Halo Reach Kat - Foam Armor *FINISHED* 10/31/11

Status
Not open for further replies.
I added a new little bit of detail to the shin. Can you figure out what it is? :p hehe

oierk3.jpg

I only added it to the one shin for now. I'm sleepy from work and I had to force myself to stay awake in order to start this next part of my build:

2egejr5.jpg

I know that there ARE pep models for the prosthetic arm piece, but since there isn't much to it, I am going to scratch build it instead. Plus that will save on ink and paper from printing out the templates in pepakura. XD My husband will also be helping me in cutting some screws so that I can simply glue them on certain parts of the prosthetic arm.

Also, since it's starting to warm up, I will be able to get into our shed and start looking for some scrap metal pieces to add to the prosthetic arm. :) I've got some good ideas to cover up my arm as much as possible and to really try and give the illusion of my right arm being the prosthetic arm. :p

It sounds like you have gotten that arm thing figured out HG. Good luck with it. The shin is looking killer by the way.

Got a little more work done on the prosthetic arm. :)

2zdvbsz.jpg

28c3e5i.jpg

15qp2sh.jpg

Yeah, I know that there is an area taped for right now. The tape held up for the most part when I put this on to see how it all fit. I also just put the tape there to make sure that the piece I cut out was a perfect fit and will line up correctly when I glue it all together.

I still got so much left to build though and work has been......well, working me like crazy! D: The ONLY day off I have at the moment is this Thursday then it's back to work for the rest of the week. Also, at my work, the start of a week is on a wednesday and ends on a tuesday. My previous day off was saturday. All this work is making it even harder to have any time to work on this. :( The only upside I see to all this working is that I should have a fair amount of money to spend on some Halo stuff when I go to that convention.

Got a little more work done on the prosthetic arm. :)

2zdvbsz.jpg

28c3e5i.jpg

15qp2sh.jpg

Yeah, I know that there is an area taped for right now. The tape held up for the most part when I put this on to see how it all fit. I also just put the tape there to make sure that the piece I cut out was a perfect fit and will line up correctly when I glue it all together.

I still got so much left to build though and work has been......well, working me like crazy! D: The ONLY day off I have at the moment is this Thursday then it's back to work for the rest of the week. Also, at my work, the start of a week is on a wednesday and ends on a tuesday. My previous day off was saturday. All this work is making it even harder to have any time to work on this. :( The only upside I see to all this working is that I should have a fair amount of money to spend on some Halo stuff when I go to that convention.

Well I see you already got some of it done but I was going to suggest that you might want to build the forearm and the entire opposite arm slightly larger than you would normally to help disguise your arm in the prosthetic.

Well I see you already got some of it done but I was going to suggest that you might want to build the forearm and the entire opposite arm slightly larger than you would normally to help disguise your arm in the prosthetic.

Actually you would want to make the non-robotic arm bigger, so the robotic arm looks smaller.

But I could be wrong, and I could have misread your post.

Actually you would want to make the non-robotic arm bigger, so the robotic arm looks smaller.

But I could be wrong, and I could have misread your post.

Well I meant both forearms would be the same size but the entire non-robotic arm would be bigger slighty than the robotic arm as to better hide her real arm inside.

I think you should make the mechanic forearm big, in order to let al the inner working show through and hide your arm
But if you want to make it really cool you should make your upper arm realy slim to enhance the robotic look.

Hey guys, don't worry about the "hiding your arm" part. I will be using some metal rods and such that will take care of that stuff. :p

Also the left arm piece will already be bigger since I need room to wear something under it. The part that I have for the prosthetic arm is actually pretty tight right now. I have it as snug as it is going to get for foam. The foam is thick to where I can't make it much thinner. I already had to cut the top part so that it wasn't as thick. Had to be real careful doing that so that I didn't cut my hand. XD

Hey guys, don't worry about the "hiding your arm" part. I will be using some metal rods and such that will take care of that stuff. :p

Also the left arm piece will already be bigger since I need room to wear something under it. The part that I have for the prosthetic arm is actually pretty tight right now. I have it as snug as it is going to get for foam. The foam is thick to where I can't make it much thinner. I already had to cut the top part so that it wasn't as thick. Had to be real careful doing that so that I didn't cut my hand. XD
I think I know where you're going with this. Can't wait to see the execution.

ForgedReclaimer recently did some new knee models and I found it so appropriate that he sent me Kat's knee to unfold. :p haha So I went ahead and did a smooth unfold, sent the file back to him then got to work on the knee for myself. :)

Since I do have to work tonight, I managed to get one knee assembled for now. I painted it black and when I get home, I will start to add the rest of the color.

Ugh, such a HORRIBLE job on those seams! XD Oh well, don't have time to do fancy stuff. :(

z24pd.jpg

102vyxg.jpg

uvtqg.jpg

And these are the only templates I needed in order to accomplish this. :)

24vo5l3.jpg

I DID NOT even print out anything either! :D I actually held a ruler up to my monitor, enlarged the model on the left in pepakura until it reached the measurements I wanted then traced the design on cardstock. I only traced 2 of the pieces I needed from the 3D model, but for the slender side pieces, I had to use the pep piece on the right side since it was more flat than it is on the 3D model. I had to just freehand the design to be added on and cut that out of craft foam and just glued it in place and trimmed off the excess. This took a total of about 3 hours from start to finish. I may be able to finish the other knee when I get home tonight. :) Technically, tomorrow morning since I get off at 4am EST. :p

EDIT: I wanted to see what it looked like together, so I took a quick pic:

c6vlj.jpg

:) hehe

That was fast lol. I thought you might want to be the first to get your hands on it.

You should still finish the model you where making of your knee when you get the time, every bit of practice helps if you want the free models lol.

UPDATE TIME!!! :D

Okay, so as I said earlier, I was going to work on the other knee when I got home from work. I did and I started the final paint job.

2qvuwbt.jpg

I know that it sort of looks purplr, but it is darker in person. Once I add the final dry brush of the black paint and make it look more dirty, it should really finish these off and make them look good.

The knee piece on the left is the first one I built and the one on the right would be the 2nd one I made. I did a much better job with the seams on the 2nd one than I did for the first one. XD Once again, I gotta work later tonight, but I should have BOTH finished before I go to work since I just gotta add the black wash and these will be good to go. :)

Armor Checklist:
Chestplate
Helmet
Belt
Thighs
Shins √
Knees √
Boots
Forearm
Bicep
Shoulders √
Prosthetic arm

:( Still have sooo much left to do. *sigh*

The seams look very clean and straight even though they show a bit.
Are you using any sort of hot wire or heat knife to bevel the edges of your joined parts or just slicing with an X-Acto?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back