Air Assault Foam Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spacemeat

Hey everybody, I figured I'd make a little thread about my armor progress. So anyhow, building armor for Comic-Con which means I've got roughly 10 weeks to finish this. *gasp* time flies! The majority of the armor is going to be foam, but at this point I've coped out and a few pieces are the traditional cardstock/resin route:

IMGP4269.jpg
IMGP4271.jpg

IMGP4272.jpg

IMGP4273.jpg

IMGP4274.jpg

IMGP4275.jpg

IMGP4276.jpg

IMGP4277.jpg

Dude, that foam (and pep) work is amazing! And wow... 10 weeks, that's gonna be a rush :\

Ohwell, looking at what you've got, should be awesome! Good luck!

I think you should be able to complete this in 10 weeks. :)

I had about the same time, maybe less when I started my build and I am hoping to have mine finished by May 14th. All I have left to do is the chestplate, belt, forearm and then finish the prosthetic arm. You can do it. Just keep at it and dedicate your time to getting it done. :)

Thanks for the replies guys!

@SkullBoy13: There's several other foam builds around here, but what I've been doing is printing out patterns from pepakura, stripping out the parts that are not neccessary, tracing the patterns onto the foam and cutting and gluing them together.

@Chaotic Tinkering: I'm not sure yet, but I found some silicone sealant that the use for tile grout, looks to be flexible, sandable, and paintable so I think its a good candidate.

And some updates:

I've build the cod piece (foam underpants!)
IMGP4365.jpg

IMGP4366.jpg

Some UA Base Security Shoulder Pads:
IMGP4367.jpg

And UA Base Security Chest Attachment:
IMGP4369.jpg

Quick update:

Finished the right Thigh, hopefully have the left done tommorow.

IMGP4371.jpg

IMGP4370.jpg

IMGP4372.jpg

Also picked up a blue motorcycle visor today. Seems like it will fit, but since the helmet is more narrow than a motorcycle helmet, I'm probably going to have to flex the visor to get it in. A bit concerned about the long term effects as the visor would then be constantly pushing outwards on the helmet. Probably going to reinforce it with more fiberglass tommorow just to be safe.

IMGP4375.jpg

IMGP4376.jpg

It's looking awesome, keep up the great work!

Also picked up a blue motorcycle visor today. Seems like it will fit, but since the helmet is more narrow than a motorcycle helmet, I'm probably going to have to flex the visor to get it in. A bit concerned about the long term effects as the visor would then be constantly pushing outwards on the helmet. Probably going to reinforce it with more fiberglass tommorow just to be safe.

That's pretty much the norm. I had to flex my visor for it fit inside my helmet too. It's in a constant state of compression, but it's holding up well, as is the helmet (even with only one layer of fiberglass). I wouldn't worry too much about it. :)

Well, guess it's been nearly two months and a little over three weeks till comic-con. So here's an update:
All the major building work is done. Just need to seal the seams, plastidip, and paint.

IMGP4448.jpg

IMGP4449-1.jpg

IMGP4452.jpg

IMGP4453.jpg

IMGP4459.jpg

IMGP4457.jpg

IMGP4468.jpg

The helmet is nearly there, just about ready for final sanding and primer, I still see tons of imperfections but at some point I need to just step away and let it be.

IMGP4463.jpg

IMGP4464.jpg

Probably going to start on the undersuit this weekend, getting down to the wire!

Actually, I've been using lightweight spackling to fill in the seams and generally smooth over botched areas. It quite easily sandable, I'm just using it to smooth everything over before I layer on some plastidip

Actually, I've been using lightweight spackling to fill in the seams and generally smooth over botched areas. It quite easily sandable, I'm just using it to smooth everything over before I layer on some plastidip
How does it fare against being over bent? Cuz I just recently decided to use Mod Podge and with enough layers it sands smooth pretty easily and can be bent with out breaking or cracking. but it doesnt "fill" in seams very well cuz its too liquidy

Bending-wise, it's hard to tell. If I fill a corner with a lot of the stuff and bend it, then it cracks. But light layers on the surface don't seem to have a problem with the flexibility of the foam. I'm counting on the top layer of plastidip to hide cracks and breaks in the spackling, since the purpose of the spackling is merely filler and smoothing over seams.

Ok update. All the pieces except the chest plate have been coated in plastidip and some are primed and ready to to paint. I've been experimenting with diluting the plastidip to make it go on smoother and I'm liking the results.

IMGP4475.jpg

IMGP4477.jpg

IMGP4495.jpg

IMGP4497.jpg

The spackle does seem to work as a seam filler, I've been using it to patch up some of my more awful mistakes too. Once a couple of layers of plastidip are on, there's really no visible cracking or anything like that, and it certainly helps hide the seams

IMGP4478.jpg

IMGP4479.jpg

IMGP4483.jpg

IMGP4484.jpg

IMGP4501.jpg

Also got the DMR built, ready to move on to resin and attaching the barrel

IMGP4472.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back