Thorssoli's HALO 3 Marine(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Progress continues. This morning I built half of the mothermold:
5535389415_790e72ac94_o.jpg

If you're wondering, the mothermold is just fiberglass mat and hardware store polyester resin. It's cheap and, done right, makes a nice, lightweight shell. It should be set up about now, so later this evening I'll be able to get back to it and work on the other side:
5535389449_d428b464d8_o.jpg

At this rate, I should be making pulls by Monday. Stay tuned...

Very nice. Thanks for posting the process. Its a nice visual representation of the steps needed in completing a mold. I plan on doing one for my current project. I'm a little nervous because I haven't done it before and I spent a lot of $$ to get the supplies. Great job all around!

Looks awesome Thorssoli! Hey, did you get your silicone mold from JGreer? That's where I get mine too and also my casting resin! You just gave me a great idea on how to mold my Reach UNSC Trooper helmet when I'm done making it. Can't wait to see your first cast out of this!

Very nice. Thanks for posting the process. Its a nice visual representation of the steps needed in completing a mold. I plan on doing one for my current project. I'm a little nervous because I haven't done it before and I spent a lot of $$ to get the supplies. Great job all around!

If you want my advice, start with something small and work your way up. That way, your learning mistakes won't cost you too much. It'd be a shame to destroy a large piece by dribbling improperly mixed chemicals all over it.

looks good!
BTW, i did send you an Email

I replied. Check your spam folder.

Looks awesome Thorssoli! Hey, did you get your silicone mold from JGreer? That's where I get mine too and also my casting resin! You just gave me a great idea on how to mold my Reach UNSC Trooper helmet when I'm done making it. Can't wait to see your first cast out of this!

I did. They call themselves aeromarineproducts.com now. Best prices I've ever found.

Point of interest: I'll be building eight complete sets of armor and they'll all need names. Any suggestions?

For example:
Sergeant White, S.
Privates: Sleepy, Sneezy, Bashful, Grumpy, Happy, Dopey, and Doc (the Medic)

There's got to be a better idea...

p.s. I'll need names for a pair of ODSTs too. Right now I'm thinking "Frick" and "Frak" but I've got a while before I stencil them.

Pick your 8 favourite characters from Band of Brothers.
The squad from Saving Private Ryan.
Any 8 from this list of 16 Badass Movie Soldiers: http://media.gunaxin.com/16-badass-movie-soldiers/46540
Ender, Valentine, Bean, Alai, Dink, Shen, Crazy Tom, Fly Molo.
Any 8 of the "Ocean's Eleven" gang.

For the two:
Zip and Zap (or Tie)
Zig and Zag
Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dumb(er)
Fafhrd and the Mouser
Abbott and Costello

Do you use Aeromarine's resin? I've been using the stuff on a small scale, and I'm quite satisfied with it, though I did read a lot of negative reviews on it. What's your opinion of it?

I'm going with the names of: Bo & Ty

You're right. But if my helmet is wrong, someone should tell this guy that his is wrong too:
5533535164_6d58f14d65_o.jpg

d.

Stay tuned...

Those, are polygon's, and are low-def to make less strain on the game engine when there are allot of marines. (Look at his knife edge chin :$

Still good though.

Maj. Payne
Cpl. Crisandwich
Pvt. Groucho, Pvt. Jones (Jo-an-is)
And for the ODST,
Sgt. Tsavo, Sgt. Kumaon (From Jim Corbett)

i think its turning out nicely if you ever do cast for anyone else give me a shout

I will be doing casts, so keep an eye on this thread. When I'm casting, shoot me an email and we'll see what kind of deal we can work out.

UPDATE: I've started the 2nd half of the mold:
5538423761_4d578f51e7_o.jpg

BIGGER UPDATE:
I've just been recalled to active duty for a month as part of Operation Tomodachi, the humanitarian relief effort for Japan. I'll only be gone for a month or so and I'll be taking off about the exact same time as the molds for the Marine helmet are ready to use. While I'm gone, I'll be posting to my blog (http://protagonist4hire.blogspot.com) with as much information, stories, and photos as I'm allowed to post. Go and subscribe so you don't miss anything.

I've just been recalled to active duty for a month as part of Operation Tomodachi, the humanitarian relief effort for Japan.

Good luck, make sure you don't glow in the dark when you come back ;-)

But I don't want to derail the thread. So, I was wondering... why does all your material have those pink and purple pastel colours? Don't they make this stuff in more masculine colours, like bright warning red, or energetically pulsating sparkly yellow? :)

Good luck, make sure you don't glow in the dark when you come back ;-)

But I don't want to derail the thread. So, I was wondering... why does all your material have those pink and purple pastel colours? Don't they make this stuff in more masculine colours, like bright warning red, or energetically pulsating sparkly yellow? :)

Different manufacturers use different colors in the materials. I used to get my silicone from TAP Plastics and it was blue. JGreer.com is cheaper, so I don't much care what color it is. As an added bonus, the plurple stuff smells like grape Kool-Aid.

The pink stuff doesn't have a particular scent, so I'm going to say it smells like schnozzberries...

Great progress on the helmet. Hope things go well on your tour, if you want a little bit of info on Japan in general this guy ( http://www.dannychoo.com/ ) has some good articles.

Quick question, could the stuff you use to make the molds be used as an outer coat on pep-made-armor to increase durability? I know it's a long shot, but it looks like the stuff they might have used for the armor in the Reach shorts.

Great progress on the helmet. Hope things go well on your tour, if you want a little bit of info on Japan in general this guy ( http://www.dannychoo.com/ ) has some good articles.

Quick question, could the stuff you use to make the molds be used as an outer coat on pep-made-armor to increase durability? I know it's a long shot, but it looks like the stuff they might have used for the armor in the Reach shorts.

No. The molds are made of silicone rubber and, in addition to being very soft and floppy, cannot be painted. The stuff they used in the Reach shorts was likely a type of resin with a bit lower hardness rating than the resin I use so it could flex a bit as the actors were running around.

The Reach shorts armor might've been made out of that Flex Foam-it stuff that Ithica likes to use, right?

That silicone is making your helmet look like candy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back