Thorssoli's HALO 3 Marine(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And he's back!!! PS, do I see a coat of primer on your MKV(B)?? And why do you keep making parts that I must have? You're killing me big guy!

And he's back!!! PS, do I see a coat of primer on your MKV(B)?? And why do you keep making parts that I must have? You're killing me big guy!

Not only is it primed, it's also painted a lovely shade of olive drab. Once I'd done it though, I decided I'd rather go with the steel color that the action figure has. I'll be getting back to it in a bit.

For now, I'm cranking out more and more stuffs to get these marines geared up in time for the Maker Faire in a couple of weeks.
5696921552_2b93ec05f7_o.jpg

Why do I keep making parts that you must have? Because I must have them too. If there's anything specific you need, shoot me an email. I'm on a roll with making stuff, so it'd be no big deal to make a few extra bits...

dang man looks sweet!
i so wish i could make it the the fair! i was planning on going, but then my family decided we were gonna go camping that weekend and I can't get out of it =( I'm so jealous!

Test fitting some of the soft parts:
5699443131_c5b530978e_o.jpg

I'm on the right wearing the small shirt. Should've worn a medium:
5700014966_8bf96b5ed3_o.jpg

I'm still waiting on the triangular molle thigh panels. Then I'll just need to attach all of the armor and we'll be good to go.

I am compiling a shopping list for all of the soft parts as promised. Sooner or later I'll post it.

Wow, you really are making an army of marines. Good work. If you run out of storage space you can keep some of it at my house.

Hey Thorsolli, how much resin did it take to slush cast one helmet? I'd like to get a general idea coz I plan to cast my Reach trooper helmet. Awesome job man!

As usual, you have an epic build. I wish I could be in San Francisco just to run into a squad of your Halo Marines!

Hey Thorsolli, how much resin did it take to slush cast one helmet? I'd like to get a general idea coz I plan to cast my Reach trooper helmet. Awesome job man!

I'm doing the helmets in three pours each. The first is 8oz resin with about 4oz of microballoons, the second is 8oz. resin and 4oz. of 1/32" milled glassfiber, and the third is the same blend as the first pour. So each helmet is a total of 24oz. resin, 8oz. microballoons, and 4oz. milled glassfiber. They come out surprisingly strong and lightweight. Sooner or later I'll post a pic of me standing on one of them. I'm a jerk like that.

As usual, you have an epic build. I wish I could be in San Francisco just to run into a squad of your Halo Marines!

The whole thing is about to ratchet up a couple of notches. I'm starting to doubt that Vrogy will come through with the vacformed parts, so I'm making my own vacformer. Here's the oven coming together:
5711223166_3ccc0544dc_o.jpg

5711223850_94493c0f55_o.jpg

Here's the quick and dirty forming surface:
5704399752_3f866a5782_o.jpg
I'm also getting ready to add combat knives to the chestplates or wherever, so I've molded these guys:
5711223998_6a9c75afb9_o.jpg
If you need a solid casting of a small Ka-Bar combat knife or a Kershaw responder knife, let me know. They're cast as one so there's nothing to come out of the sheath. That way they're con-friendly.

I've handed over all of the fatigue shirts I stocked up so my seamstress can turn them into combat shirts for wearing under the armor. Tonight I'll be doing a marathon pep build so I can have some forming bucks and start cranking out chest armor when my supplier calls to tell me that my sheet stock is ready for pick up.

It's getting down to the wire, but I'm still somewhat confident that I'll be able to field these guys for the Maker Faire on the 21st.

Stay tuned. With any you might get to see my head explode...

Thanks for the casting info man! Can't go wrong with building a vac-forming machine, now there is no limit as to what you can do! Can't wait to see the first pull from it.

Will you be hosting a booth at the Maker's Faire?
I'll be there!
I'm greatly looking forward to it!

I will be. Only one week to go...

Meanwhile, it looks like Vrogy isn't going to come through with the rest of the Marine armor as promised. That means it's time for me to get started making vacforming bucks to build my own:
5719509788_153515d989_o.jpg

5718949887_f20be97260_o.jpg

I'm making two different sizes of chest plate and I'll break the back plate into segments so it can be re-sized to fit a few different people. Stay tuned for progress on that.

EDIT: forgot to mention, I've also molded up some combat knives to go with these:
5711223998_6a9c75afb9_o.jpg

Mighty good job, Thor! ;)

Say, you wouldn't happen to be THE Thor? You know, the norse god? Because I see some godlike awesomeness there! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back