My Foam M8 Avenger Mass Effect Rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nintendude

So far this is after 2 days of work. Next step will be to coat with fiberglass resin and brush a coat of bondo on it then sand, add black foamies sheets to it for the details of the rifle, add some PVC for the barrel, and then paint. Right now I have another 9 of these rifles built that I've done in a period of two days up to this stage right now it's just 5 layers of blue foam camping mat although I'm thinking of removing a layer on each side of the butt of the rifle itself so the butt of the rifle will be a little thinner than the rifle itself, I'll be resining, bondoing, and probably sanding tomarrow. I will be selling the other 9 rifles shortly for people that are intrested and on eBay probably in the $70 range for a completed one. The only thing that will move on it will be the trigger which I'll leave foam but paint it.
2z9mbn5.jpg

Really cool project, but how strong will the foam be once it is resined will it still bend? hope you post your progress i would really like to see how this turns out

I was just looking at that stuff the other day, saying to my self what I could build with that stuff. Now I know. Can't wait to see your weapon now.

ok depending upon how many sheets of foam you bought and how many tins of bondo you bought that $70 is a little steep.

being as to how each can of bondo is arround 25 for the large can and 5 for the foam matting thats almost a 200 percent profit from each rifle, not including the other 8 rifles. i would lower price to around 50-55 and you might get more takers.

$20 for the foam, $20 for a gallon can of Bondo, $10 for foamies sheets for detail, about $10 for the resin, and then you factor in labor time, where you cut, glue, coat, sand, add the details and paint.

$20 for the foam, $20 for a gallon can of Bondo, $10 for foamies sheets for detail, about $10 for the resin, and then you factor in labor time, where you cut, glue, coat, sand, add the details and paint.

Your 9 guns will sell for sure. Yup! got to add in your time & labor = it's not 'FREE"

however this is for all the guns in total. when you split that down to nine they would only cost around 6-7 dollars for the supplies, not including labor, that would bump it up to around oh id say 25 or 30, so all in all thats 40 dollars more than it took to make one rifle.

economics being the way they are noone, or barely anyone would buy such an overpriced prop.

Sorry but no it takes 2 1/2 rolls of blue foam sheet to make one gun. That's $20, the bondo as I stated was $20 for a gallon which I have'nt found out yet how many guns I can coat, the resin cost a little over $10 for a quart which I figure I can get a thick coating on 2-3 of the rifles with the 1 quart. The $10 in foamies is for about 8 sheets of black foamies material which I can get 2 rifles detailed with the pieces for each side of the rifles. Then the rest of the funds go into labor and time. It takes a little while to pin down the foam, pin down the template, trace the template, cut it out, repeat until you have all the layers, then pinning them all together and gluing the layers together. Now you also add in brushing the resin, brushing the bondo, sanding the bondo, cutting out the detail pieces for each gun out of the foamies material and gluing it down, and finally painting. Considering this to a person that has a mold for a Halo Assault Rifle, casting it and selling a casting for about $300 for about 2 hours of casting work and about $55 worth of casting resin, that would be Adam that does that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back