Halo Reach Carter Helmet Foam Method-80% complete

Status
Not open for further replies.

plasauce

Well guys I have been on this forum for a while, never having progressed far enough to feel I have something worth posting. I am in the process of making a carter helmet, out of foam. I've tried the pep method, over and over again, but the small pieces always kill me. so after trying once already and not being happy with the results I've gotten my second attempt at 80% complete. I am going to do a little work here and there then glass and bondo. Please let me know what you guys think.

plasauce

2011-03-11150134.jpg

Holy crap! dud, or dudette, thats amazing~! ive never seen too many foam helmets with this caliber of quality! im really lookin' forward to seeing this build progress, best wishes from me :3

Sorry for doubling, but i noticed on the forehead, where he normally has that "layered" detail, i see that you used the studded side of the foam mat, it looks good! And it seems kinda Macguyver-ish if ya' ask me :p

thanks bro. although the studded look will probably disappear once the bondo is smoothed out. i would have liked to keep it though.

IMO bondo aint too good an idea with foam, foam parts are made to look rigid, yet take impact well, the bondo WILL crack if you try that, i would suggest finishing this helmet, then peppign one to use bondo with.

IMO bondo aint too good an idea with foam, foam parts are made to look rigid, yet take impact well, the bondo WILL crack if you try that, i would suggest finishing this helmet, then peppign one to use bondo with.

Not to mention the polyester resin inside body filler(Bondo) will most likely eat the foam.

any suggestions for smoothing it out? there has to be something i can use that won't eat away at the foam. i am guessing that glassing it would break it down too right?

any suggestions for smoothing it out? there has to be something i can use that won't eat away at the foam. i am guessing that glassing it would break it down too right?

Unfortunately yes. You need to try an seal it first. Their maybe some sort of paint you can use or maybe try something thats epoxy based. I know some have used apoxie sculpt to seal foam. Im not real sure because my thing is body filler & glass.

for smoothing i have used a flexible spot putty on mine..(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007LTXF0) works really well and goes on like glazing putty. can almost smooth it with your finger. only thing is that it does not stick really well to hot glue so what i do is spray mine down with a sand able flexible primer and then add the flexible putty and then sand with 400 grit sand paper for best results any more coarse of a sand paper is too much for the spot putty. this is the primer i use: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002QC8VLK

fiberglass resin and bondo test on scrapped first attempt are successful. sprayed down with plasti dip, brushed on fiberglass resin, added bondo to areas with gaps. working out good so far. will be working on final helmet soon. stay tuned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back