Saber's Second Project- Agent Texas Style! (PIC HEAVY)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to let you know, that visor you bought is transparent, but if that's the look you're going for than by all means go ahead and purchase it.. Just a little forewarning. I'm not trying to be the bearer of bad news here, but I'm just trying to help you out a little. :)

there is a drop down menu on the page, you can choose from clear, tinted or smoked options. My guess is that she got the tinted one. But of course I could be wrong and maybe saber will try colouring her own visor using a method something like Thorsolli's. Either way you know that thins is going to look good after Saber is done with it.

Caboose vs Grif: I had this conversation with Annanymous when I brought up this page before and I did pick the tinted visor like Nessy said. If the visor does turn out to be transparent, I can either deal with it, or return it and find another.

Nessy: Correct, sir! And d'Awwwwww! You're so sweet! :D

The past couple of days have been decent so I managed to get more done on the helmet.
I'll keep the text short so you can check out the pics.

Rondo fully cured
photo50.jpg

Back Neck Guard removed and replaced with foam
photo51.jpg

photo59.jpg

photo58.jpg

Fiberglassed
photo57.jpg

Bondo
photo56.jpg

Beginning of Sanding
photo53.jpg

Extra Detail
photo54.jpg

photo55.jpg

photo52.jpg

So that's what I got for the next week. Forecast says it's supposed to rain through next Sunday. :(

As always, comments and critique are welcome and encouraged!

Stay Frosty, 405thers!
-Alexis

Hey guys, I bear pictures!
I got more stuff done on the helmet. Not completely done, but it's getting there.
photo64.jpg

photo65.jpg

photo68.jpg

photo69.jpg

I got the visor in the mail and unfortunately, our worse fears have been realized.
It's not gold. Not in the least. And it's super big. I don't even know what kind of helmet it's supposed to fit on!
I'm going to try and return it, if possible and try to find another visor.
Hopefully I can find one that's under $20...

I also managed to finish the second shin. Pads and lights have been installed.
Sorry about the crappy lighting but here's both shins next to each other.
photo66.jpg

photo67.jpg

I also rondoed the toe ends of the boots. I started doing that to the back portion, but they were so warped out of whack and not fitting together that I decided to just toss 'em. i'm contemplating redoing them in foam. But I'll have to go the store and get more foam. Good thing a big pack at Harbor Freight is only $10.
photo60-1.jpg

I have yet to continue on my AR, but maybe I can get going on that too. The extra foam that I'll buy will work good with it.

[EDIT: Forgot to post about my chest piece!!!]
I also managed to resin the chest piece about 75%. The ab plate is resined and ready to rondo.
photo61.jpg

photo63.jpg

The weather has gone back to crap (wind, rain, hail, rain, tiny bit of sun, rain, hail, etc.) and I won't be able to work much.

I'll post some more as soon as I get more progress along!

As always, comments and critique are welcome and encouraged!

Stay Frosty, 405thers!
-Alexis

looking awesome! I like the details that you are going for in the helmet, although forgive me if I missed this part, but didn't you already have a tex-helmet posted earlier in this thread? Or are you redoing a new one for extra detail?

Thorn: Thanks!

Anna: The helmet that you've seen in previous pictures is my original MC helmet that I made with my first build. I just gave it a new paint job for the when I wanted to take pics of my Tex build. I'll be repainting it MC colors when I'm done with this helmet.

-Alexis

chek this out, can't beat twelve bucks!(just make sure you get the tinted one if you don't plan on tinting it yourself lol): Visor

Last edited by a moderator:
chek this out, can't beat twelve bucks!(just make sure you get the tinted one if you don't plan on tinting it yourself lol): Visor

That's the one I paid for and it ended up being a total dud... -_-
I keep bugging my mom about returning it (since I got it through her Amazon account) but we never got to and now I think I'm at a loss of $12. :C

But I appreciate you looking for me!

