Spitfire22V's LD Mark VI build - Now Completed

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow..........wow...........wow..........that pistol is amazing

Thanks sildeo, glad you like it! The pistol is in very early stages, so I hope it just keeps getting better.

Well, I realized I'm getting close to completing the helmet, so I need to start thinking about cutouts and visor purchasing. I have 2 questions for you guys.

1. What is used to make the "rebreathers" on the cheek part of the helmet? (The green area)
and
2. Is the part shaded in blue cut out and just not included? Since it's indented, it seems it would either interfere with the visor, or be very difficult to shape the visor to fit around it.

Thnaks for any help/advice you can give me. :)

IMG_4132-Copy.jpg

for my build I cut out the blue part and rebuild it with black foamie and the rebreather I used cut out black cable organizer tube. you can see it in my thred for my red halo
and if you want I can give you some because I have a very long tube leftover (only use a little bit)

Thanks for the super fast response sandy! Thank you for the offer of sending some tubing, but I will take a look around stores here so that you don't have to pay for mailing some. :)

Inside of my helmet I used smoothcast 300 to harden but you have to seal the whole helmet wit modploge or resin before you pour sm300 mixture in or it will leak through small holes

Hey Man, thought I'd check out your build, it's looking great, I like the way you've added in the details on the ld files, keep up the good work...

Thanks for the comments guys! :)

So, did anyone else forget that the Defiant Map Pack was released yesterday?? I did! Took away from armor making time a little, but the new maps are awesome and worth it.

Anyway, I promised I wouldn't post until I had a "significant" update, but there's just too much I want to show. I've been mainly working on the helmet, getting it ready for when the visor I ordered arrives. It should be here by Friday at the latest, and I'm eagerly awaiting it. Because of that, and the lousy weather, I haven't really been working on the rest of the suit. However, today's weather might improve to the point that I can work on the resining and fiberglassing for the pieces that still need it.

So, next up for the helmet was adding the cardboard detail pieces, made using templates as usual. There are some on the back (including the A.I. chip slot), the sides behind the visor, and underneath the brim.
IMG_4319.jpg

IMG_4321.jpg

IMG_4325.jpg

Next was adding the "rebreather" tubes on the sides of the cheek areas. Thanks to sandy1973, I knew what to use! :) Luckily, I was fairly sure that we already had some of those wire organization tubes somewhere, and after looking around for a while, I finally found them. :) Thanks IKEA! haha

IMG_4326.jpg

I cut and shaped pieces of the tube to what I needed, but couldn't decide how to attach them to the helmet. After some thought, I decided I needed more surface area to glue them on and so that they hold their curve. So I carved and sanded foam pieces as support, and it worked beautifully. In retrospect, I probably should have glued the rebreathers on after I finished painting the helmet, but oh well, I'll just have to do some masking now.
IMG_4327.jpg

IMG_4328.jpg

Finally, a big step: cutting out the visor. With much trepidation, I hacked into the visor with my Dremel for the rough cut. Then I spent quite a bit of time grinding out the excess, sanding, and overall smoothing out the opening. I'm happy with how it came out; I will re-add the quadrilateral pieces on the sides after I mount the real visor.

Rough cut:
IMG_4338.jpg

Final cut:
IMG_4343.jpg

IMG_4342.jpg

That's it for now! I'll most likely be working on the rest of the armor (resin/fiberglass, Bondo) until the visor is delivered. Also, making some progress on the Magnum, but it's going slow since my main focus is the suit.

Thanks for stopping by!

I did the same by using the tubes on my kids MKVI helmets. However, I made mine a little larger. I cut holes inside the helmet and then covered the holes using the tubes. After that I stick a fan powered by a 9v battery to circulate the air inside the helmet. My kids love the fan. They were able to wear the helmets for the entire day without taking them off.

See my thread on how I glued the fans.

I did the same by using the tubes on my kids MKVI helmets. However, I made mine a little larger. I cut holes inside the helmet and then covered the holes using the tubes. After that I stick a fan powered by a 9v battery to circulate the air inside the helmet. My kids love the fan. They were able to wear the helmets for the entire day without taking them off.

See my thread on how I glued the fans.

I've looked through that thread, and I really enjoyed the photos, especially of the ones taken at your boys' school. All the other costumes don't even come close.

I was originally going to cut out the area and attach the tube from the inside, but I was unsure about how well it would hold. I also noticed that you only put in one fan per helmet, so one side is still solid. I plan on adding a fan to my helmet too, but I might position it near the top, or the front where the mouth is.

Thanks for the comments!

This looks like a fabulous build. I think I may use a few of your ideas, like the posterboard overlay for detail. I like it and it looks awesome! Can't wait to see you finish!

Thanks for the kinds words of encouragement! :) So far, I'm very pleased with the helmet, and I can't wait to get the visor and LED's installed.

This is how I feel about the visor I ordered lol:
http://xkcd.com/281/

And tsau-mia, glad to hear you like the poster-board detail idea! I would love to see what you do with it.

Helmet is looking great, nice work with detailing. looking forward to seeing the next up date.

Thanks for the comments guys, it's very motivating. :)

Since my last update, I've just been fiberglassing, and now, everything is glassed except for the chest, which is only mostly glassed. I'd say it's at about 75% - 80% finished, and one more fiberglassing session should do it.
I thought I'd post a quick update since I won't be able to get back to the build until Sunday...

...which is a shame because my visor arrived today! :)

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure I ordered this:
http://tinyurl.com/48mucxw

But I received this:
http://tinyurl.com/48seoxu

Not a huge problem, as it still fits, so I'll still end up using it.

IMG_4350.jpg

IMG_4349.jpg

(Wrapped in plastic wrap to not scratch the finish)
IMG_4348.jpg

That's it for now. Told you it was a quick one! Next update, I hope to be able to say that the chest piece is all fiberglassed, have mounted the visor, and hopefully the LED's also (they are on order). I'm still not sure about how to do the helmet padding, so if anyone wants to share, please advise!

Thanks for stopping by!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back