Realistic Burnt and Scratched Painting tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT JUNE 2ND! VIDEOS ARE BACK UP!!!!! WOOOHOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you guys for being patient. I've had a rough time with my computer lately so I am very sorry for the problem.

Hey guys. I'm back from my break and I'm already 95% done with my recon helmet. Before I start, this tutorial does involve the use of an open flame on your armor. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE/HARM THAT COMES TO YOU OR YOUR PROPERTY WHILE FOLLOWING THIS. DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

The pep file I used was on the halo costuming wiki, and its the smoothed version. I did the usual pep/resin/bondo method, and while creating the damage details, I accidentally discovered an awesome way to do cool battle damage on your armor parts. I really don't like the way that other methods I've tried to do battle damage have turned out, so I created my own style.

Part 1

Part 2

Sorry for the length of the video, but it does take a while to do this technique. About 30 mins to an hour depending on how much damage you want to create. Tell me what you guys think, or if you have any questions just leave a reply. Thanks for checking it out.

EDIT: For some reason the audio has failed to work on the first video. Basically its just me showing you that you want to dremel all the way through your bondo down to the resin, so that when you burn it and paint it it won't just look like another layer of paint on top of your base color. When I take it downstairs I mention how you will want to char it so that the paint bubbles. ALSO, THE PAINT WHEN BUBBLED DOES RELEASE A FUME, AND YOU SHOULD PROBABLY BE WEARING A RESPIRATOR WHILE DOING THIS. Sorry for the audio problem

Last edited by a moderator:
on the second video it was just me talking to myself in the beginning, so i sped it up and put music there, but thats only for the first minute and 10 seconds. the rest of the video is me finishing the tutorial.

I watched these videos earlier, but I forgot to comment. I think it's an awesome technique! But why did you remove the videos, sir?

I watched these videos earlier, but I forgot to comment. I think it's an awesome technique! But why did you remove the videos, sir?

I was thinking the same thing! Most likely a youtube restriction (they can be a little touchy!). The other thing might be he's fixing the audio issues :)

Yes, I was rather sadphace to see these removed, I'd like to see these techniques... Perhaps a written tutorial if you can't get the videos working?

Sorry guys i Was away for a while and my computer is broken. i accidentally took these down while deleting another vid, so as soon as i get my computer up and running again i will put them up. im sorry for the inconvenience

Hey Bulldog, did you end up getting those vids back? I didn't get to see them and was interested in them.

It's a bit hard to tell without the audio, but did you basically just do different layers of ifferent coloured paints for the burnt area?

It's a bit hard to tell without the audio, but did you basically just do different layers of ifferent coloured paints for the burnt area?

Essentially you bondo your piece, sand it, paint it, and then you dremel the damage into it. then you take a flame from a candle or match and work around the area slowly. Hold the candle a bit below the area where you want the charred area to be. Then you go over the deep scratches with dabs of silver paint with a small brush.

Sorry for the crappy video quality. I only have a crappy video camera on my phone :p If you have anymore questions feel free to ask

Essentially you bondo your piece, sand it, paint it, and then you dremel the damage into it. then you take a flame from a candle or match and work around the area slowly. Hold the candle a bit below the area where you want the charred area to be. Then you go over the deep scratches with dabs of silver paint with a small brush.

Sorry for the crappy video quality. I only have a crappy video camera on my phone :p If you have anymore questions feel free to ask

Ah, that makes sense :p Thanks man!

Not being a health & safety bore but, please take care doing this. Fiberglass and resin burn like firelighters if they get going.

Ditto. Says the uploader closed their account.

NOT TRYING TO NECRO MY OWN THREAD, JUST WANT TO PROVIDE AN EXPLANATION

Sorry guys, haven't been updating much of anything lately. I just noticed my Signature had this post linked to it, and yes the account had to be closed because of personal issues with people spamming and being unable to avoid it. :p Unfortunately these videos are long gone, and I'm sorry I won't be able to redo them.

It Says Your youtube account is closed so the vid is no longer available

Yes As you can see IF YOU READ, this has already been discussed. Not exactly a necro, but in a thread that was probably gonna die that had an explanation in it....you probably could have avoided that...JUST SAYING.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back