-Alexis

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the one I paid for and it ended up being a total dud... -_-
I keep bugging my mom about returning it (since I got it through her Amazon account) but we never got to and now I think I'm at a loss of $12. :C

But I appreciate you looking for me!

-Alexis

wait, thats the one that ended up not working? I think that was the visor I was going to get for my helmet, but now I know not to. Sorry that it didn't work out, are you sure you selected the tinted one when you bought it?

_____
EDIT:
I just did some research, and I know that this is a little bit over your price range but I found these visors - Some of the visors vary in price (if you pull down the drop down menu and select a different color, it will bring you to that page and show you the price.)

They come in several different colors, and basically all 3 of the reviews rave about how the tint /mirror effect is really good and no one can see your face at all. (for the smoke tint / smoked with silver mirror tint.)

I might end up getting one of these just because I really like the blue / silver visors, but it is a bit pricier.

I'm positive that's what I selected.
I actually found another visor on ebay here and I've had my eye on it for a few days now.
But I may find something better.

I appreciate your help!

-Alexis

This all looks so awesome so far!

Question, with the helmet I noticed you found the perfect piece to put for the ribbed piping. What is that?

Sorry if I worded it horribly, if you want I can quote which picture to be more clear. xD

This all looks so awesome so far!

Question, with the helmet I noticed you found the perfect piece to put for the ribbed piping. What is that?

Sorry if I worded it horribly, if you want I can quote which picture to be more clear. xD

No, I understood perfectly. Problem is, I don't remember it is called exactly... ^^;
It's a tubing that you can buy at any hardware store. I got it at Ace Hardware for a relatively cheap price and I had to cut out the piece to fit in the indentation on the helmet.

Okay, now time for Progress. And anti-progress... :C

So here's the helmet all painted and weathered.
photo77.jpg

photo76.jpg

photo75.jpg

photo74.jpg

It looks pretty and I'm really proud of it but I have come to the ultimate decision (after much internal debate) that I can't use this helmet. :C
It's just too darn small. I thought that I would be able to deal with it if I took the padding out, but even then I found that my nose stuck outside the limits of where the visor would have been. My nose would be squished.
So I can't use this helmet and I have to make a new one.
Sad, I know, but that's just how it is. It's a good thing I still have plenty of time before September.

I haven't started repepping the helmet yet, but that will be started soon.

Since the helmet doesn't fit me and no body I know really wants it, I don't really know what to do with it. I'll probably try posting it in the Classifieds section of the forum and see if I can sell it. If anyone is interested, PM me and we can talk.

The chest is now 100% resined (no pic) and the Ab plate has been rondoed. I didn't put enough hardener in the resin for the chest piece so it has been taking a while to cure. Good thing it's been so nice outside with higher temperatures!

I also decided to redo the thigh that I had already finished. I decided it was too uncomfortable because of a slight warpage in the opening by the knee so I remade it out of foam. It's 100% more comfortable and I can actually bend my leg all of the way!
I'll be making the second thigh out of foam too.
photo78.jpg

photo82.jpg

photo81.jpg

Thigh donned
photo79.jpg

Leg is bendable.
photo80.jpg

For the boots, I've decided just to scrap the toe parts and make both of them out of foam as well. It's so much easier to make things out of foam and much more comfortable. I haven't gotten on those yet, but I will soon.

I have an extra goodie to share with you:
I made these about a year ago but never thought about sharing them until now.
My very own, home-made, Digilegs Stilts.
photo71.jpg
photo73.jpg

photo72.jpg

It can get a little uncomfortable if I wear them for too long. Ten minutes is the longest I can wear them and it's not because of sore legs. The balls of my feet don't like having all of my weight on them. But if I took those blocks out from underneath them, then my toes would cram into the front of the shoe. So if you Elite Costumers out there have any advice, please share! I'd greatly appreciate it! I'd hate not to follow through with this idea just because my feet hurt.

I've always had the plan to make a Sangheili (Elite) costume someday and this is just the starts of it. I don't plan on officially working on it until after this suit and possibly not till after I'm done making a Reach suit.
But I just wanted to share, so there you go!

