"Halo4" ForgedReclaimer's Pepakura Database

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the knees aren't scaled with the shin are they? I copy and pasted the scale number from the shin to the FJ/Para knee and the knee came out at 514mm. :confused

i see what you mean i just did it with the other knees and it seemed to work fine. like useing the default scale with the standred knee put that one at 120mm but with the fj it put it at the 514 which is like 20 in tall so that ones way off..lol if you have the shin pepped put it on then measure from the top lower part to the top of your knee and that should work fine it should come out to the default scale of the knee around 214 which is 8 in

So the knees aren't scaled with the shin are they? I copy and pasted the scale number from the shin to the FJ/Para knee and the knee came out at 514mm. :confused

I rescaled it to a 6' person when I unfolded it. It was very small and was all on one page in the file and needed resizing. I chose 6' cause it was easy to work with. Just rescale it and it should be fine. Halogoddess made a rescaling thread that should help you.

Ive been looking into it and found that importing objects and one being very large is not uncommon, however, models made in obj at the same scale should work in the same sale in pepakura. If there is a step I missed or did wrong, Im unaware of it. If one of the other unfolders knows and is willing to educate me, Id appreciate it. Till then a simple rescale should fix the issue.

After testing, my conclusion is that this knee was not modeled to the same scale as the shin, but I could be wrong.

The FJ/PARA was scaled and fit exactly to the new shin. I than put the star in place of the shin because i made it to exact scale of its width and height. I placed the knee within the boundaries of the shins dummy, and when re-scaled it should be the same size as the knee. I don't know why this is happening, it seemed like a sound method to me.

Hmmm.. I dont know. Maybe its happening at the initial unfold. When I open the unfolded file, the knee is nearly the same size as the star. But maybe I am using the star incorrectly? I noticed one of the other knees is large when imported too. Im sure we are doing the same thing. Now to find out what that could be... Ill keep playing with this, if I figure it out, Ill resend you the file.

Well, none of my models when built are built to scale, just the size of they come out is the size i send them out. This has never done anything like this before so i doubt its the problem.

Re-assessing the model, the knee is wider than the star, I'm thinking this could be the problem. because the knee is two separate components i flipped them until they fit withen the boundaries. If anything this could fix the problem. Im also going to add a front to back width star to just make sure.

Would you mind unfolding it again Arioch?

I dont mind at all.

Ive tried a bunch of things this morning and it all ends up the same. I even exported an obj of the shin and took them both into 3ds max and it was still too big.

Hopefully, this will work. If nothing else I found some new options in pepakura today lol

I did an auto unfold then imported the shin.... same thing. and the top part of the knee is sideways. It may well be something Im missing, I taught myself to unfold so I could be missing a step. Im trying to get a hold of another unfolder to double check myself.

ok heres what I did.. I unfold it to the same scale that your right shin is set to in its .pdo. The parts unfold into huge pieces. Then I imported the shin to compare sizes. The knee is still big. If I rescale the knee on its own, I can make it whatever size I want, but when I import them together, the knee is always bigger, no mater what scale either piece is set to.

The Gungnir seems to be doing the same thing as the FJ/Para.

I just did some messing with everything, and here is how we stand.

Standard knee: seems to be to scale, and everything is facing the direction it should be.
Grenadier knee: seems to be to scale, the front of the knee is facing down when loaded into pep
(no big deal)
Gungnir knee: seems to be to scale, everything is facing the direction that it should be
FJ/Para knee: seems to be to scale, everything is facing the direction that it should be

For the models that are showing as being far too large, I tried auto-unfolding at the standard 100mm height, imported the original shin model, and the scale difference was reflected. It seems to be that way regardless of the unfold height. However, as FR already stated, when you go to build it, as long as you have your desired height entered correctly, that is really all that should matter.

-Matt

@Arioch
You're not doing anything wrong with the scaling. The knee does look a whole lot larger than the shin.

@ForgedReclaimer
The upper part of the FJ/Para knee does look a little wider but it's probably not going to be problematic. I also played around with the shin and the knee by combining them and resizing until they fit together like they do in the reference pics. And here's the scaling suggestion that I came up with:

Scaling Tip:
Ignore this for now. I'm re-working the scaling formula after FR posted a new set of reference pics.

For reference, the FJPARA should be this big compared to the shin. It looks bit big but that's how the reference made it.

The knee needs to be exact to fit, so im wondering should i create a file with both the knee and shin in the file so it comes out exact. basically replace the start with the knee itself?

FJ.jpg

Knees.jpg

You could do it that way, but personally I'm fine with just scaling each piece individually. But if you do decide to remake each knee with a shin, I'll unfold another one for you.

I can try resizing the knee in studio max... ?

Update - FR, I resized it and emailed it to you. I think its decent. Have a look and see if you agree.

Hey forge, Why don't you make a file in which the shin and one knee piece are in one file?

You'll need to make 4 sperate ones though for all 4 different knee pieces, but at least you'll be able to have accurate sizes for everything.

This is just a suggestion.

Hey forge, Why don't you make a file in which the shin and one knee piece are in one file?

You'll need to make 4 sperate ones though for all 4 different knee pieces, but at least you'll be able to have accurate sizes for everything.

Should be easy, actually. In 3dsMax, all you have to do is copy and paste, or create a clone of the object, and then copy and paste.

Mine is to scale now, just waiting for FR to approve it. I can do the Gungnir if needed.

The problem with that is i would rather not have to put unfolders under the strain of unfolding eight files (included female). If its possible to combine files in pepakura that are already unfolded than that might work and be acceptable. otherwise its a lot of work if i do more than one combined file.

If Arioch has it fixed, than our problems are solved.

Does the file scale properly now Arioch?

The problem with that is i would rather not have to put unfolders under the strain of unfolding eight files (included female). If its possible to combine files in pepakura that are already unfolded than that might work and be acceptable. otherwise its a lot of work if i do more than one combined file.

Yeah you can do that.

It does seem to. If you want, I can import the shin and save it then send it to you for approval.

Update - Ok, I took the liberty of combining the two files. It was easy and fast. The shin imported straight in, unfold and all. Its set at 450mm, which is just over 17.5 inches for the shin and the knee together. If you want it, let me know or Ill get rid of it before long, Im not gonna let your files lay around unapproved of.

On a side note... Im out of work until my new business opens on the 9th. If you need a constant unfolder until then, Ill be happy to help out. Im learning and it will keep me busy. With the business being mine, I may be able to continue helping after the 9th, depending on how busy it gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back