My First Build, Let's Start Small... (Jorge DONE, Heavy Machine Gun WIP, Pic Heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
the one thing that i see that some people seem to miss is to fill in the chest piece sides, it doesn't need to be snug but at least then the piece doesn't rock as you come on stage

the one thing that i see that some people seem to miss is to fill in the chest piece sides, it doesn't need to be snug but at least then the piece doesn't rock as you come on stage

I started to build some filler/undersuit for the sides of my chest, but again... ran out of time... and it was hot enough with the breezy openings, so I didn't really miss not having them there to bottle up my heat. I may still make them. It'll be a lot colder outside on Halloween so the heat might be welcomed. I'm actually thinking of putting a fan in my chest somewhere, so it may not be an issue by the time I get to it anyway.

im a bit late to this, but that is one awesome paint job. Love the weathering, very authentic. :)
and good job on the entire suit

im a bit late to this, but that is one awesome paint job. Love the weathering, very authentic. :)
and good job on the entire suit

Thanks, Annanymous!

Here are some pics from Halo-ween:

376420_10150367325384536_508064535_7919195_1902712495_n.jpg

Who's that lurking in the dark?
320875_10150367325509536_508064535_7919197_491842432_n.jpg

JORGE!
377865_10150367325579536_508064535_7919198_1617494883_n.jpg

...or as many young children called me.... "Bumblebee!"
379906_10150367329554536_508064535_7919259_1051885848_n.jpg

The ladies love a man in uniform. (My sister-in-law and her friend, who are too old for trick-or-treating)
389340_10150367328379536_508064535_7919243_523474971_n.jpg

My nephew is the real one who was trick-or-treating. He was Master Chief. He wore my old crappy armour, that I had to cut down to his size. We bought the plastic mask. He really needs to learn how to pose better.
307769_10150367413379536_508064535_7919881_2101905090_n.jpg

Seriously, what is he doing with his arms?
320013_10150367324619536_508064535_7919184_729767474_n.jpg

Ok, put a gun in his hands and now he looks like he's ready to kick some butt.

It was a fun night. I ended up changing into my Thor costume for the second half of the night. Check out those pics in my Thor thread linked in my signature.

One other thing I should mention about the night was how fogged up my helmet got. I guess because of how cold it was out my breath was fogging it up a lot more than it did at Fan Expo. So, yeah, it definitely needs a fan installed if I'm going to keep wearing it like this.

...or as many young children called me.... "Bumblebee!"

Haha, I know that feeling.

Apparently, this is a transformer:
th_MKVI065.jpg

And I just had to post this pic as well :p
th_MKVI066.jpg

Sorry for 'jacking your thread. You suit looks awesome, the effort you put in really shows. Huge improvement over the 'last' one :p

Squish

on Halloween in my suit ive been called, Robot, Ironman and Storm trooper and the more often (by guys) and much Closer, Master Chief. I pretty much just accepted ppl calling me master Chief cuz its really just a ranking so i could be a different Master Chief then THE Master Chief!

Haha, I know that feeling.

Apparently, this is a transformer:
th_MKVI065.jpg

And I just had to post this pic as well :p
th_MKVI066.jpg

Sorry for 'jacking your thread. You suit looks awesome, the effort you put in really shows. Huge improvement over the 'last' one :p

Squish

on Halloween in my suit ive been called, Robot, Ironman and Storm trooper and the more often (by guys) and much Closer, Master Chief. I pretty much just accepted ppl calling me master Chief cuz its really just a ranking so i could be a different Master Chief then THE Master Chief!

Yeah, I've been called master chief as well, and I figure "eh, close enough." Same game series anyway. Since it's an M rated game I don't expect many kids to know it, but there was one group of pre-teen boys who all seemed to know it was Jorge.

woooooooooooooohw... nice jorge!

Thank you.

How well did plaster wrapping your armor work?

It's a pretty good cheap alternative to fiberglassing (not that I really know from experience, since I haven't tried it), but I'd only recommend it for the inside. I only used it on my helmet, but I did inside and out. The outside made the bondo-ing kind of tricky. There are many edges I never got as smooth, or strong, as I wanted. If there are areas that aren't strong enough they'll bend and crack. I don't mind the rough edges, because it adds to the worn look, but I do have a crack along the chin area that I'll have to fix up.

Sad part is you'll always get called the name of the "main character" from anything you build... Hey look its Boba Fett! "shakes head... close enough"

Amazing work! I think your armor improvements have stepped up a notch or two! Great build, as said before very motivational!

...by jumping right into Jorge S-052!

I'm a big guy (6'3", 230 lbs) and he's my favourite Spartan in Reach, so why not?

Call me optimistic, but I'm hoping to have this finished by the end of August for Fan Expo in Toronto. Here are the files I'm using:

Jorge Helmet Unfolded by Brandon McClain
New Jorge Torso, Unfold by carpathiavh99
Handplate by Ruze
Bicep (left) Unfolded by McPrimus
Bicep (right) Unfolded by McPrimus
Forearm Unfolded by Jason02
Jorge Right Shoulder by Rhinoc
Grenadier Shoulder MS7 (This is the best model/unfold I've seen for this shoulder. I highly recommend it. Not sure who made it though.)

