Air Assault Foam Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually the visor had been connected to the helmet at the bottom. I used a rubber garage door seal to fill the gap. For the photos I took over the weekend, I'd pulled out the rubber, because it also made the neck seal and it was coming detached after comic-con. Ventilation-wise, the fan at the intake did a great job of keeping the right side of the helmet cool and prevent the visor from fogging up. At least until I broke the wire on day 2 :p. And the helmet is really quite spacious on the inside, there's at least an inch clearance on either side that I had to fill up with foam. The big problem is the neck hole at the bottom is a very very close fit that scrapes my cheek bones whenever I put the helmet on.

Found this build just now. It was interesting to see how you went about it. :) I can't wait to see what you do next. Keep it up!

Found this build just now. It was interesting to see how you went about it. :) I can't wait to see what you do next. Keep it up!

Thanks! I've actually been wondering what's been happening with your armor and Phoenix team. You were making Kelly out of foam right?

Another nice foam build, you did a great job. I like the foam because you can remake and reshape it and add to it as well.

For your female variant you may want to consider hiding the seams differently, as opposed to alot of seam filler. One way I have found to be effective is to join some of the pep shapes together prior to cutting the foam and then carving the back of the foam to achive the definition line without a visible seam.

Your girl looks good in your armor, she is simply a little too short for it. Her custom armor should look better, remember there are different pep files for the female MKVB. The torso is more narrow, the handplates are different and the parts in general have an overall thinner shape.

wow awesome build! I cant believe you did it all out of foam, thats so impressive! I would love to make a kat armor some time :)

Awesome build! Foam makes everything look badass!

One question, Can you apply resin/fiberglass on foam? I doubt it but I just wanna make sure.

I haven't personally tried putting resin on foam, but I believe I saw someone do it in a youtube video. The name/link totally escapes me at the moment. In anycase, the foam did survive being resined, but I believe it started curl up because the resin was contracting as it hardened. Still, I'm not sure why you'd want to put resin on foam, it's pretty durable as is, and I think one of the main selling points of using foam over cardstock/resin is the fact that it remains somewhat flexible/squishy.

The armor looks great, when i first saw some of the pictures at the convention, everything looked perfectly proportional, but in a few others it all looked like a spartan bobble head or somthing, never the less it all looks great. Some battle damage would look sick.

Also, what was the file for the Air Assault helmet ? i can seem to find a good one for my next helmet

Just zoomed by and saw you joined the same year I did. However the biggest difference is you actualy got a suit complete! I congratulate you on that man. Great job...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back