Now it's our turn to do something amazing......

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't looked through the whole thread, but has anyone taken care of the under armor yet?

ok guys as many of you know and have seen i am also contributing to this build for him but my wife has a concern thay things may not be what they seem and she said that with all the sickness and stuff that it would be nice to show a little proof of it all, i had a friend pass away of cancer at the age of 18 and know that a kid with cancer is a taugh thing to deal with he faught his battle for 3 years before he passed, so all we r asking is for some pics or something to show that all this is true, but dont get me wrong i am still sending the helmet to brandon as a showing of faith in our few man

I haven't looked through the whole thread, but has anyone taken care of the under armor yet?
As of now I do not.

I am shipping out the handplates to John tomorrow!
Great news.

Jacob

ok guys as many of you know and have seen i am also contributing to this build for him but my wife has a concern thay things may not be what they seem and she said that with all the sickness and stuff that it would be nice to show a little proof of it all, i had a friend pass away of cancer at the age of 18 and know that a kid with cancer is a taugh thing to deal with he faught his battle for 3 years before he passed, so all we r asking is for some pics or something to show that all this is true, but dont get me wrong i am still sending the helmet to brandon as a showing of faith in our few man
If it helps any in the first post is the waypoint story.

I agree with Ka5p3r on some kind of proof like a doctors note for instance this seems a little strange to me, and with the Waypoint article how did they find out about this kid or did the kid or one of his friends contact them? I mean sorry if I sound skeptical asking for a little proof but the 405th has had people in the past that have tried to scam us into giving free stuff. I'm still cleaning, primering and sending the handplates to Brandon when they arrive to me from JBetts as a sign of faith but like I said something just seems strange here.

I'm going to go ahead and Interject now before this gets to far down the line. If the charitable donations are not associated with a legal and registered npo capable of accepting such donations this type of discussion can't continue. The potential legal repercussions from soliciting donations without the proper paperwork in place is something we are not prepared to support on this forum. A noble cause it may be, much like in the past as individuals many of us have contributed to various charities, but creating a group representing the 405th and doing so without havin taken the proper steps first cannot continue.

I have informed Brandon of this. I am not saying this will be the end of what may be a legitimate good cause, but for now there is a bit of leg work that must be done prior to moving forward. Let's just say if this were a 10 step process, you've skipped to step 6, and forgot that the IRS contols a large majority of what can be considered a charitable donation. No body wants to donate something to a sick kid and then give him more problems to deal with come tax time.

Wow, I honestly did not realize that.

I guess a lot goes into to doing something of a "Good Cause" Right.

The IRS Strikes again!

OK I wil edit my posts and change the word "Donate" to "Contribution". People can still legally give "Contributions" right? I will also change any information regarding this being a 405th project. My apoplogies... This is not a 501(c)(3) therefore is not a legitimate charity which means you can not claim any donations made towards this project on you 2011 Tax Return. The Term "Donation" was used to signify a gift given or a contribution to the project and nothing more.

Just out of curiosity what was it about this thread that caught enough attention so that we are given these guidlines or standards but if you do a "search" you will see multiple threads discussing charities, doantions and all types of other words used. My favorite is this one http://www.405th.com/showthread.php...or-charity-need-volunteers)?highlight=charity which is a great thread but not once has admin or mods mentioned any of the above information in there and it is even titled 405th Unity Project. Just wondering where do standards start and end?

Ithica

I got the base of the Softcase Foamed out out of 2mm EVA Foam....well it is soft! I'll get more on to it during the weekends.

i didnt mean to cause anything by my comment but i think its kinda strange that for 12 pages an admin said nothing but when i mention something like that one jumps right in with a comment. i love this site it has been a very large part of my life for the past 2 years now and have meet alot of great people but man i tell you what over the past 6 to 8 months things have gone way down hill. for me this project was never about a write off or anything it was about giving a kid the chance to own something awesome

i didnt mean to cause anything by my comment but i think its kinda strange that for 12 pages an admin said nothing but when i mention something like that one jumps right in with a comment. i love this site it has been a very large part of my life for the past 2 years now and have meet alot of great people but man i tell you what over the past 6 to 8 months things have gone way down hill. for me this project was never about a write off or anything it was about giving a kid the chance to own something awesome

Couldn't have said it better...AMEN

I would like to help out but sadly at the moment all my funds are tied up. But I have an idea on how I can help. I saw some concern about the validation of his illness by some members, if you would like I can do some research and can contact the Waypoint staff & or the author of the article BS Angel and ask them about their source material they used to write it. Just to put some peoples doubt at ease and at the same time gain more information about Matt's situation.

