Mark VI Wip

Status
Not open for further replies.

brkat02

Hey everyone, I wanted to start a wip thread to document my build.... I've decided to start with the mark vi and depending on how well it goes, go from there, so far I've pep'ed a helmet and i'm about half way through with the right forearm. good news is I spent the day cleaning out the garage and setting up a "work station", no more putting everything away so we can eat dinner, then dragging everything back out... bad news is, the helmet's a bit too small and it looks like the forearm is going to be just a tad too big... I'll post pictures in the morning when my camera is charged up again. now off to re-read scaling threads...

so I've had a pretty productive day, finished peping the right forearm and it fits..., pics to follow(once i figure out how to load them), i've thought of a few things I wish I would have known/thought of before I started
1) write down your scaling info on a piece, if you have to go back and reprint a page it will help
2) start pepping with what looks like will be the most difficult piece, if you save it till you're tired it'll look like crap
3) make sure you have a comfortable chair and large enough work space, a) you're going to be sitting there for hours on end, and b) moving crap back and forth while trying to hot glue sucks

I'm about to start my right shoulder, i'm also attempting to do it without numbers, wish me luck...

A little tip, double, and triple posting is kinda frowned upon here like everywhere else. If no one posts after yours you can edit one of yours so you don't have to double post. Other then that the helmet looks really good, a nice pep.

A little tip, double, and triple posting is kinda frowned upon here like everywhere else. If no one posts after yours you can edit one of yours so you don't have to double post. Other then that the helmet looks really good, a nice pep.

Agreed, not acceptable. More so then recently now that the basic editor is fixed.

Other then that, everything looks solid.

A post like that is more acceptable though, giving the links to a picture actually shows progress. But also since yooure a "noob" here on the forums people are gonna watch for some small mistakes you make since youre new and such.

ut it all looks real clean on the pepping!!
Good job!

sorry guys about the multiple posts, I've now finished peping the right shoulder, and have started resin-ing I'll post pics soon, building a deck tomorrow so won't have much time for the fun stuff...

I've got a few quick questions if anyone could point me in the right way, 1) how do you post pics in the thread, not just the link? 2) I was scaling my thigh pep and can tell by the measurement that if I make it the correct "height" form my thigh, there is no way it will fit around my thigh, how do I adjust it? I'm a pretty big guy, 6'6" around 400lbs, so I'm afraid it'll be the same for the chest piece...

1) how do you post pics in the thread, not just the link?
While viewing your PhotoBucket album, move your cursor over a pic. Notice that a few things will appear. At the bottom, you will see an IMG code. Click the box next to it and if done correctly, you should see the word "copied." Paste this or use Cntrl+V to your post and the pic will show up in the post.

wow I can't believe it's been another week... I kept thinking, oh I'll update in the morning, and then the next morning, I'd get my morning coffee and head straight back to the garage... anyways, the good news is this week, I've finished peping my right thigh, and made it bigger around so it will fit...
pep'ed my cod piece, and i'm adding a few more of the side pouches to make it fit my waist... i'm also thinking about making one or two an accutal pouch to keep my id and money in, has anyone else figured out how to do it yet? i'll have to do a search on that later...
I've also pep'ed both hand plates, and started pep'ing a lo-res chest piece (for sizing purposes). today I resigned everything listed above, and rondo-ed the inside of my helmet... the bad news is I can now tell the helmet is going to be too small by an inch or so... same with the forearm and shoulder... anyways once i finish the low res chest piece and know it will fit I plan on tackleing the hi res chest before anything else... I promise next week I'll post more often as to keep the posts a bit shorter...

now for the pics, thanks to Ral Partha for telling me how to do this...
Haloproject013.jpg

group shot after resinning,
Haloproject011.jpg

this is a shot of the thigh piece, you can sort of see where I added to the inner thigh to make it fit me... had to add 9 inches to it... and it still may be a bit tight...
Haloproject005.jpg

and a hand plate on my hand, they came out a bit warped, but I think they'll be ok

Update: I finished pep-ing my low def chest this morning, and it fits, well sort of, i'm going to have to add probably 3 inches to each side of the part under the arm that connects the front to the back, but everything else looks good, started pep-ing the high def chest tonight, omg this is going to take forever, also going to try to use tacky glue instead of hot glue on it for two reasons 1) easier to move the pieces around and get them in the right position before the glue sets, and 2) it forces me to go slower, which will mean it will/should look cleaner when i'm done... i'll post a pic of the low res chest tomorrow, night all

Good work so far, good for you for tackling the HD parts! I couldn't bring myself to do it, so I settled with LD parts with added details. Sort of a "hybrid" build, if you will. ;)

That helmet looks good too, and it looks familiar. Do you know who's model it is? I think that's the same as the first helmet I made, and some parts don't look right. I noticed in your photos that the bottom part of the visor/brim slants upwards like it did for me, when it should be horizontal. Anyhow, not a big deal, as most people won't notice things like that. :) Keep up the great work!

