Mass Effect 2 Blood Dragon Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a quick unfold of my Blood Dragon helmet file and spent a good portion of the day pepping.

The Goal:
Standingfront-1.png

The Build:
PepFront.png

PepSide.png

Lets hope the weather clears up enough this week for some resin and rondo.

I'm waiting on eva foam for the rest of the suit.

Where do you all get your EVA foam? I have been looking for somewhere to get it, but haven't decided who would be the best supplier.

Wow, looks great!!

How can you pep without Numbers??? I tried that 2 Times, but it was too hard..

Where did you get the File btw?

Where do you all get your EVA foam? I have been looking for somewhere to get it, but haven't decided who would be the best supplier.

http://www.amazon.com/We-Sell-Mats-...NK/ref=sr_1_40?ie=UTF8&qid=1300310632&sr=8-40
Not sure if its the best supplier but the color and amount is in good variety and they're having a sale at the moment. The shipping is a bit of a hassle though.

Wow, looks great!!

How can you pep without Numbers??? I tried that 2 Times, but it was too hard..

Where did you get the File btw?

I edited a model supplied by Nintendude, there is a thread about it in the 3D modeling section. You can either get the raw .obj links there or wait for unfolds.

And I was only able to do it numberless because I had put one together the night before that was too small and I had pep designer open with my unfold the entire time.

Update:
So after I got home from MEPS today I was going to take a nap but it was a perfect day for
resin:

Coat 1-blue food coloring:
S7302241.jpg

S7302242.jpg

Coat 2-red food coloring:
S7302243.jpg

S7302244.jpg

Some of the blue dye leached through cause I was a bit impatient with the drying time.

Here's the first layer of Rondo-blue food coloring again:
S7302247.jpg

S7302246.jpg

Sadly I had to throw out half a bottle of blue coloring because I dropped the lid in a batch of resin...doh

I ran out of resin so this will have to be finished at a later time.

Very nice work so far.

If you finish this drop me a line. I'd like to trade one of my N7 helmets for one of these.

Very nice work so far.

If you finish this drop me a line. I'd like to trade one of my N7 helmets for one of these.

It may be a while until I can mold it but you will definitely get a PM.

Though there may be some issue with size, the opening will be 160-165 mm wide.
It was the smallest I could make it for my own head and I wanted it to not look too bulky compared to the rest of the armor.

Woah, I've never seen such great pep work, you must have robot hands or something! Also, what's the dye for? Does it make it look better when you paint later, or easier to see where you resin'd, or what?

The coloring is just to differentiate layers to ensure full coverage with resin and the Rondo will be two colors as well to create a sanding depth guide of sorts.

That and I figure the world could use more colorful things. lol

Sorry for the double post but I've decided to build a Dremel router table/hot wire angle cutter to help me with this foam build and any I may do in the future.

2 footx4 foot 1/2 in. MDF sheet
3 6 foot 1x3s
8 foot 2x4

Honda named it the Fit for a reason:
S7302248.jpg

I feel stupid that I got so caught up in buying lumber for this that I forgot to grab another thing of resin while I was there.

Sorry for triple posting but I assume it's okay as I have update pics:

Got the 2nd layer of Rondo done today:
S7302252.jpg

S7302253.jpg

Went with a higher ratio of Bondo to resin and a bit more hardener to make it more paste like so I could brush it into the areas that really needed it.

Blended the seams with a Dremel and added some primer:
Front.png

Side.png

High and low spots isolated using fine grit sand paper:
Low spots are white.
Front-1.png

Side-1.png

I want this to be as smooth as possible so there may be quite a few stages of sanding and spot putty/Bondo.

Got the first layer of Bondo on today:
BondoFront.png

BondoSide.png

Sanded:
BondoFront-1.png

BondoSide-1.png

As soon as the sun went down the temperature dropped by about 10 degrees so I called it a night.
I'll finish the sanding and add the next Bondo layer tomorrow and get some daylight photos up.

Didn't get any work done on the helmet today but I got both thighs mostly done as my EVA foam came in today.

The Dremel accessory I used for routing is designed for cutting holes in drywall and has a built in depth gauge:
Router.png

Before routing with Dremel:
Prerouted.png

After routing:
Routed.png

Roughly assembled:
Assembled.png

I will use a heat gun to soften them and then shape them to the desired curve by hand.

The top image is of the right thigh while the other two are of the left(I forgot to take pictures prior to routing).
All exposed routed areas will have a piece of black 3mm craft foam to smooth them and provide the final color.
I'm somewhat bothered by the "smooth" side being lightly textured, I will experiment on scrap pieces to devise a means of solving this.

Got the biceps and shoulders ready for heat gun today.

Before routing:
prerout.jpg

Routed:
Routed-1.jpg

Roughly assembled:
assembled-1.jpg

I will do the heat gun work on the parts I have so far tomorrow and hopefully make the cod though I'm trying to figure out the best way to hide the belt clasp behind it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back