That's all I got for you today and I'll hopefully have more progress you you guys soon.
(It's been a rough week for my suit...)

Stay Frosty, 405thers!
-Alexis

The ribbed tubing looks pretty similar to the tubing that I used for my MkVI helmet, which was a bit of 1-1/2" sump pump tubing you can find at pretty much any Lowe's, Menard's, Home Depot, etc. It comes in rather long lengths, so you may want to try to find other uses for it as well.

Saber, this is all looking very good, keep it up!

For the stilts the only thing that I can think of would be to use shoes that have some kind of ankle support. I would personally look for something like combat boots that I could lace up from my toe to well above my ankle. That would (in theory) hold your entire foot in place so no more sliding forward, plus it helps a little with stress on your ankles.

I should mention that I have never made or used stilts like that, I'm just brainstorming here.

I've always had the plan to make a Sangheili (Elite) costume someday and this is just the starts of it. I don't plan on officially working on it until after this suit and possibly not till after I'm done making a Reach suit.
But I just wanted to share, so there you go!

That's all I got for you today and I'll hopefully have more progress you you guys soon.
(It's been a rough week for my suit...)

Stay Frosty, 405thers!
-Alexis

Hey! Hope you dont mind me posting pictures but here is how I solved the toe problem:
2012-04-26_18-27-03_337.jpg

I used an old pair of my skates, relativly easy to dismantle and the bonus is that the actual boot had holes in it that I used to secure them to the wood. I used two 14in drawer slides (because my family are all giants) and secured them to the skate itself where the ankle pivots and not the wood. making the joint pivot on the wood creates unnatural feel to the legs and wears out the user faster. The benifits of using the old skates as well gives a more secure place to put your feet. toes won't crunch up and get sore. Any questions just send me a message! Hope I helped! Oh and Great Build so far! Lovin it!

Nessy: Thanks for your suggestions!

XxDrxNinjaxX: Cool! I may have to try that out! I don't have any skates but I bet I could find some at a "knock-off" store around town.
I'll probably look into it AFTER I'm done with this suit. haha

Hey guys,
Quick half-update. (I'll post the other half later today because I currently don't have all of the pictures)
I have been working on the boots for the past few days and here are some pictures that I took half way through.

photo83.jpg

photo84.jpg

I have already foamed the top portions and one boot is completely foamed and I'll post those pics when I get back from class later today. I also might get some plastidip applied to fill in cracks/seams. I've noticed that I'm getting progressively better at foaming which makes me very happy!
I'll definitely be making my Reach suit out of foam. No doubt.
I hope I can eventually foam as well as RoxyRoo does... :D

Helmet has not been printed yet but I have printed the foam template for the right thigh. I'll get to that soon. The inner thigh of the left thigh has been installed and I'll need to find magnets or buckles so I can start to piece things together.

I'll post more pics when I get back.

Till then!
Stay Frosty, 405thers!
-Alexis

I got more progress and I have those pics I promised yesterday so I just crammed it into a semi-update.

Both boots are foamed, plastidipped, and have their first coats of black paint.
I hope to finish the boots tomorrow, minus the clips and straps.

photo85.jpg

photo86.jpg

photo90.jpg

I even added some extra detail to the treads of the boots. It also gives me another inch to my height so it's an added plus.

photo87.jpg

I needed a break from foam so last night I pepped the side helmet attachment for the Recon Helmet. After this build, I plan on making a Reach suit so this is just a little teaser.

photo88.jpg

I plan on starting the second thigh tomorrow and getting a new helmet printed out.
But here is the inner thigh attached to the left thigh. I don't have it completely glued in the center so I am able to take it off with a buckle. This makes it easier to remove in case I need to use the restroom.
photo89.jpg

That's all for now!
Comments and critique are fully accepted and encouraged!

Stay Frosty, 405thers!
-Alexis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back