Thorssoli's HALO 3 Marine(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thorssoli

A while back, I was contacted by another maker asking if I'd be willing to trade one of my Sniper Rifles for a few sets of his vac-formed marine armor. I agreed, but it doesn't look like his armor comes with helmets. Undaunted, I surfed my way over to the halo costuming wiki, downloaded the HD Marine pep file, and a few short hours and half a bottle of wine later I had the pep build knocked out.

The next day, I went ahead and coated the outside of the helmet with a thin layer of polyester resin (aka hardware store fiberglass resin):
5469757233_eaef0a764b_o.jpg

Once the polyester resin had cured on the outside, sealing up all of the small holes where things might leak out, I went ahead and reinforced the inside with some black casting resin:
5494312223_3460e1fc27_o.jpg
I added the black pigment to make it easier to see where I hadn't managed to slush the resin on the inside of the helmet.

(NOTE: you could just as easily go ahead and lay fiberglass mat and resin on the inside instead of the casting resin)

Now that I've built up enough thickness for the helmet to have some strength, it's time to start the bondo work.

Since I'll end up with more than one set of armor, I'm planning on making a mold and cranking out a handful of castings of this helmet.

Stay tuned...

Awesome! im looking forward to see this become another thorssoli masterpiece:D

Did the resin make it to the inside of the ear pucks?
If I remember correctly, they're completely separate pieces.
And I must say that I'm surprised you didn't just have Lopez whittle them out for you to add later.
Can't wait to see how this turns out.

sweet! do you have any plans to cast and sell the helmets? (instead of just catin the few)

I'll probably sell a few, yes. If you don't see me post a classified thread, you can always PM me if you're interested in one of my pieces or, better yet, email me at sthorsson99@yahoo.com.

Did the resin make it to the inside of the ear pucks?
If I remember correctly, they're completely separate pieces.
And I must say that I'm surprised you didn't just have Lopez whittle them out for you to add later.
Can't wait to see how this turns out.

No resin in the ear pucks yet. They are separate pieces, yes. I'll be cutting holes on the inside and filling them from the inside. Once the ears are solid, I'll be carving in the notches with the Dremel tool.

Lopez has been down for a couple of weeks while I'm waiting on a couple of repair parts. He's a wonderful machine when things are going smoothly, but when he fails he fails spectacularly. It's too bad too. He could've been working on the whole helmet while I was making progress on my ODST builds or my shotgun or any of a dozen other things I've been neglecting lately.

I've been looking for an amazing thread for this. I can't wait to see how it comes out.

Then I hope it turns out amazing...

As always, thank you all for the kind words. All of my projects are fueled by praise. That, and/or alcohol apparently.

Minor update.

Fairing has begun:
5510309244_6a501da03a_o.jpg

Stay tuned as I knock out this vital stage of the project.

I'm going to call this one 98% done.

5519402656_4f2b386127_o.jpg

5519402636_337ff7ef16_o.jpg

5518811005_f34ca55db8_b.jpg

There's still a couple little details to add to the ear pucks and I have to smooth out the underside of the bill and do a tiny bit of filling, but 98% seems right.

Did I miss anything?

I dont think so.. I compared it with a sculpt I saw and there seems to be every single detail you have. The only difference is some of your raised areas were dpressed compared to his but knowing how hard it is to find detail fro the game I would have to say paint her up!

I dont think so.. I compared it with a sculpt I saw and there seems to be every single detail you have. The only difference is some of your raised areas were dpressed compared to his but knowing how hard it is to find detail fro the game I would have to say paint her up!

I still have to do a very little bit of feathering-in some bondo and add the little rectangles on the outsides of the ears. I'm also thinking I'll add a bit more texture to the parts that will end up painted black. Then I'll mold it and cast a few copies before I bother with a finished paintjob.

Just about done:
5523086507_1cd1472c61_o.jpg

I've added the rectangles on the ears, fixed the raised area under the brim, and done a bunch of sanding. I need to straighten out the leading edge of the brim and add texture to the areas that'll be painted black, then it's time for molding.

If you click on the picture above, it'll take you to my flickr photostream for more pics from more angles.

Again, did I miss anything?

Today I taped off all of the areas that will be painted black on the finished pieces and sprayed them with a thick coat of Duplicolor Truck Bed Coating:
5525050713_42461fdffc_o.jpg

I'm not worried about the color at this point. The black is to get the texture I wanted:
5525642564_76a36cd677_o.jpg

At some point in the coming week I'll be making the mold. In the meantime, I'm experimenting with potential paintjobs in photoshop:
5525642946_d113db410a_o.jpg

I've got a few different ideas:
5525050813_31c7f6a8e0_o.jpg
I'm still willing to entertain suggestions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back