Also I am seeing a tax attorney later this week and I will ask him some general questions regarding the situation of giving and or donating items just so we can understand some of the legalities even if has to do with a non-npo and people in other countries.

@contractkiller- unless he is familiar with the canadian taxation process, which is um, very different than the US, I'm not sure it will do much. We don't touch the US tax code and dont deal with the IRS. I may have to check into it from this end. I may check with the childs play people to see if there are any hoops to go through for a physical donation.

I would like to help out but sadly at the moment all my funds are tied up. But I have an idea on how I can help, because I saw some concern about the validation of his illness by some members. If you would like I can do some research, I can contact the Waypoint staff & the author of the article BS Angel and ask them about their source material they used to write it as to put peoples doubt at ease. Also I am seeing a tax attorney this week and I will ask him some questions reguarding this situation if you
Thank you, that is a great way to participate.

@contractkiller- unless he is familiar with the canadian taxation process, which is um, very different than the US, I'm not sure it will do much. We don't touch the US tax code and dont deal with the IRS. I may have to check into it from this end. I may check with the childs play people to see if there are any hoops to go through for a physical donation.
Valid points Brandon. Also I will add that if someone want's to help pay for shipping opr supplies then it will be kept private and off the forum.

@Ithica: I will get started with that and also I thought about how you got the idea for this it's because of that R2KT story you posted about 501 and how they came together in that situation. I also thought of how they are more of an established group but even though it might be a good idea to ask anyone involved with them some questions about possible legal hurdles or problems they incurred for them at that time.

@Brandon: I didn't know he lived in Canada and well it can't hurt to ask and you never know he might be able to point us in the right direction to find the information.

Posted today after getting this email from Mathieu Lacombe....please read. I also update the main post.

Here is the story you wanted from me... I heard that people from 405th thought that maybe I was just faking this just to get free awesome stuff when really my life really truly sucks! You can add me on facebook if you"d like, there's a couple pictures there that shows me in the hospital with my friends and when Sydney Crosby came visit me in the hospital but I didn't put a lot bacause I don't really like to talk about it... Or see pictures of those memories... Hope you understand and that you believe that I really am not making BS just to get free stuff.

I was born in Moncton NB Canada on the 23 of July 1994, we moved to edmunston when I was just 3 months because my mom wasn't doing a lot of money and my dad wasn't helping because he was spending all on drugs... So my mom left my father and moved with my grand parents till I was the age of 7. My father never was their to support me in anything, in 16 years he only came to my birthday twice... So my grandfather have always been my real father for me... He though me evehrything... At the age of 4 I think that's the first time that I got my first video game console the NES, it was hard to get me stop playing even though I only had two games:p. When I turned 5 I got my first playstation! I remember playing crash bounty coot! That was my first game. Anyways in grade 3 I moved back to Moncton with my mom because she had to move for her job. We lived there for about 6 years then my mom fell in love with a men from Fredericton and got married august 5 2007, I was doing great at the time, I had moved to fredericton, was starting at a new school in September. Everything was looking great. A month after I started school, I started to noticed that I wasn't feeling to good and that my left ear was hurting a lot! We were going In the clinics trying to see what was wrong but they could never tell! They were always giving me anti biotiques and pills when they didn't even know what was going on! They though I had an ear infection, but they couldn't see anything in my ears! It took a month and half to see a doctor that would actually do his job the proper way! On November 24 we went to see an other doctor and took us to take some x-rays... He found out that I had a cancer mass the size of a grape fruit growing in my left cheek. On that day I was diagnosed with rabdomeosarcomsa a type of cancer that grows on muscle tissues. Got sent to the IWK in Halifax Nova Scotia to get the attention I needed there and fought there for 6 months in the hospital... I finished my treatments the 26of may and the wish foundation gave me a 24 feet long swimming pool. The 6 of may 2009 we went to Florida walt Disney world me, my mom , my grandma and my step sister just to celebrate you know... Then while I was there we had to do a lot of walking and my back started to hurt a lot, and It was just constant pain, it wouldn't go away so then I knew... I was watching the fireworks at magic kingdom thinking to myself" it's back..." when we got back we went to Halifax for some regular check ups and found out a big mass growing on my left kidney, the size of a football! (if you want I can send you a picture after the surgery how big it was) they took out my kidney, my spleen and a part of my pancreas. After that we had to follow up with chemotherapy treatments and radiation just to make sure we killed most of it. So I think I finished my treatments the 24 of April 2010, summer was great although I broke my leg but that was better then having back cancer. Everything was going great, I had started back school, then we went back to Halifax for my regular check ups in December, we were all positive because everything was going so great but the scans said a different story... It was back in my ribs this time but it wasn't as bad so we just took five treatments of radiation and went back home for the holidays. Well let's just say I started to feel some pain during that time. When we got back to the hospital, the cancer had spread everywhere. Surrounding my heart, on the lungs and in my lungs, my ribs, my legs bones... The doctors told me that there is nothing else they can do anymore so thats pretty much where I stand right now... I'm home not at the hospital and I have a catemine pump attached to me just for pain so I can take breakthroughs. So I try to live the most I can every day and enjoy every moment of my life...

