Props Noobs MA37 Assault Rifle from cardboard (pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another update ......

I've started the painting stage now, but instead of just posting a few pics I thought I would describe what I'm doing and more importantly why I'm doing it.

I use a few different painting systems dependant on materials used, outcome required and level of detail required. The materials used in this build have advantages (cheap, easy to work and readily available), as well as a number of disadvantages (not waterproof, not super strong, differing surface finishes).
In order to over come the disadvantages I use a base / primer coat of matt automotive spray paint. this will help the materials to be a little more water resistant. The difference in surface finishes of the materials is quite striking. Dry glue is very shiny, printed card surfaces are also shiny. Unprinted card has a satin finish and foamies are very matt.
A single coat of paint will show all these deviations which is not desirable. i want a nice unified finish so that subsequent layers can be judged in advance.

Since this weapon is basically dark grey I decided to use three light(ish) coats of matt black auto spray for the base. Here in the UK I have settled upon Halfords own brand (it's an auto parts store), because it's pretty cheap and give a finished patina that I really like. I used half a can on the MA37 to do the three coats so it works out at about £3.50 GBP or around $5 USD.

here's the first coat of paint. I have masked off the battery pack, the switch and the ammo counter window. You can see the different surface finishes showing through the paint.

ma37_wip_32_by_marshon-d3h4y36.jpg

Here's the final coat having just been sprayed. you can see the battery box cover in front of the rifle.

ma37_wip_33_by_marshon-d3h4y70.jpg

The left side of the gun after three coats have dried. You can see the battery holder hanging near the barrel and the battery box cover on the bench.

ma37_wip_34_by_marshon-d3h4ybg.jpg

and finally the right side of the fully assembled gun after the three base coats. Hopefully you can see that the patina overall is now much more uniform and because the entire gun has been painted it should be a little more water resistant.
From here on in it will be brush, dry-brush, air-brush and sponge to lighten, add shading and detail. the base coat has taken all day to produce due to drying times etc.

ma37_wip_35_by_marshon-d3h4yhd.jpg

more to follow.

I've almost finished the rifle now so there should only be one more update after this.

Once the base coat had dried for 24 hours I started to lighten the panels. I did this by airbrushing some dark grey into each of the general body panels. Don't panic if you don't have an airbrush, you can get a similar effect by cutting a really cheap bath sponge into 8 pieces, dab it into the paint then dab nearly all of off onto a bit of scrap card and then dab the model with the sponge.

ma37_wip_36_by_marshon-d3h5pmy.jpg

I then went back over with a lighter grey.

ma37_wip_37_by_marshon-d3h5pqp.jpg

Next I began a first subtle dry-brush to start to raise the details.

ma37_wip_38_by_marshon-d3h5puq.jpg

I dry-brushed the barrel with gunmetal, silver and a touch of bronze to 'metalise' it

ma37_wip_39_by_marshon-d3h5pxd.jpg

Next, another all over dry-brushing with light grey to bring out the panel edges.

ma37_wip_40_by_marshon-d3h5q12.jpg

Next I added some dry-brushed metallic colours to the receiver sides. I also masked and sprayed to band round the scope. Client requested a white band to match his magnum.

ma37_wip_41_by_marshon-d3h5q5d.jpg

Next I started to add some shadow detail with matt black.

ma37_wip_42_by_marshon-d3h5q7i.jpg

More shadow details and some slight dry brushing on bits I thought needed it. Apart from some lettering panels and some final weathering and wear marks the gun is virtually completed.

ma37_wip_43_by_marshon-d3h5qb2.jpg

I'll post the last update once the weapon is completed.

Okayyyy....

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF O_O O_O O_O

Pls someone give me fresh Air, i am breathless at so much EPICNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!

FU**ING awesome 1:1 Look and Airbrush, you got the Skills Man!!!

BTW: Where can i get this Multiple Pistol Stand?

I am very humbled that some one as talented as you Simon, has made time to do this for little ole me. I know how lucky I am, but Im still counting the days till collection day ;-)))))

The Enrichment Center would like to remind you to deliver your aweso- er... Prop for proper disintegration.
Nice Assault Rifle, especially nice painting.

oh wow! why is this in the n00b forum?!? this pars with the elite showcase in my opinion.

i hope you made a mold of this before you painted it. it would be a real shame to damage that paint job if you do make some casts.

I can always make another one. Being unemployed I don't have the money (or the expertise yet) to take a mould of the weapon.
I'd be happy to hear from anyone who'd like to collabourate on doing so though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back