Which body filler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reign

Jr Member
So wiyumishere and I have been using the regular bondo body filler for the exterior parts of our armor....I just saw that Brandon mentioned professional gold bondo in one of his threads and I went to look it up and saw even more options.

Which body filler do you all recommend for having the best exterior finish and sandability, etc? I'm definitely drawn more towards Evercoat Rage Gold body filler, but I want to know what you all think.

It all ends up the same. Cheap is good. Ive used the gold, and it made no difference in my helm as far as I could tell.

Bondo gold is a lot easier to sand and comes out stronger imo. I used the red spot putty on my helmet to fill in small pits after I used bondo gold. I wont make that mistake again. It was easy to apply but it just doesn't have the strength. plus the gold is only like 2 bucks more than the standard body filler for a tin.

Bondo gold is a lot easier to sand and comes out stronger imo. I used the red spot putty on my helmet to fill in small pits after I used bondo gold. I wont make that mistake again. It was easy to apply but it just doesn't have the strength. plus the gold is only like 2 bucks more than the standard body filler for a tin.

Wait, so you're saying that you won't make the mistake with the spot filler? My friend used it and it came out pretty well, didn't crack or do anything as long as you don't use too much in one area.

It works fine if you use it in very thin layers. I didn't like using it because when I went to sand it, I felt like it came off way too easy. It's just not as strong as the regular stuff.

Oh yeah, of course. It's just meant for small spots but yeah I getcha. So professional gold bondo is definitely better? And does anyone have experience with Rage Gold?

In the automotive field the gold bondo is used for final filling. The cheaper bondo is used to build up low spots then covered with gold for final sanding. The red spot putty is used to fill tiny blemishes in the surface that's why it is so thin. For what we do here the regular bondo is just fine unless you like the golds easy sanding aspect.

So wiyumishere and I have been using the regular bondo body filler for the exterior parts of our armor....I just saw that Brandon mentioned professional gold bondo in one of his threads and I went to look it up and saw even more options.

Which body filler do you all recommend for having the best exterior finish and sandability, etc? I'm definitely drawn more towards Evercoat Rage Gold body filler, but I want to know what you all think.

I love regular Evercoat body filler, thats what I use. Also, There metal glaze is the bomb.

The sandability is definitely appealing about the gold bondo; is it significantly better? I would build up low spots with the regular still, but for pieces that may not need it I'd likely use gold if it is a lot better.

Also looking at Evercoat, definitely.

Well the choice comes down to you, try them and see which one you prefer. It's a matter of taste and being comfortable with what you use. But for me the regular bondo and spot putty is just fine.

I've messed with a couple brands, and I've found one with the durability of Bondo brand, but is a little easier to sand. It is Dynatron: Dyna-deLITE gold body filler. I get it at Advance Auto Parts for about $15.

-Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back