after the first 2 coats. If you really want to be sure you can always use a resin alternative like aqua resin. It's a little more expensive but it's water based so you don't have to worry about it eating away at the tape from what i've heard on some other threads. So you might want to look into that if it's available to you. If not i would just go with light coats until your helmet is hardened and hopefully the tape will stay intact. good luck!

hot glue is not the best, if you use hotglue the resin heats up to cure and will make the hotglue melt thus your piece will fall apart, also it doesnt give you enough time to align pieces if you mess up at first

So so good on the resin. The tape seems to be holding up to the resin. Will be putting the first heavy coat on tomorrow morning. Will put up more pics in a day or so.

hot glue is not the best, if you use hotglue the resin heats up to cure and will make the hotglue melt thus your piece will fall apart, also it doesnt give you enough time to align pieces if you mess up at first

i dont think it heats up that much...if it does i think you may be using too much hardener because so far none of my pieces have fallen apart. as for messing up isn't hot glue the best method because it allows you to reheat and redo a section if you screw up, rather than having the adhesive cure and not having a way to go back such as crazy glue etc.

So so good on the resin. The tape seems to be holding up to the resin. Will be putting the first heavy coat on tomorrow morning. Will put up more pics in a day or so.

thats awesome! it's always good when things turn out the way you want it too. If you have only 1 thin coat i would try to put another one on before slathering the resin on just to be safe ;)

I started to notice a little warping on bigger flat areas. Is that normal? I didn't put a heavy layer on yet, so I am thinking of doing at least 2 more thin layers just to make sure I get a solid base.

I need to find someone that wouldn't mind unfolding something for me. It is the Rinzler Tron Identity Disc split into two halfs just like in the movie. I just seem to suck at unfolding. Someone please help.

And if anyone Happens to know someone named Dung0Beetle, please ask him about getting a complete copy of the file.

Carter_Helm_A1TD_unfold by Brandon McClain. It was really well done and easy to follow.

After 6 months of no time to do anything I am finally getting back into the garage get back to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back