Thoughts on Halo Armor for Paintball or Airsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.
A VForce profiler mask has a bubble lens on it, and a friend and I figured It could be used as a base to build a MKVI helmet around it

I had all of those same thoughts. If I were to play with it I would build the helmet over an existing mask. I used to work at a paintball field, so I know how to play safe.

I don't see any problem with armor in paintball/airsoft, except that it's heavy, unweildy and somewhat impractical. But such is the price for awesomeness.
However, helmets are without a doubt a no-go at this station. It is important to remember that paintball and airsoft masks have been heavily tested to ensure the safety of the wearer. Simply taking a ballistic lens and gluing it to the inside of an untested helmet does not ensure safety. Using your helmet in this respect could cause severe facial injury; specifically, blindness. And we must remember that this kind of injury is not good for business on a field. Not only can there be liability to the field in failing to maintain safety standards, but a player having an injury like that could damage the reputation of the field. In short, it's best to not wear your own helmet out there.

i think we have gone over this before.

paintball guns fire fairly large and heavy objects that cause welts at around 250 fps, while an airsoft gun will cause the same damage at closerange at 350+fps. unless you feel inclined to make plastic or rubber (penatration resistant, which even then its pushing it) armor, i (and alot of the 405th) would strongly dissaprove of using armor for paintball or airsoft.

its just, pepakura and certain other armors cant take that punishment.

The materials exist, there would be no difference in the amount of time it took to build a suit out of proper composites that wouldn't even notice a paintball or airsoft impact, just a matter of whether or not you can afford it. Personally if you're spending months making something, why on earth would you make it out of cardboard, even fiberglass even if you're only 15 you should be able to scrounge together some $ for materials.

If you're looking to make your own, try getting a can of rubberized tool grip spray from home depot, and spraying it on some composite cloth. Use multiple layers, coat both sides of each layer in a generous coating, let them dry, then apply a second coat to each side, stack them together, and press them until they cure. The result is a flexible but strong composite that wont crack. Using something like this, and some castable closed cell rubber foam to fill the voids between armor and skin, should result in armor perfect for paintball & airsoft.

The helmet's still the sticking point, for your own backyard use just build a helmet around an existing paintball helmet.

Fiberglass and polyester resin are cheap, but are no where near strong. Even just using epoxy resin instead of polyester is a big improvement, use carbon fiber and kevlar and you'd be able to take a barrage of full auto paintball guns at point blank and not notice or have any lasting cosmetic damage.

I could make a master chief paintball approved production mask, were it not for licensing issues, licensing is not cheap.

I've been looking for someone who'd be willing to let me use their mold, using their molds & my kevlar-carbon fiber & epoxy, in exchange for a good bit of kevlar and carbon fiber for their own use since I'm rather busy at the moment and dont have time to spend making any kind of toys for myself no matter how badly I may want them. If it weren't for licensing issues I'd gladly go into production of halo gear.

Hi,

I've been playing paintball for about 4-5 years now, never used any kind of armor, only my mask. I want/will build a helmet around my mask. I think it's a good base for a helmet. If it goes for the rules on paintball fields, back here only the mask is required to play, you can run around naked but with a mask on your head, totally depends on your choice. So if someone is making an armor for paintball use I will just be awesome ( except movement comfort ), the helmet will be good if there are paintball googles on/in it. http://www.certifiedpaintball.com/s...prodInfo&productID=72&categoryID=50&menuCat=8
The googles should be attached to the mask so I strongly discourage from using military googles or taking googles off a mask and installing them to a helmet.

The materials exist, there would be no difference in the amount of time it took to build a suit out of proper composites that wouldn't even notice a paintball or airsoft impact, just a matter of whether or not you can afford it. Personally if you're spending months making something, why on earth would you make it out of cardboard, even fiberglass even if you're only 15 you should be able to scrounge together some $ for materials.

If you're looking to make your own, try getting a can of rubberized tool grip spray from home depot, and spraying it on some composite cloth. Use multiple layers, coat both sides of each layer in a generous coating, let them dry, then apply a second coat to each side, stack them together, and press them until they cure. The result is a flexible but strong composite that wont crack. Using something like this, and some castable closed cell rubber foam to fill the voids between armor and skin, should result in armor perfect for paintball & airsoft.

The helmet's still the sticking point, for your own backyard use just build a helmet around an existing paintball helmet.

Fiberglass and polyester resin are cheap, but are no where near strong. Even just using epoxy resin instead of polyester is a big improvement, use carbon fiber and kevlar and you'd be able to take a barrage of full auto paintball guns at point blank and not notice or have any lasting cosmetic damage.

I could make a master chief paintball approved production mask, were it not for licensing issues, licensing is not cheap.

I've been looking for someone who'd be willing to let me use their mold, using their molds & my kevlar-carbon fiber & epoxy, in exchange for a good bit of kevlar and carbon fiber for their own use since I'm rather busy at the moment and dont have time to spend making any kind of toys for myself no matter how badly I may want them. If it weren't for licensing issues I'd gladly go into production of halo gear.

true, the materials exist (nightmare armor has proved that) but most 'normal' armors can't afford it, or do not have time to make it. even smooth cast plastics would suffice short term and that is still REALLY expensive for 'average' costumers (plastic armors would still require a VERY thick shell to. not the normal thickness.)

