• waist of time

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • stupid idea

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zero Prime

Hey i am thinking of taking the neon blue parts of the HUD i.e. mini map, Health/shield bar exe and put them INSIDE my helmet visor but i am trying to figure out how to make it i know i need it on laminate but i don’t know who i can contact to make it or of anyone has ever done it and i was also looking for your opinion or advice on it

(i will post a pic if it can be done)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have always wanted to make one in my helmet, But never got around too it. I would love to see you acomplish this! I would suggest a 'decal' that you could just stick to the one side of the visor . The only problem with HUDs in real life is that the human eye cant focus on somthing that close to the face. I think if you position your head furthur back in the helmet, it could work!

i think if you have a visor thats well tinted you can get pieces of regular scotch tape and draw pretty much anything you wanted on it and stick it onto the inside of the visor, all you'd need is a steady hand and a sharpie. unless you have a way to do it different? i would love to see something along the lines of a fibre optics INSIDE the visor and with a switch to turn on or off….. just an idea.

What i was thinking is go up to the local Kinkos and see if they could print on a clear lament adhesive film (the kind you would stick on paper) and have them just print what is circled in red plus the target thing
reach_1469714_Medium.jpg

IThe only problem with HUDs in real life is that the human eye cant focus on somthing that close to the face. I think if you position your head furthur back in the helmet, it could work!

This is the problem that comes up in almost EVERY SINGLE HUD THREAD. There have been people who suggest screens, LEDs, lasers, visor etching, luminescent wire/sheets, projection from the inside, projection from the outside, and the list goes on. No one has ever managed to make (on the 405th, to my knowledge) to make a working HUD unit. yes there is some clear screen/film, monitor display thing out there, but unless you're willing to fork over a few hundred/thousand dollars, waste of time....

The only feasible way any of these HUDs are going to work today is to get something like the Vuzix 920ARs, wear them under your helmet and then add the HUD to the video output to augment reality. Of course, with a 31 degree viewing angle, your vision is going to consist of something similar to sitting at the back of a movie theatre. You will also have to carry a computer around to augment the video. Netbooks are pretty small and powerful though.

However, they are working on direct retinal projection, which would be the other way to do this. The downside is that this only exists in prototypes. There was a cool one demonstrated in Japan not too long ago. Eventually there will be glasses that draw right on your optic nerve. Just like in William Gibson's Virtual Light.

Things such as putting transparencies on the inside of your visor will just create blurry blobs in your vision because they are too close to your face.

I am not trying to be a downer on this idea because it is a really fun idea but these threads have been popping up pretty regularly when they could probably just be a single thread so the same stuff is not rehashed over and over.

ok well instead of this being a what if thread why not do something about it? lets do diagrams and stuff we can afford and build off that. Or we could continue the what ifs….

ok well instead of this being a what if thread why not do something about it? lets do diagrams and stuff we can afford and build off that. Or we could continue the what ifs….

give me 48 hours and i might just have an idea TO THE LAB!!!

there we go! i think if you were able to get a blue sharpie on a piece of scotch tape you could have a hud in twenty minutes. you want anything more then keep workin on it

Hmm, what about those little things you screw onto the tips of cheap laser pointers that project images, how would you make that like a HUD though?

Also, TO THE LAB!

Hmm, what about those little things you screw onto the tips of cheap laser pointers that project images, how would you make that like a HUD though?

Also, TO THE LAB!

id recommend not doing that, you could have it bounce off the visor and into your eye, blindness is not my preferred hud setting.

Okay afetr a bit of brain storming i found that if somthing has a DARK colored outline and a light filler color and it is in you're poriferal vision then you eyes can focus on quite clearly and if you look at it clearly it is slightly blurry but you can still see it when it is a couple of cm away from youre eyes i also found that staples and office max have lminate sheets with an adheseve on it for relitivly cheap but i still need to find a way to print something on it. but here is a proto type on a spare sheet of cardstock and a piece of "clear" plastic when i tested it it worked lost better on the green film than the paper i had a touhger time focusing on it when it was on the paper than on the film
IMG_20110219_214035.jpg

its poorly drawn but i can see your concept, either way like what everyone else is saying this is a waste of time. many threads have been made about this subject but no one has actually ever made one.

I think putting details in the visor as HUD is a neat idea. However, this is quite impossible. For a HUD to be effective, the field of view must be at least 3-6 inches away from your eye. This makes the helmet large. Most of our eyes have a narrow line of sight. Having an image so close and then be able to focus far ahead will likely cause nausea. The soldiers of Halo universe are probably altered to adjust to this environment. The pilots of Apaches attach helicopter have lights project to the helmet without causing confusion that may impact their line of sight. The helmet they wore are especially big with all the electronic equipments.

Step one. Print design.
Step two. Etch into innermost panel Deeper etches are brighter, but leave a "shadow."
Step three. Light the top and bottom edges of the visor with SMD Leds of your choice.
Step four. Ensure that the LEDs don't bleed light by adding some paint to lower and upper edges of the visor.

It won't be animated, but it will look like a holographic HUD.

I think putting details in the visor as HUD is a neat idea. However, this is quite impossible. For a HUD to be effective, the field of view must be at least 3-6 inches away from your eye. This makes the helmet large. Most of our eyes have a narrow line of sight. Having an image so close and then be able to focus far ahead will likely cause nausea. The soldiers of Halo universe are probably altered to adjust to this environment. The pilots of Apaches attach helicopter have lights project to the helmet without causing confusion that may impact their line of sight. The helmet they wore are especially big with all the electronic equipments.

I have been looking into holographic displays with plastic and glass and whatnot. Although I haven't come up with a system compact enough for a helmet, I know that a hologram could potentially give the perception that the HUD is a greater distance away, and focusing doesn't become that huge of a problem. It is just a thought...

I have been looking into holographic displays with plastic and glass and whatnot. Although I haven't come up with a system compact enough for a helmet, I know that a hologram could potentially give the perception that the HUD is a greater distance away, and focusing doesn't become that huge of a problem. It is just a thought...
that is the same thing i was thinking if you make it look farther away than it is you will trick you’re eyes into thinking it is and they can focus on it...... give me a month and i MIGHT have a design give me two and i might have a proto type call me insane but every Geniuses is somewhat insane

Well, this is actually something I can contribute to.

What you'll want to do is get some clean images of the icons you want to appear in your visor cut out in Photoshop. Adjusting the values to a shade darker than intended blue will be of help when sunlight or artificial light illuminates them in your field of vision.

Adjusting the printing properties to account for the plastic/paper type, you'll want to find a sheet of clear 'acetate,' or a similar transparent medium. Having the measurements roughly out to the centimeters you'd find in your visor, cut these shapes out and affix them with an extremely light coat of adhesive.

Remember, the transparency should be somewhere between 50-80%; This will help you see through the information and not obstruct your HUD.

I hope that helps.

Damn, LCD screens don't seem to work either, I just dissected one from an old digital camera and although the screen IS see-through, it blurs your vision too much and it is just too opaque...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back