Thorssoli's HALO 3 Marine(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Different manufacturers use different colors in the materials. I used to get my silicone from TAP Plastics and it was blue. JGreer.com is cheaper, so I don't much care what color it is. As an added bonus, the plurple stuff smells like grape Kool-Aid.

The pink stuff doesn't have a particular scent, so I'm going to say it smells like schnozzberries...

Ha, I didn't actually expect an answer for this one :-D
I just wanted to wich you luck ;-)

Deeeelicious siliconePocky~

How long does it take for that stuff to dry, anyway?

If it's brushed on, a thin layer would dry in within an hour but for a "glove" mold, it requires about 16 hours to cure. It also depends on how much catalyst (hardener and it's purple) is added to the silicone(white stuff) which affects it's cure time. Usually it's 10 parts of catalyst to one part of silicone or 10:1 ratio. This is based on a 70 degrees Fahrenheit weather or higher.

If it's brushed on, a thin layer would dry in within an hour but for a "glove" mold, it requires about 16 hours to cure. It also depends on how much catalyst (hardener and it's purple) is added to the silicone(white stuff) which affects it's cure time. Usually it's 10 parts of catalyst to one part of silicone or 10:1 ratio. This is based on a 70 degrees Fahrenheit weather or higher.

You're kinda right. You've got the ratio backwards. It's one unit of catalyst per ten units of silicone by weight. Also, you don't really want to adjust this ratio. More catalyst will make the rubber cure faster, yes, but if you make the ratio much different, the end result will be rubber that doesn't have the properties you need. It'll either be stiffer or weaker than it's supposed to be (if you add too much or too little catalyst, respectively), which will shorten the life of your mold.

If you need it to cure (not dry) faster, you can add an accelerating agent that will cut down the cure time dramatically. In the case of Aeromarine Products, it only takes a few drops of the accelerator into an eight ounce container of the catalyst to reduce a 16-hour cure time to about four hours. I may be a bit off on that though. I rarely use the stuff because it will also alter the properties of the cured silicone a little bit. Better in my opinion to just plan your day so you can pour the rubber last and come back to fully cured rubber when you get back to your projects the next day.

UPDATE...
Speaking of molds, I've got one now:
5544620174_38d4d58c36_o.jpg
Tragically, the prototype helmet did not survive the demolding process.

Fortunately, the first casting came out great:
5544620102_dda3b90172_o.jpg

This makes me happy:
5544620006_57447b00d4_o.jpg

I figured I should use up what resin I had sitting around in the workshop so it doesn't degrade while I'm away, so I'll be cranking out a bunch more of these after I'm done packing for my nuclear vacation this evening.

Stay tuned...

Look good! However, do you always spike your models onto the floor when your finished with them? lol:)

Not usually, no. In this case, the mothermold fit the jacket mold so well that the only way I could get it apart was to pry it out from the inside. Once I had the prototype out, it was a piece of cake to pull the two halves apart. After the mothermold had been separated from the jacket the first time, there was no trouble getting the first casting out.

As far as the "usual" treatment of my prototypes, most of them end up being picked over for detail hardware (interesting greeblies or fasteners) that I can re-use and then the rest is thrown in the trash.

EDIT: The only one of my prototypes I've kept in its original condition is the MkVI helmet. Then I painted it pink.

Dude the first cast looks great! Oh, and thanks for the correction on the 10:1 ratio, I now realized I had it backwards. And yes, if you add more catalyst to the silicone rubber it will not have the desired results. I usually get the silicone thickener (clear catalyst) that is added to part A (silicone) before mixing part B (purple catalyst) to make it "brushable" instead of "pourable". Gotta love AeroMarine products! :D

You're kinda right. You've got the ratio backwards. It's one unit of catalyst per ten units of silicone by weight. Also, you don't really want to adjust this ratio. More catalyst will make the rubber cure faster, yes, but if you make the ratio much different, the end result will be rubber that doesn't have the properties you need. It'll either be stiffer or weaker than it's supposed to be (if you add too much or too little catalyst, respectively), which will shorten the life of your mold.

If you need it to cure (not dry) faster, you can add an accelerating agent that will cut down the cure time dramatically. In the case of Aeromarine Products, it only takes a few drops of the accelerator into an eight ounce container of the catalyst to reduce a 16-hour cure time to about four hours. I may be a bit off on that though. I rarely use the stuff because it will also alter the properties of the cured silicone a little bit. Better in my opinion to just plan your day so you can pour the rubber last and come back to fully cured rubber when you get back to your projects the next day.

UPDATE...
Speaking of molds, I've got one now:
5544620174_38d4d58c36_o.jpg
Tragically, the prototype helmet did not survive the demolding process.

Fortunately, the first casting came out great:
5544620102_dda3b90172_o.jpg

This makes me happy:
5544620006_57447b00d4_o.jpg

I figured I should use up what resin I had sitting around in the workshop so it doesn't degrade while I'm away, so I'll be cranking out a bunch more of these after I'm done packing for my nuclear vacation this evening.

Stay tuned...

you should stick that skull thing in the background in the helmet and take a picture for your next update! but nice helmet! And i was being serious about the skull and the picture.

you should stick that skull thing in the background in the helmet and take a picture for your next update! but nice helmet! And i was being serious about the skull and the picture.

Warhammer 40k Space marines CHaplin Helmet/skull mask mate ;)

And wow! that cast looks great! can i haz the old prototype? =p

Don't you mean you painted it lightish red?

That. Yes. It's a new color.

Is the entire mold as thick as the flanges or is that just from the partitions you used to trap the mess in?

The flanges are thicker. The rest of the glove mold varies in thickness between 1/2" and 1/4" for the most part.

Why would you want that?
5550358231_3f3a0891cc_o.jpg

Warhammer 40k Space marines CHaplin Helmet/skull mask mate ;)

And wow! that cast looks great! can i haz the old prototype? =p

If you've really got some interest in the prototype, there may still be soem recognizable chunks of it in my trash can...

Thanks again all, for the kind words. I'm flying out today, so it's likely going to be a while before I update this project thread.

Back in the shop now:

5687870728_10215e0cd4_o.jpg

While I was gone, I ordered myself a whole bunch of knockoff Multicam fatigues from ebairsoft.com. They're surprisingly inexpensive, but they'll do the job. I had my sister and her family try them on for me so I could get some quick pictures:
5687536169_ced3c0d373_z.jpg

As you can tell, she was thrilled.

Her husband was more excited:
5687536961_dc87bfa887_z.jpg

I also ordered a small fortune worth of soft parts to include duty belts, molle thigh panels, pouches, nylon webbing, buckles, and more. I even got a stack of safety glasses I found on Amazon.com that look pretty close to the in-game goggles, so I won't have to invent them.

When I get a few minutes worth of breathing space, I'll post a shopping list with lings to the suppliers I've found for the parts.

I'm planning on having a handful of these guys walking around at the Maker Faire in a couple of weeks, so if you're in the San Francisco Bay Area and would like to see them in person, you should check it out.

Stay tuned...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back