Props DogWizard Gravity Hammer build *FINISHED WITH PICS* Added 2 more*

Status
Not open for further replies.

tubachris85x

Where to begin. Got more weapons than I know what to do with. More than Star Wars which is actually starting to scare me a bit. Oh well. I got a chance tonight to start work on my Halo 3 gravity hammer kit produced wonderfully by DogWizard!

It's not an overly complex build (not to me at least) in that the hardest part is going to be properly attaching the hammer head at the correct angle and make the connection as strong as possible. I can seriously use this as viable melee weapon if assembled well enough, no joke.

Got a good amount done tonight, my buddy came over to help out a bit. Assembled the main body (minus the tubing for the hammer) and it's all holding really well.

I have all the tubing here, the upper shaft is NOT attach, but sitting there.

002-9.jpg

As for my other props, here they are all laid out, with the grav hammer shaft for scale:

001-10.jpg

Aside from the grav hammer: Link H3 Magnum, Lee Kegan H3 Battle Rifle, Smick Reach pistol and a Matsuo (or operation chastity) SMG.

More to come!

-TC

Thanks! :p

So far, as of now, I have the main body pretty much ready for paint!

012.jpg

Will be starting on the hammer head today, wish me luck lol

013.jpg

-TC

Looking Great!!!

:D

Can't wait to see another one of these completed and loose in the wild! If you need any tips or advice, you know where to find me...

Here we go! Got alot farther with just this! Was freaking out that I wouldn't get this right, but it came out well. I kept remembering what Ithica was saying about getting the angle right or the little resin piece wouldn't fit properly and affect everything else. It's all holding up on it's own at the moment. The next step is to epoxy the stubb piece in correctly and get some resin poured in there.

015-8.jpg

On top of that, got the top details placed (the top one I had to hold, the hole was a little too big lol

014-9.jpg

More to come!

-TC

Looks great so far. How simple is it to put together? I was thinking about talking to him about a kit for myself.

Looks great so far. How simple is it to put together? I was thinking about talking to him about a kit for myself.

Not really that bad. I think the biggest thing is making sure you have the right epoxy to use, because I originally tried using the PVC cement for connections, but the epoxy was thicker and filled the gaps properly and is just as strong. Other than that, it's really a matter of being able measure fairly well and drilling holes in the proper place

Just so everyone knows, that last pic (right above this post) is actually the "inner sleeve" that connects the Hammer Head to the shaft assembly. There is an "outer sleeve" that slides on over it and is the actual upper shaft. It is designed for maximum strength (overlapping thick-wall PVC) and to cover up the actual "joint" area ("keep it clean" ;) ).

Still looking good - it looks like you got the angle spot-on. You may want to test the angle of the Blade assembly before you secure everything. You want the Blade to line up along the top of the two detail pieces on the back side of the Hammer Head.

Nice Job!

Just so everyone knows, that last pic (right above this post) is actually the "inner sleeve" that connects the Hammer Head to the shaft assembly. There is an "outer sleeve" that slides on over it and is the actual upper shaft. It is designed for maximum strength (overlapping thick-wall PVC) and to cover up the actual "joint" area ("keep it clean" ;) ).

Still looking good - it looks like you got the angle spot-on. You may want to test the angle of the Blade assembly before you secure everything. You want the Blade to line up along the top of the two detail pieces on the back side of the Hammer Head.

Nice Job!

Yep, I double check it. It's gonna be touching the tip of the upper most trapazoid piece, but It's good. Just slushed around the resin and waiting for that to cure :)

100_2543.jpg

It's a good idea to stuff a twisted paper towel in the open end of the shaft to keep any extra resin from running out - ask me how I know... ;)

Slush-coat the back of the Hammer Head (this will help lock in the pins securing the detail pieces) and then let the resin settle at the bottom where the shaft enters the Hammer Head (tip it so that surface is horizontal and level until the resin sets) so that it will lock in the stub.

If you want me to butt out, just say the word. I just rarely get to see and respond to a build in real-time...

It's a good idea to stuff a twisted paper towel in the open end of the shaft to keep any extra resin from running out - ask me how I know... ;)

Slush-coat the back of the Hammer Head (this will help lock in the pins securing the detail pieces) and then let the resin settle at the bottom where the shaft enters the Hammer Head (tip it so that surface is horizontal and level until the resin sets) so that it will lock in the stub.

If you want me to butt out, just say the word. I just rarely get to see and respond to a build in real-time...

LOL It's also not everyday that I get a maker's help in real time either :p

Na, I didn't think of putting the stubs for the back details when I slushed the resin about. Considering it's my first time resin re-inforcing anything, it came out well! Nice and solid now, but I need to re-drill the holes (do'h)!

This is some awesome stuff! It's exciting to see one of these kits go together. Nice armory by the way.

-Matt

Thanks! My bank account is suffering though lol

I want to get some more work done today, but I have to prep for my bro coming home on leave from Iraq. I feel that I can get this all done by the end of the weekend. I'm still debating the paint scheme I want to do. I'm really liking the real-world look of the WETA studios hammer and thinking about making it flat black w/ a brown weathering/wash. For the white parts, I am thinking about using white reflective tape, because I feel that's what will give it the "lighted" look without actually having to wire it up. IDK, we'll see.

I need to see if I can get a threaded coupler in there so I can break it down for transportation...

No pics, but I didnt have too much time today. One issue that I had was that despite the PVC stub being at the correct angle, the backside hammer head pieces were obstructing how the blade was sitting. Dogwizard gave me the idea of just sanding down the seperate hammer head detail pieces, which I did today with my trusty belt sander. So as of now, everything sits well and clear

Started painting today the main body today. I'm going with a dark grey for the main body as did by dogwizard, but I'm going to go with black for the hammer head pieces. I'm gonna dull coat the entire hammer minus the blade which I'm debating if im going to used rub and buff or spray paint to get the right sheen. I'll post pics later on

Also, the mount for the blade is ready to be attached to the poles

Thanks guys! I'll post a pic in a bit. I was hoping to get the lower shaft pretty much finished, minus a few details, but I am having a really difficult time trying to properly wrap the leather. It keeps bunching up a bit and looks bad :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back