I forgot to mention something about the Kydex. I have a prototype ODST shoulder made of Kydex. I reinforced it with fiberglass (although the kydex is extremely impact resistant, it still bends slightly without support). The finished model is about half to 3/4x lighter than the pepped/bondoed model. Seriously, this thing has no weight to it. If heat is a huge concern, drill small holes. If done correctly and in good patterns, it can actually add to the armor. With an ODST rig though (I am using the Reach design), heat shouldn't be anymore of a concern than standard U.S. soldier gear (with the exception of the helmet).

Has this been tested with a few of airsoft rounds? I'd just like to make sure it's safe, because I was thinking of using the same method for making airsoft-safe armor.

Has this been tested with a few of airsoft rounds? I'd just like to make sure it's safe, because I was thinking of using the same method for making airsoft-safe armor.
I haven't tested it with an airsoft gun, but since paintballs travel with FAR more energy than airsoft BBs, I think it is safe to assume that it would work fine.

I haven't tested it with an airsoft gun, but since paintballs travel with FAR more energy than airsoft BBs, I think it is safe to assume that it would work fine.

Test it with airsoft first. Yes, paintballs travel with much more velocity, but airsoft bbs travel faster and focus their energy on a much smaller point. PBs also break up on impact, further lessening their force.

Test it with airsoft first. Yes, paintballs travel with much more velocity, but airsoft bbs travel faster and focus their energy on a much smaller point. PBs also break up on impact, further lessening their force.
I'll check it tomorrow, just in case. I will report my findings when I have them.

Paintballs are far more damaging. They have a lot more mass and travel at about the same velocity, if not more. A lot of guys I know have paintball guns that shoot 300-400 FPS, which is about the speed of my airsoft rifle. Granted, they like to hurt each other so theirs probably shoot faster (I don't know much about paintball, I'm an airsoft guy), but as far as BB's being any less damaging when it comes to actually breaking stuff because of their smaller surface area, there's not much to that in this regard. BB's do a lot of cosmetic damage to paint and will definitely go into foam, so if you have foam armor or a nice paint job you don't wanna hit it with BB's, but paintballs because of their mass and velocity are going to break most hard objects. They don't do as much damage to foam because of what you said about them breaking and their larger surface area so the energy gets spread more and they're not being stopped as abruptly.

I've tested both out on a casted helmet. The airsoft gun (shooting around 325 FPS) chipped the paint and nothing else every time. The paintball gun... I didn't shoot it more than once because it put a beautiful hole right in the forehead and I had a lot to fix that day. I'm not trying to give you a physics lecture, you probably know all of this, but I'm fully confident that if Templar's pieces can hold up to a paintball, they CERTAINLY can hold up to a plastic BB. And since paintball is gonna repaint your armor anyways, you're gonna have that cosmetic damage anyways.

Paintballs are far more damaging. They have a lot more mass and travel at about the same velocity, if not more. A lot of guys I know have paintball guns that shoot 300-400 FPS, which is about the speed of my airsoft rifle. Granted, they like to hurt each other so theirs probably shoot faster (I don't know much about paintball, I'm an airsoft guy), but as far as BB's being any less damaging when it comes to actually breaking stuff because of their smaller surface area, there's not much to that in this regard. BB's do a lot of cosmetic damage to paint and will definitely go into foam, so if you have foam armor or a nice paint job you don't wanna hit it with BB's, but paintballs because of their mass and velocity are going to break most hard objects. They don't do as much damage to foam because of what you said about them breaking and their larger surface area so the energy gets spread more and they're not being stopped as abruptly.

I've tested both out on a casted helmet. The airsoft gun (shooting around 325 FPS) chipped the paint and nothing else every time. The paintball gun... I didn't shoot it more than once because it put a beautiful hole right in the forehead and I had a lot to fix that day. I'm not trying to give you a physics lecture, you probably know all of this, but I'm fully confident that if Templar's pieces can hold up to a paintball, they CERTAINLY can hold up to a plastic BB. And since paintball is gonna repaint your armor anyways, you're gonna have that cosmetic damage anyways.
Thank you!;) I will go ahead and do the test anyway just to say that it was done. I'll keep y'all posted.

IMO, just drop the helmet idea, it's just too impractical and hazardous. You'll have better luck adding to an existing certified mask.

Look at the JT Delta Force full head coverage pb mask for $ 30.00. Pick up some foam mats, and try your build around the full head coverage pb mask. A guy at one of the pb games around here did that, and it look real good. Wish i had taken a pic of his mask, but was running the game at the time.

Is there a safer substitute for fiberglass resin (to keep the Kydex from bending)?
Please define what you mean by "safer."

Edit:
Just tested the kydex with an $80 airsoft rifle (I can't remember what the FPS is) and the results: Not a scratch. The plastic BBs bounced off without marking, scuffing, or denting the Kydex in anyway. Hope that helps.

I didn't read all the replies so I don't know if anybody has mentioned this.

I wanted to make ODST armour for paintball for a while. Instead of making each piece individually, why not just vacuum form the pieces, fiberglass and cover the inside with foamies. Obviously, the costume would probably get ruined but I only wanted to make a helmet (over the original paintball helmet ), chest and accessories, shoulders, gaunlets and hip pads so It's easy to run around in. I'll make a test video one day when I get my ODST base models done.
I'd like it mostly for the costume contests they host here during the summer games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back