(I'll update the rest as I get to them. I do have them all downloaded, but some of them I need to trace back to where I found them)

I was feeling ambitious so I started with the helmet:
IMG_8735.jpg

I used hot glue and some extra card stock of a colour my wife didn't seem to care for, so I'm not sure the thickness.
IMG_8736.jpg

As you can see I didn't pep the visor part, I just didn't see the point if I had to cut it out later. Now I can see that it would've helped with some support. The visor hole looks very compressed because the top isn't properly supported. Hopefully I can find a way to just add some support inside.
IMG_8737.jpg

It's a pretty big helmet, but that's because I have a pretty big head. The neck hole is just wide enough that my ears scrape against it as I put it on, but it's a good fit once I'm inside. I can even wear my glasses under it!
IMG_8738.jpg

And with the attachment:
IMG_8740.jpg

I've now started on the chest piece. I'm going about it a different way. For Halloween last year I made another Spartan costume, but it was rushed and didn't turn out too well (see my profile picture), but I still have some left over supplies from it. One of the best things I learned from that "build" was to love pink insulation foam. It's pretty easy to cut with an exacto knife, very light, and very sturdy. I've decided to do a pepakura/foam hybrid with this material. I'm only using it for the bigger flat pieces and then using my card stock around them. We'll see how it goes. If it doesn't seem right it won't be too hard to disassemble the paper from the foam and go all pep. Here's the progress so far:
IMG_8742.jpg

And me in it for scale reference:
IMG_8746.jpg

I'm filling hollow pieces with expanding sealer foam. I did this for the helm's attachment too, but didn't take a picture.
IMG_8741.jpg

I think I started this a week ago today, maybe? It was a long weekend for me, so I pretty much just worked on the helmet for at least two days straight. I've got a lot of movie watching done. :D

Comments/criticism/castration welcome.

Where did you get the DAPTEX from

Happy New Year, 405th.

I haven't been around here in a while, but I'll hopefully be getting back into building later this year. My dad got me a fancy new rotary tool for Christmas, so that'll come in handy. My hopeful projects are:

-Redo Jorge's Legs (possibly all foam)
-Finish Backpack (started and then abandoned)
-Scratch build Jorge's chain gun
-Install helmet fan
-Build or upgrade Chest UA to look more game accurate (might try my hand at modeling clay)
-Figure out better way to mount hand plates to gloves (may just fill in behind them so there's more for the epoxy to bond to)
-Boots
-Chest/Shoulder detailing (nuts and bolts)
-Foam collar piece
-Foam abdomen under suit (inspired by TheBrandinator)

I wasn't planning on going to Fan Expo as Jorge two years in a row, but I really only dressed up for part of one day, I've already made some improvements and there are more to come, and the costume's not really complete without the gun.

I'm looking forward to see what else the 405th will create in 2012!

Gun Build (pics)

I've been updating the post above as a kind of "to do" list so I can keep my thoughts in order, but I figure I should make a new post to show the progress on the gun I'm scratch building if I want anyone to see it.

I'm following marshon's tutorial Scratchbuilt cardboard weapons for noobs, but a lot of its step-by-step pictures have been taken down. Luckily I had read through it a while ago and can remember what they looked like. Anyone new reading through will have to use their imagination. I'm using corrugated cardboard for the base structure (which I know isn't the best material to work with, but it's the free-est), then I'm covering it with a foam mat to smooth it out, and then more layers of foam for detail.

I took some reference pictures of my gun that came with the Jorge action figure, because doing that was easier than finding good ref pics of all angles. I then used Photoshop to scale the gun to my size:
gun_scaling.jpg

I then used a software called Posterazor to make a scale printout of the gun.

The front end is probably the only place I'll be using cardboard, so that's where I started. I cut out the shape, started filling in the inside with cb triangles for structure, but left spaces for the two cylinders to go through. The barrel is pvc pipe, and the bottom one is just a wooden dowel; I think it may have been a broom handle or something once.

The innards (unfinished):
IMG_3145.jpg

Outside (first foam layer):
IMG_3146.jpg

It took me a while to get motivated yesterday, but now that I've got it to this state I think I'll be more excited to work on it. I also made the aiming reticle out of the thicker foam, so it looks pretty sick now. Starting the details will be fun. The back half will be a challenge. I was looking for a wider pvc pipe but Home Depot only has up to 4 inches, but I think I need at least 5". I may have to just pad it up.

Anyways, I'd appreciate some feedback. Thanks in advance.

The name thing defiantly comes with the territory, you get use to it rather quickly. Just be happy you're a decent height, without fail every event I've done in my mando somebody says "Arn't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?". I'm looking forward to seeing the chain gun done! It's looking great so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back