good folds

Status
Not open for further replies.
is their a way to do good folds. I've read the tut on it but is their a way to do it without an xacto knife or pens
I score them with a box cutter. Pens or other blunt implements don't produce crisp folds despite what the tutorials and others say. The key to using knives and blades is to apply very light pressure, similar to caressing someone's skin.

I seem to get straight folds with the edge of a small flat head screw driver. it works kind of in between a blunt object and... caressing someone with a blade I guess :D

How do you score it without cutting it?

Pressure.

There sometimes are these cardboard things in kid's magazines that you can fold (can't think of any other examples right now :)). They usually have dents along the fold lines, and dents like these are what you're making with a blunt object. If you apply enough pressure, you will be able to feel the line with your fingers on both sides of the paper and get a perfect fold in either direction. The sharpness of the fold will depend on the thickness of the tool you use. The thicker the tool, the more pressure you need and the more "rounded" your folds will be. Something about as thick as a fine ball point pen is good.

Just use a CraftRobo Silhouette SD like I do ;) It perforates the fold lines for you. Works really well. Anyway, if you don't have one you can use an X-acto knife like someone else suggested. I always used that before my SD. I've found that it works better than anything else and you don't have to worry about it compromising structural integrity because you'll be resining it anyway. You could also, depending how much time you have, pay someone who has a CraftRobo to cut them out for you. Nothing is more precise than that. Most people charge a small fee to cover costs of the machine and cardstock, but it's really not that expensive.

I agree with Ventrue, the best way is to use a knife, or exacto to be precise. Just practice on a scrap piece of cardstock. Draw a few lines out with a pen or pencil and scribe them. You will soon find the right pressure needed to get that fold you are looking for.

Yes, you definitely don't want to cut through. I would recommend you pick up an xacto knife (the surgical blade type that is like a pen) and use a ruler for the first while. Eventually your hands will be steady enough to freehand scores accurately, but until then you run a risk of having a wobbly score which makes folding rather silly.

I use a exacto knife, but with a twist. I use dulled blade from all the cutting I do, this makes it a little easier and is less likely to cut through the paper other than that, it just take allot of practice on how much weight you put on the blade. I will say all the ways listed above are good so its just what one is most comfortable to you. I will also say I don't use a rule like in the vid. Freehand works well for most parts.

I agree with Ventrue, the best way is to use a knife, or exacto to be precise. Just practice on a scrap piece of cardstock. Draw a few lines out with a pen or pencil and scribe them. You will soon find the right pressure needed to get that fold you are looking for.

But... I said to NOT use a sharp object :)

super_mario_cookie.jpg

you said you wanted a cookie

I just use the back of my exacto knife, it seemed like it was the best thing to do. I wasn't aware people even used other objects to score their folds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back