Sincerely Matt

Based on what I know of Dave I personnely trust his Judgement. Call it a Redleg thing.

To Matt: I will be contacting you soon. :p

To those that are concerned about this issue.
I personally have no plans to try and write this off on my taxes as a contribution to a charitable organization. Because
1. the 405th is not a charitable organization.
2. I already have enough write offs to organizations such as The ASPCA, American Heart association , Red cross. Etc.
3. This gift was not sent to the 405th. It was sent to one individual. How he uses it is up to him.
Any monies donated towards this project should be considered, at most as a gift to one person. With nothing expected in return.
As far as the legality of the tax codes. You may which to check on the following
IRS publication 562
You cannot deduct contributions to specific individuals, including the following.
Contributions to individuals who are needy or worthy. This includes contributions to a qualified organization if you indicate that your contribution is for a specific person.
Also see IRS Publication 950: Most gifts are not subject to the gift tax and most estates are not subject to the estate tax. For example, there is usually no tax if you make a gift to your spouse or to a charity or if your estate goes to your spouse or to a charity at your death. If you make a gift to someone else, the gift tax usually does not apply until the value of the gifts you give that person exceeds the annual exclusion for the year. No income tax deduction. Making a gift or leaving your estate to your heirs does not ordinarily affect your federal income tax. You cannot deduct the value of gifts you make (other than gifts that are deductible charitable contributions). What can be excluded from gifts?
The general rule is that any gift is a taxable gift. However, there are many exceptions to this rule. Generally, the following gifts are not taxable gifts. Gifts that are not more than the annual exclusion for the calendar year. The annual gift-tax exclusion of $13,000 also won't change. A U.S. taxpayer can give away $13,000 per person (to one person or a million different people -- the exclusion is unlimited) without any tax considerations.
I hope that this answers any concerns that people may have. Rick

Based on what I know of Dave I personnely trust his Judgement. Call it a Redleg thing.

To Matt: I will be contacting you soon. :p

To those that are concerned about this issue.
I personally have no plans to try and write this off on my taxes as a contribution to a charitable organization. Because
1. the 405th is not a charitable organization.
2. I already have enough write offs to organizations such as The ASPCA, American Heart association , Red cross. Etc.
3. This gift was not sent to the 405th. It was sent to one individual. How he uses it is up to him.
Any monies donated towards this project should be considered, at most as a gift to one person. With nothing expected in return.
As far as the legality of the tax codes. You may which to check on the following
IRS publication 562
You cannot deduct contributions to specific individuals, including the following.
Contributions to individuals who are needy or worthy. This includes contributions to a qualified organization if you indicate that your contribution is for a specific person.
Also see IRS Publication 950: Most gifts are not subject to the gift tax and most estates are not subject to the estate tax. For example, there is usually no tax if you make a gift to your spouse or to a charity or if your estate goes to your spouse or to a charity at your death. If you make a gift to someone else, the gift tax usually does not apply until the value of the gifts you give that person exceeds the annual exclusion for the year. No income tax deduction. Making a gift or leaving your estate to your heirs does not ordinarily affect your federal income tax. You cannot deduct the value of gifts you make (other than gifts that are deductible charitable contributions). What can be excluded from gifts?
The general rule is that any gift is a taxable gift. However, there are many exceptions to this rule. Generally, the following gifts are not taxable gifts. Gifts that are not more than the annual exclusion for the calendar year. The annual gift-tax exclusion of $13,000 also won't change. A U.S. taxpayer can give away $13,000 per person (to one person or a million different people -- the exclusion is unlimited) without any tax considerations.
I hope that this answers any concerns that people may have. Rick

Very useful information Rick. This really clears things up alot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back