Reach EOD helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
What the...wait, how did I miss this?? Hypers, yet another incredible work of art. Mad props for your smoothing ability, it's just phenomenal to see how nice of a surface finish you get on your pieces. :eek Your excellent painting abilities just tops it all off. Love the little warning labels you put on there. They seem like they're from an existing product, mind sharing where you got them from?

Also, I got to ask: got a suit to go with it? ;)

Thanks Spitfire, I found a really good refrence pic and what I thought were originally little gray painted areas were actually warning labels, so I searched online for warning labels found one that looked close to the refrence pic then printed it onto a shipping label, sprayed that with a clear coat to protect it from rubbing off the ink, also to scale it to the helmet I imported the image to the pep file put the label to the part it needed to be stuck to and adjusted its size to fit that part, it was pretty simple and it actually worked but for the USNC logos and the EOD symbol on the front of the helmet Im going to use water transfer paper for that part (the same stuff that comes with plastic models to apply decals) because I need it to be transparent, hope that helps, also I do have most of the parts pep'ed for a reach suit but Im not sure if I want to finish it, Im just finising up the helmet because I peped it when it was first released and its been sitting in my closet for months, so basically im just working on it for practice, I really have no plans for the helmet, But I needed a break from the Busa which still is a work in progress, It was actually nice to work on something diffrent

Hyper man you gotta slow down...I'm only a day behind on this post and your already this far.....

It's turning out great man. Even the teacher in me is speachless about how much you've acomplished in such a short time. Keep it up.

Thanks everyone for all the comments, They help keep the motivation going and that helps alot, glad you guys like the helmet

My weathering attempt paint job
I thought I could finish this helmet today, but forgot I had to got to the Dr's today so all I managed to do was the weathering, the problem is Im not very good at doing the weathering process, I can do bondo and base coat painting but I really haven't done to much weathering, you can see my first attempt at it if you look at the Halo3 EOD helmet in my signature but that was on a dark color and I didn't like the way it turned out, now this time doing it over a lighter color is a pain, since this is a EOD helmet I thought it should look like it may have been involved in some sort of explosion or combat, so the dirty look was what I was trying to achive, also the scratched up look, everyone I ask if it looks ok say it does but they are still amazed the helmet started out as paper so any flaw would look good to them, so Im asking you guys did i over do it and what needs to be improved, or does it honestly look ok, be honest this is how I learn how to do things like this, give me your opinions, its only paint and if it looks bad I can easily repaint the helmet and try it again, I may be my own worst critic but it helps when learning to do this stuff thanks in advance

DSC04669.jpg

DSC04668.jpg

DSC04667.jpg

DSC04664.jpg

DSC04672.jpg

DSC04670.jpg

DSC04684.jpg

Let me know what you guys think is it over done or is the weathering/damage look ok BE HONEST, if you want to see what it looked like before weatering look at the pics on page 1 and 2

Weathering looks great! If you were to mold it I would probably have to get my hands on one.

Thanks Brandon, the more I look at it the more im getting used to it guess I was just used to seeing it all nice and clean looking, not sure if im going to cast it or not, if I do I'll post the process on this thread

The weathering itself looks great. The only concern I have is the black parts (around the visor, back of the helmet and near the front). The black is too clean and shiny and looks like you used a satin paint. Flat black with a hint of silver highlight might look good, but that's just my opinion. This helmet really looks awesome, you should be proud of it.

Also using a grey-brown acrylic wash (cristal cleaner, the blue one, mixed with acrylic paint, usually black or grey) will do some higlights on the black zones. This is usually used at the movie prop industries.

That is looking amazing! The weathering looks really natural, not over the top like a lot of other builds I've seen. Are you thinking gold visor? Or maybe silver? Either way, that looks awesome!

I like the weathering a lot. It looks very worn, like it's from a post-apocalyptic movie or something you'd see in Fallout. The black still looks too clean, but I'm sure that's just because you hadn't gotten to it yet. Other than that this is one of my favourite weathering jobs I've seen on here.

Thanks everyone for the comments, now I don't feel bad about my weathering, but it seems like the biggest thing I need to figure out is how to weather the black areas, Im not sure if those areas would get all scratched up in real use because they are recessed into the helmet, I don't think the pics show the top to much but to make that area look worn, I gave it a light sanding to kind of scratch it and fade it a little, but the sides and back wouldn't get bumped as much, Im going to seal the paint with a flat clear coat to kill the shine, and hopefully that will help, but if anybody has some good ideas please let me know, your help would be much appreciated

I'll echo what the others said about the weathering. It's pretty much spot on. Not only does it look good/realistic/believable, but it just about the right amount.

As for the black areas, try "white-washing" instead of black-washing. I would go very lightly with it though. For the black areas on my suit, I would stroke the paint brush on them when I was dry-brushing, but only when most of the paint was gone off the brush and it was in need of another spray. In effect, using the residual paint on the brush to make sure there wasn't much left.

Hope this helps! :)

I'll echo what the others said about the weathering. It's pretty much spot on. Not only does it look good/realistic/believable, but it just about the right amount.

As for the black areas, try "white-washing" instead of black-washing. I would go very lightly with it though. For the black areas on my suit, I would stroke the paint brush on them when I was dry-brushing, but only when most of the paint was gone off the brush and it was in need of another spray. In effect, using the residual paint on the brush to make sure there wasn't much left.

Hope this helps! :)

I was thinking about trying that, did you use silver or white? I bumped it a couple of times with the silver but it was to much, of course that was just after I misted the brush

Very realistic weathering! The areas you applied the weathering on are the actual areas where they would actually be with normal wear and tear on a real helmet. Fantastic job!

On my CQB, I used gloss White (won't be doing that again, flat from here on out.) So I wet sanded it with 1000 grit and to make it look worn I kept going until you could very faintly see the under coats coming through of gray and silver, it not only dulled the paint, but made it look well used too. I hope this helps. Keep up the great work on it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back