Halo Reach Kat - Foam Armor *FINISHED* 10/31/11

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have pictures!!!

Once my husband got home from work, I had him help me get the chestplate on. He didn't seem too enthused about helping me and god forbid I bother him while playing his facebook game >:[ I tried to get the right, bicep piece on by myself and it ripped. Go figure! SOOOO many areas of this costume have ripped while trying to get it on and off. :( Also, while trying to even get the helmet on, I knocked the helmet attachment, causing it to come loose!!!! D: :( I tried SOOOO many ways to get that thing to stay on and it wouldn't. I must really SUCK at this stuff. :(

The helmet STILL looks too big and I can't move my head with it on. End of story: I need a new helmet, one that is made to fit my head better. I can't look down, I can't look up and I can barely turn my head from side to side. Also need to get a different visor. The thing is practically clear. It sucks. :\

I HATE the thigh pieces. I TRIED to use craft foam to make the inner thigh pieces, my fat thighs ripped them so I didn't even bother with it. Plus the thigh pieces are hard to get on! There is so much pressure being applied that the left thigh piece has ripped twice! :( My plan: make new thigh pieces, hopefully better and slightly bigger. :\

Also, still need to find out a better way to make the right (robot) arm, bicep piece. I need something that won't rip apart so easy and also need to keep that shoulder attachment from flopping around so much. :\ Although, I do like how the right forearm piece came out! :)

FYI: My husband SUCKS at taking pictures. XD

axfvjo.jpg

2cf5o5s.jpg

167p1lg.jpg

All in all, I'm just glad to have a fully, wearble costume. Even though it kept ripping and falling apart, at least it looks okay. :\ I also have TOO much space between the belt and the chestplate, but that is because the thigh pieces are on so tight and the flub from my thighs were pulling them down, even though I DID have the thigh pieces strapped to the belt, but the force was pulling the belt down, so..............yeah. :\

Now that I have a decent understanding of working with foam, I may go and start on my hayabusa all over again! :D I still have the helmet in it's paper form. That's about all I got though...........and the chestplate that Mr. Streeper fixed for me, but doesn't fit. He thought I was shorter than I really am. He also forgot that I'm uh.......a little top heavy? XD LOL If ya catch my drift. XD

Nice looking suit you've got there! I looked through a good 20 pages until I decided to skip to the end.

Was it just sizing issues that caused some pieces to rip or were they just not constructed to be very stable? The sizing seems to all be fine judging from your first picture (with the exception of the codpiece which you already addressed).

Don't sound so angry in your post; you've got a great looking suit xD and now you know what you need to fix on it and it shouldn't take too long to do. Nice job!

I completely understand why you are picking apart everything so much, personally I'm a perfectionist when it comes to my own work, but from an objective point of view I think you have done a great job. Take a step back and realize how much you've accomplished. Your suit looks great and most would never notice the things you've pointed out until you mention them. Some minor adjustments for size isssues and you have solved most of your issues. If those are the only problems you have then you should be really happy. I would agree that if you're having issues moving your head in the helmet then you would want to fix that. The other issues are so common because until you fully suit up you don't really have a way to tell if the pieces fit perfectly.

The suit looks so clean and well put together. My whole crew spent a good 15 minutes just staring at the work and commenting on how good it turned out.

Be proud of what you accomplished. I know the community will agree when I say you've earned the right to be proud. Congrats on finishing and just remember, Halo Anniversary and Halo 4 are still being released soon so you may still have opportunities to wear the suit. :)

Pretty much everyone has issues with their first suit and especially the first time wearing it around. There is always tweaking that will happen. It's good to see you got it done. I bet that feels extremely good. The paintjob looks great. Keep it up!

The suit turned out great, especially for your first run. Don't sweat it.:)

The armor turned out great and the paint job is masterful so you shouldn't be putting yourself down :)

About the inner thighs, sounds like you just used plain thin craft foam right? I coated my inner thigh craft foam with plastidip and it gave it a nice rubberly look and made it significantly more resistant to tearing, could be something to try for yours.

Glad to see it turned out good Goddess :)

Two things
Have you thought of fiberglassing the insides of the parts? it may stop the ripping?

And check out thorsolli's thread. He has a pretty sweet visor technique.

Sorry if this has been mentioned. I havn't been on much so had a lot of rush catching up to do!

I will echo what everyone else said that the suit looks great. Don't go putting yourself down so much, your costume ended up looking better than most of the "finished" stuff I see gets posted around here. Yes, the belt piece is riding a bit low, but nothing a cheap pair of suspenders shouldn't be able to fix. The visor doesn't look bad, and I honestly think the paint job makes up for any discrepancies in the overall look.

And I should mention that you're by far not the only one to have issues with the suit when wearing it. After every time I wear mine for events, there are repairs to be done, as I'm sure happens to lots of others as well. It's just part of the process!

Wow, great build. You said you had too large of a gap in between the belt, and the chest piece. I had that problem too. I think you might want to buy like a army-pack to cover your abs xD and substitutes as a backpack

You're costume looks awesome, if there are problems with it they are not visible from here. All of us have a little Tweaking to do after wearing a costume out for the first time. And Spitfire22V has the right of it about repairs and touch ups after events. so take this to hart when I say:
Congrats on your completed suit, wear it with pride. Because you do awesome work. :cool

Last edited by a moderator:
your first full suit will prob have some issues ( mine was the shins where to big oooops). I've been following the build and the suit looks really good.

Hello, first of all, contratulations for you armor, is amazing! Im from Brazil and I apreciate if you can post the pep files of this build, cause my girlfriend is is very motivated to build it for the next haloween.

grats on finishing in time for Halloween, and all the best luck for ur next improvements, I say you dont need to scrap your thighs cuz they are at a really good height, just expand the inner portion so it wraps around better.

Wow you sure have a lot of followers. You should try the strap buckles on the outside of the chest piece so you can lock them with one hand. I did that for my chest piece that's why I can put the suit on by myself.

Wow you sure have a lot of followers. You should try the strap buckles on the outside of the chest piece so you can lock them with one hand. I did that for my chest piece that's why I can put the suit on by myself.
Strap buckles on the outside of the chest piece?? I don't think I get what you're saying. XD My problem with the chestplate is that I can't get it over my head by myself. It's one whole piece and because of the lower back piece, I have to have someone hold it so it doesn't fold under and rip. Then I also need them to help me pull it down because once I start to put my arms through the arm holes, I totally can't move my arms and pull the chestplate down by myself! XD My husband laughs when he is helping me. He really laughed at me when I tried to take it off for the first time and got stuck! XD LOL

Well,

Regardless of what YOU think....

1. Your armor is awesome

2. You DO NOT suck at this

3. You are not even close to fat and Im sure you know it so SHUSH!

Great job on your armor! Im sure you will have all of the small leftover problems fixed very soon and then you will be a lot closer to happiness you little perfectionista!

I love your work, youre awesome. End of story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back