Good work so far, good for you for tackling the HD parts! I couldn't bring myself to do it, so I settled with LD parts with added details. Sort of a "hybrid" build, if you will. ;)

That helmet looks good too, and it looks familiar. Do you know who's model it is? I think that's the same as the first helmet I made, and some parts don't look right. I noticed in your photos that the bottom part of the visor/brim slants upwards like it did for me, when it should be horizontal. Anyhow, not a big deal, as most people won't notice things like that. :) Keep up the great work!

Thanks spitfire22v, I believe the helmet was robogenesis, but i'm currently pep-ing the hd flyingsquirl helm, the first one won't fit my big head after all,

sorry for the down time between posts, I got a bit discouraged there for a few days, everything I pep is too small, except the hd chest piece(thankgod I don't have to do that one over...) I'll post pics of it tomorrow as soon as I finish rondo-ing it, I've decided to use my low def chest piece as a hayabusa chest(once the mk vi is done) and I'll probably go back and add a few of the back hd pieces to it, I think my biggest dissapointment so far has been my shins, I peped them with all the supports inside and resined the outside, rondo-ed the inside, and then went to try one on and couldn't get my big ass foot through the opening on the bottom, I even cut out the entire bottom lip and still no luck, my heel catches on the lip of the back right below the calf part.... so I'll be re peping those soon, I went back and added an extra inch to the depth, which brought the total height of the shin to 18 inches.... if this doesn't fit, i'm going to find a way to split the shin pieces like the chest, wish me luck...

Hey man your build is looking good so far. Did you try trimming the lower edge off of the helmet before pepping a new one? (if you haven't already) I have also heard of people sliding the shin on backwards and rotating it after you slide it on. Don't know if it will help but it was just a thought. Good luck with the rest of your build.

You probably don't have to redo your shins, I ran into this same problem with mine, If I scale them up bigger then they will look to big compared to the rest of the armor, so what I did was cut the back part of the shin out were my foot gets stuck with a dremel, and now my Donald duck sized foot fits through, then just use velcro or hinge the piece back in place after your foot is through, hope this helps some, it suck to go back and rebuild the same parts over again

When measuring for scale, write down your size (say for example a thigh) required
H 340
W 225
D 187

Decide which dimenions are critical for you and enter that in the correct field, it will change the other dimensions. Now check the altered dimensions are suitable.

If you select the correct width or depth to fit you, you can end up with a very short or very long thigh so you would have to do as you have done, scale for height and build then cut in the extra to fit. I believe it is possible to alter the proportion if you can 3d model, which I currently cant :-(

When measuring for scale, write down your size (say for example a thigh) required
H 340
W 225
D 187

Yes, this is highly recommended. I made an Excel Spreadsheet early on to record the dimension of the pieces I printed out (be sure to specify which dimension was the one you changed!), and also tracks the progress of the pieces, from Pep, Resin+fiberglass, Bondo, and finally paint/finish.

I think this is definitely something everyone should do when making an armor set, and it is rarely mentioned to noobs.

I just did it any way, seemed a no brainer but I have some pattern making experience, I struggle with big hands, feet & head but skinny arms and legs, short body/long legs so flipping next to nothing is proportionate where I'm concerned. Makes me sound deformed lol.

Edited in - we have the same forname ;-)
Vince

Definately remember to write down the scaling info, if for no other reason, if you're like me and only print one piece at a time, you may not remember what size you did a particular piece, or as I said earlier if you screw something up and need to reprint one piece or page, you can easily do it....

anyways here are a few updated picks,

shin and right boot (I'll try cutting the shin apart and using Hard drive magnets to hold them together (as I'm planning on doing on the chest piece)
Haloproject049.jpg

Low def chest (soon to be my Hayabusa chest)
Haloproject042.jpg
yeah I see the warped spot, but i'll pop that back out before I harden it... and the front,
Haloproject040.jpg

high def chest, you can see I've cut out part of the neck line, I may add it back in if it looks too goofy, but I don't have much of a neck so i figured it will look better on me this way...
Haloproject052.jpg

the back
Haloproject051.jpg

and the ab piece, anyone know how to attach it to the chest piece?
Haloproject053.jpg

I'm about half way done peping the new helm, it's coming out so much better than the first, thanks to experience and all the support struts...

and thanks for all the encouragement and ideas, keep them coming, I need motivation to keep plugging away...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back