Foam Reach Custom WIP. Pic heavy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SENTI3NT6

Jr Member
Well since seeing the L3X BLU3R1V3R V3 Reach torso and Nick Nack Patty Wack and L3X's own Reach progress I must try to attempt similar feats of glory. If you havent checked their threads out I highly recommend it, they're breathe taking. Anyway, here goes. :cool

What I'm goin for:
RedReachCust.png

Torso so far:
2011-04-21165643.jpg

2011-04-21165852.jpg

I will probably finish the torso tonight, so if you love me that much, (who Doesn't?) stay tuned! :cool

i like foam armor builds, even though i dont have the creativity to do one myself. Anyways, ill be watching this thread to see how it goes, good luck =]

P.S. I love your signature, anything to do with the gravemind is stellar.

looks like a great start...I'm about to start using foam soon...i need to find some good pep files to build with, which one did you use? :\

looks like a great start...I'm about to start using foam soon...i need to find some good pep files to build with, which one did you use? :\

I used the version 3 of L3X BLUR1V3R's Reach torso. theres a thread for it. it ridiculously accurate. Im so greatful he shares his awesome work with us.

Torso is looking great so far!

are you starting out with one solid foam piece or is it multiple pieces cut to the right size and then glued together?

Torso is looking great so far!

are you starting out with one solid foam piece or is it multiple pieces cut to the right size and then glued together?

Hmmmm im not sure what your asking. Im just taking EVA foam sheets and tracing the templates from the pep onto them and cutin em up and gluing em. I almost positive thats how everyone who works with foam does it. The only difference is Nick Nack Patty Wack uses mini cell foam sheets which i believe comes in a large sheet. im just using the 2ft X 2ft mats. i hope this answers your question.

foam's not too hard to work with. i certainly enjoy it more then i do the pepping route. the only thing that stalls you is figuring out how to connect certain pieces since the files are for cardstock. btw excellent job so far im using the same file on mine. love how you included the detail on the ab plate!

:D You are far too kind! lol And I must say that your progress looks amazing!!!

Thanks! Your work is nothing short of amazing. I can't wait to see your final product. Your concept is probably the most original so it should be pretty sweeet. Anyway thanks for the feedback hopefully I can do your torso justice.

foam's not too hard to work with. i certainly enjoy it more then i do the pepping route. the only thing that stalls you is figuring out how to connect certain pieces since the files are for cardstock. btw excellent job so far im using the same file on mine. love how you included the detail on the ab plate!

Yea I just had a noble 6 action figure layin around and just sorta scratched the ab plate detail but I think it came out pretty good

wow, that is one impressive foam chest armor. I think I may use that file and build a new one for my armor, its just too detailed not to!

Thats a very clean foam build. I know mine's not the best, but yours is looking pretty great. It seems quite acurate, keep it up!

Does anyone think that foam is easier than pepakura? Recently Ive seen a lot of foam models and I think that they all looked so clean and perfect. And I know nothings perfect, but some of these foam models are really really close. I think that in the end the foam looks better than pep. But thats just my opinion.

The build looks stunning so far, great job. Question though, when assembling a foam build, how do you go about gluing parts together? Are you tracing the pep parts onto foam and cutting them out? And do you use flaps too or just glue pieces directly together? Thanks, just curious. Good luck on the build

The build looks stunning so far, great job. Question though, when assembling a foam build, how do you go about gluing parts together? Are you tracing the pep parts onto foam and cutting them out? And do you use flaps too or just glue pieces directly together? Thanks, just curious. Good luck on the build

You just glue them together. The tricky ting with foam is figuring out where you edges need to be cut at an angle which sides ect to get the shape of the piece and figuring out what pieces from the pep you actually need and which you can leave out. Its realy quite simple. It took me a while to get this good. This is my 6th torso :D

Does anyone think that foam is easier than pepakura? Recently Ive seen a lot of foam models and I think that they all looked so clean and perfect. And I know nothings perfect, but some of these foam models are really really close. I think that in the end the foam looks better than pep. But thats just my opinion.

so far i love the foaming over the pep because u can get curvier pieces that ud have to get through bondo and sanding. the only downside so far is glue poping out of the seams and onto the armor piece and those seams standing out. im hoping that multiple coats of plasti dip will fix that. but i haven't gotten there yet.

so far i love the foaming over the pep because u can get curvier pieces that ud have to get through bondo and sanding. the only downside so far is glue poping out of the seams and onto the armor piece and those seams standing out. im hoping that multiple coats of plasti dip will fix that. but i haven't gotten there yet.

Privateer mention a technique he came up with where he heats up a butter knife or something similar and smooths out the excess glue on the seams so when you plastidip it you get nice smooth seams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back