Reach Suit Reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well this mold was an epic fail, I'm going to try again with all oomoo later this week. I also plan to do the mold as a different type of box, with much closer sides. On the down side I just wasted $200 of molding materials. On the happy side I learned exactly what not to do. Here is my new... Better plan

The Red line is where the clay will separate the 2 halves. This should allow for a much smaller molding box, and use much less rubber. Also the parting lines will be much easier to sand as opposed to my previous attempt.

MoldBoxPlan.jpg

P.S.
I would love to take this opportunity to show you guys that even though I have been making props for 10 years now I still mess up just like everyone else. Don't be afraid to FAIL... Otherwise you will never learn how to Win

Pics of mold fail. It came out to thin in the back, and several places did not cure correctly. This is probably do to the fact that the Rebound was old, but it's still sad. To give you an Idea of the size, that is a 16" pizza box it's on. So needless to say this was not even close to the right way to do a box mold.

th_IMAG0106.jpgth_IMAG0107.jpg

if you get the beauty layer on with the rebound you can bulk it up with the cheap silicone caulking. works wonders when you got a lot to do with limited good silicone

Version 2 of the gauntlet mold is now half done. Had to order more omoo as I drastically under valued how much I would need. The good thing is that this mold is actually going to work so Gauntlets will be up soon.
th_IMAG0118.jpgth_IMAG0117.jpgth_IMAG0116.jpg

I also have started the Helmets. Starting with a new Jorge helmet, here are shots of it at 7/16ths complete. I am cutting the pieces, then doing minor detailing, then gluing. Once all the pieces are together I will seam the helmet and do the final stage of detail work. I have to say that it is much easier to do the detailing on 1/16th of a helmet then it is to try and get a file into the small parts of a full helmet.

th_IMAG0114.jpgth_IMAG0113.jpgth_IMAG0112.jpgth_IMAG0111.jpgth_IMAG0109.jpg

This is such a unique way working that it keeps my interest peeked every time you update. Does sectioning off things like that create any major difficulties?

I'm sure I have more pics to upload but here's some work I did on the Jorge helmet today. Seaming up the helmet, and spent hours with the hand files doing the details. I'll throw up more as it happens
th_benhelmet008.jpgth_benhelmet007.jpgth_benhelmet003.jpgth_benhelmet002.jpg

th_benhelmet005.jpgth_benhelmet004.jpgth_benhelmet006.jpg

Ben, the teacher in me just can't stop from pointing out that your not following your own safety tips about wearing masks while sanding. LOL

That said, the work looks great. keep it up man.

lol, I'm not actually sanding in these pictures. It's a buffing pad. I use the buffing pad to smooth out the wood filler before it hardens so that I get nice clean lines. If you open some of the pictures you'll see the brown (natural) wood filler smeared all around the pad. :)

Here is the morning update:

Added the "ears" and continued to seam the parts. I hope to be complete on seaming the helmet by the end of the day. After that I will do the final stage of detailing and prep this guy for molding.

th_100_5043.jpgth_100_5042.jpgth_100_5041.jpgth_100_5040.jpgth_100_5039.jpgth_100_5038.jpg

Morning updates: Yup it's time for a break, it's just to dang hot out there.

So this morning I went ahead and sanded down the entire helmet with a 120 grit, then I added some details to the front of the helmet. Mainly the visor area and the "breathers". I'm sure anyone who saw the pics yesterday noticed me start these details with that little hand file. I also used a box cutter, so needless to say it took me about 6 hours :( but it looks great. Next (after it cools a bit tonight) I plan on seaming up some of the larger gaps in the back with bondo, and adding the rest of the back details. Little Jorge can't wait to meat his big brother ;p

th_IMAG0130.jpgth_IMAG0129.jpgth_IMAG0128.jpgth_IMAG0126.jpgth_IMAG0125.jpgth_IMAG0132.jpgth_IMAG0127.jpg

Looks just amazing, I can't imagine even thinking of doing this in wood like you. I can't wait to see how it looks when cast.

lol, I'm not actually sanding in these pictures....

Haha Good, I'd hate to have to share my horror stories sanding without a mask when I was much younger and what happened when I coughed and then blew my nose later that night. Let's just say, I could have built a wicker chair with what came out. Or then maybe that is more of a hilarious "you had to be there" moment that I shouldn't share. LOL Either way, your helmet is turning out fantastic as usual. You've really gotten helmet making down to an art. Can't wait to see more.

I know all about the blowing your nose later thing. Imagine sanding red spot filler for a few hours without a mask and blowing out some dark-red liquid substance later. Absolutely freaked me out, strictly use a mask now.

For those of you that missed the epically boring 4 hour live cast here are today's results. Detailing included more clean-up work on the front visor area, Detail work on the "Breathing Holes", The v on the back of the helmet, the detail line from the concept art located below said v, and preliminary detailing on the fore-head area.

th_helmet013.jpgth_helmet012.jpgth_helmet011.jpgth_helmet010.jpgth_helmet009.jpgth_helmet008.jpgth_helmet007.jpgth_helmet006.jpgth_helmet005.jpgth_helmet004.jpgth_helmet002.jpgth_helmet001.jpg

I'm sure I will live cast again tomorrow if you are that bored you can see it here
http://www.livestream.com/apropperslife

Current Updates:
Added some bondo to the back to even out the back curve-ears sections. Added basic details to ears (not final). Patched my first real big oops on the chin-fin, It broke when I dropped the helmet yesterday.

th_100_5058.jpgth_100_5059.jpgth_100_5060.jpgth_100_5061.jpgth_100_5062.jpgth_100_5063.jpgth_100_5064.jpgth_100_5065.jpgth_100_5066.jpg

awesome work man, it looks great and the wood makes it look cool even though it isn't finished, just great man and keep up the great work =D

Grenadier helmet is now almost done. Just waiting for the glue to dry on the ear details so that I can trim them down, then I have a couple of parts to patch up in the back rim of the helmet and this puppies done. Here are the updates from my second venture out into the heat today. Mostly clean up and the details on the ears and the temples for today.

th_IMAG0133.jpgth_IMAG0134.jpgth_IMAG0135.jpgth_IMAG0136.jpgth_IMAG0137.jpgth_IMAG0138.jpgth_IMAG0139.jpgth_IMAG0140.jpgth_IMAG0141.jpgth_IMAG0142.jpgth_IMAG0143.jpgth_IMAG0144.jpgth_IMAG0145.jpg

Today's updates:
Finished up the helmet (with the exception of final sanding), and finished up one of the thighs. Both need to be lacquered and prepped for molding. but other than that these guys are done :) I also started cutting out the chest (which should take a while), so while I take breaks from that... and molding... I will finish up the other thigh and the shoulders.

th_IMAG0157.jpgth_IMAG0156.jpgth_IMAG0155.jpgth_IMAG0154.jpgth_IMAG0153.jpgth_IMAG0152.jpgth_IMAG0151.jpgth_IMAG0150.jpgth_IMAG0149.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back