Reach Suit Reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I may make a suggestion, you need to increase your feed rate or decrease your spindle speed. I see some burning in the corners meaning your going to slow and the chipload is to low to remove the excess heat. I would also recommend using some type of processed material as stock; wood has a grain and in a unclean piece with a knot the varying hardness can make you miss steps (assuming your cnc is stepper based).

If I may make a suggestion, you need to increase your feed rate or decrease your spindle speed. I see some burning in the corners meaning your going to slow and the chipload is to low to remove the excess heat. I would also recommend using some type of processed material as stock; wood has a grain and in a unclean piece with a knot the varying hardness can make you miss steps (assuming your cnc is stepper based).

Sounds like good advice to me :)

Got some updated photos of the Gauntlet all seamed up. I still need to do some final details before I am happy enough to mold it, like seam up a couple of cracks in the wood, sand it down so there is no wood grain showing, and add some screws etc.

th_IMAG0055.jpgth_IMAG0056.jpgth_IMAG0057.jpgth_IMAG0058.jpg

Looks great Ben, glad to see your updates again. :D

Just for you sir I've got some more...
Spent most of the morning out in the shop today. Got the Gauntlet really sanded down. I am up to a 220 grit now. After getting to the 220 mark I started adding in some detail work. I will try and finish this up later today but it's over 110 degrees in the shop and there is no ac out there so I may have hit my limit for today.

th_IMAG0059.jpgth_IMAG0060.jpgth_IMAG0061.jpgth_IMAG0062.jpg

amazing attention to detail as always been. I'm itching to get back in the shop/classroom to get back to work myself. Updates like this just ramp up my eagerness. Thanks for sharing.

Dude! The forearm is looking amazing!! It kinda makes me a proud papa...*sniff* my little file found a good home. :'(

I tell you what those files of yours were defiantly worth the donation to your movie. Hopefully everyone else will also donate and get the files

P.s.
I went back out to the shop and cleaned up some of the detail lines

th_HaoReachGauntlet002.jpgth_HaoReachGauntlet005.jpgth_HaoReachGauntlet007.jpgth_HaoReachGauntlet008.jpgth_HaoReachGauntlet011.jpg

Still working on the gauntlet for minor re-detailing but I thought I would show off some new parts.

Today I finished the U/Gps add on for the gauntlet, the butt plate, and the cod plate for my multi-part cod, and am still working on the new resized calf.

th_IMAG0067.jpgth_IMAG0066.jpgth_IMAG0068.jpg

p.s.
I know the jokes are coming cause we've been making them for days, but after 10 hours of drilling this butt, and six hours of rubbing (sanding/detailing) that cod I have to say DAMB DYSTORTED INC, your sure have a pretty cod ;p

Again well worth the donation for these files

Thanks for the plug (no homo plz) and for posting my butt and cod that you worked so hard on. SERIOUSLY NO HOMO. They look really nice.

Just what everyone wants more cod pics :)

photo.php
264135_1927069293722_1151861815_31761365_6541629_n.jpg

parts 1 and 2 of the belt. Each side will have 1 part that hooks into the cod and 3 of the second piece as well as your choice of pockets (working on now hope to have images of the pockets up tonight) This will allow the cod to be adjusted from larger to smaller sizes as needed for smaller or larger people. Enjoy ;p more pics tonight.

Just what everyone wants more cod pics :)

photo.php
264135_1927069293722_1151861815_31761365_6541629_n.jpg

parts 1 and 2 of the belt. Each side will have 1 part that hooks into the cod and 3 of the second piece as well as your choice of pockets (working on now hope to have images of the pockets up tonight) This will allow the cod to be adjusted from larger to smaller sizes as needed for smaller or larger people. Enjoy ;p more pics tonight.

Wasn't expecting pictures of your morning cod wood.

But seriously that's a really smart idea you got there and most importantly practical.

Hope to see more of what you are doing soon.

Ben you've got some top notch work going here. Destined for elite if you keep up this pace. My favorite part of this build so far is the choices your making early to account for different body types. Planning makes so much difference when it comes to producing high quality work. That is one lesson I wish every one of my students would learn.

Well I have a ton of updates for this thread. Those of you who are on my facebook have seen the day by day of this build but here are some high lights.

The Gauntlet is now finished and ready for molding:
th_100_4945.jpgth_100_4946.jpgth_100_4947.jpgth_100_4948.jpgth_100_4949.jpgth_100_4950.jpg

I have finished the initial detailing on the first thigh v2. Still need to seam it and do the finial details.

th_100_4960.jpgth_100_4959.jpgth_100_4958.jpgth_100_4957.jpgth_100_4956.jpg

I Started the shoulders over due to damaging the first one. I've got this one to the same phase of completion although some of you may notice it's the opposite shoulder. I need to seam it and add final detailing and this guys done.
th_100_4955.jpgth_100_4954.jpgth_100_4953.jpg

continued in post #35

I have completed all the parts for the cod/ belt and all have been final detailed. I plan on sanding these down this week with a 320 grit so that they are ready for molding.
th_100_4965.jpgth_100_4964.jpgth_100_4963.jpgth_100_4962.jpgth_100_4961.jpg

This is the Kat thigh add-on and it is scaled to the thigh above. Again this is in it's first stages of detail work, and still requires both seaming and final details.
th_IMAG0074.jpgth_IMAG0073.jpgth_IMAG0072.jpgth_IMAG0071.jpg

I feel like I'm leaving something out, but that's it for now guys....

Started molding the Gauntlet today thanks Newspartancreator donating some molding supplies, and finding some in the back of my garage. Hopefully these will all cure (crosses fingers). The first side took 2/3rds a gallon of rebound 25, which is all the rebound I have, the second side will be made out of oomoo since that's what Newspartancreator gave me. anyway this is my first, and judging by the cost probably my last box mold. FYI this is going to be almost $400 worth of molding supplies :(

th_IMAG0101.jpgth_IMAG0103.jpg

Wouldn't a glove mold been a better alternative? a lot less "wasted" material in there... but hey, you're the expert. and legos... ah, the ultimate mold-box maker! :D All the stuff looks awesome ben, can't wait to see what a pull looks like!

Wouldn't a glove mold been a better alternative? a lot less "wasted" material in there... but hey, you're the expert. and legos... ah, the ultimate mold-box maker! :D All the stuff looks awesome ben, can't wait to see what a pull looks like!

yes It definitely would have been better to do a glove mold. This is my first actual Box mold. To be honest I didn't think it would use that much rubber, but with the way I am planning to cast the gauntlet a 2 part mold is needed, and a box mold just made sense for that.

The problem is you lose SO much on the corners. I did that with a miniature bust I sculpted, and suddenly half of my 1lb silicone kit was gone. Had I gone the glve mold route, I would have used maybe an 1/8th of a pound, maybe. If you still want to do a box mold, I would have reduced the size so it maintains a constant thickness all around. Say 1 inch or so. that would have cut down on rubber consumption. Personally, I would have done what hugh did with his ODST helmet. He made the clay wall, laid the helmet on it's side, and gave it several layers of rubber. HE then flipped it and repeated the process, so you still have the 2-part mold, but without all the wasted silicone. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back