A project actually for ME! (pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like how you detail your pieces by adding foamies. It seems like a relatively quick and simple but effective method of adding depth and layers.

I haven't worked with latex and haven't seen anyone use it in these forums. When you apply it does it only serve to bind a piece or does it actually add some rigidity to the piece as well? Would you mind describing some of the benefits and perhaps drawbacks with using the latex material?

Your build is looking great thus far. Keep her up!

I've been working with foam for props and prosthetics for more than 20 years now. Latex is INCREDIBLY strong, even a very thin coat adds enormous strength to the piece. I use a variety of different foams, the more flexible they are, the easier they tend to tear under stress. Once coated in latex they are virtually indestructable.

The other advantage of useing latex is that different foams have differing absorbtion rates. This can be a real pain when it comes to painting, since foams with a more open cell structure will absorb a lot more paint. By putting a latex skin on the faoms it seals them all and they will all paint the same way.

The disadvantages are that in it's wet liquid state latex smells exactly like cats piss. Furthermore since it is flexible there is a possibility that the paint may crack, although I have painted hundreds of pieces with acrylic paint and never had a problem.

With a latex coat you can use very cheap foam and produce results like this:

6e82b5759bca0f75f0288b3785d36324.jpg

Great work, Love the latex Tech. I assume you're using thin coat opposed to using Slush? Any ways, you're work is so remarkable that I already know that I'm going to love watching this build.

Great work, Love the latex Tech. I assume you're using thin coat opposed to using Slush? Any ways, you're work is so remarkable that I already know that I'm going to love watching this build.

Yes I'm using thin coat, I mix my latex myself for the viscosity I want.

Here's an update and a few observations of the site .......

After the first week of a planned 8 week Halo armour build here's where I'm at.
Body / Chest - base done, awaiting supplies of glue, blades and whatnot from fleabay.

Helmet - PEP made, glassed and rondo added. Iridium visor ordered from fleabay.

new_project_wip_20_by_marshon-d3i8h18.jpg

Shoulders - built and powdered ready for paint
Biceps - both completed and powdered ready for paint
Forearms - both completed and powdered ready for paint.

new_project_wip_19_by_marshon-d3i8gwp.jpg

Next stage is to make the thighs and shins. I already know which ones I'll be using for those. Cod piece and boots are another matter, seems we a re a bit limited for choices of PEP files there. I could be wrong of course.

Now, I have to say that I love this site, I lurked around and read up for months before posting anything constructive. There is a total wealth of information on here, with members having tried and tested literally hundreds of things with varying degrees of success. An excellent community. However I, like most members who have used this and other sites, get a bit exasperated with people who post questions that are seemingly in the stickies. That was until I tried to find something specific, and it's then that I find that the search engine, or more to the point the titles and tags are so haphazard as to be almost infuriating!
In addition many of the topic numbers have either been moved or removed - where's topic 2021 gone??!!

Here's my example: Trying to find one or more tutorials regarding my visor....... First general search for 'visor tutorial' returned the phone book, virtually ever single post that ever contained the word visor or tutorial. Most of the topics neither contained a tutorial or any practical help with a visor.

OK, refine the search. Go to advanced search and enter 'visor tutorial' and ask to search titles only. better results. plough through the topics for over an hour and a half. Most were neither tutorials or had any practical use for me. Most were from people asking the same as me 'where are there some tutorials for a visor?
Lots of responses with links to 'showthread=2021' which directs you straight back to the home page because the topic is either moved, renamed or removed.

Not much help there then. No wonder loads of noobs ask the same question leading to yet another visor thread.

Finally I came across a link reference to the dual visor tutorial. A great tutorial, it didn't answer my question but was well thought out and well described. Why the hell didn't t show up in my search then? Reason? Because it's title is 'Tutorial: visors' the colon and the fact that the word used is 'visors' not 'visor' (I don't want to make to make multiple visors) meant that the keyword search failed to find it.

might i humbly suggest that if an article is good enough to become a 'Tutorial' that an greed search term or a tag can be added (maybe by the mods) and a sticky on 'How to find stuff in the forums' is posted. I'm no idiot, or really a noob, but I found it highly frustrating knowing that information was in here somewhere but couldn't be found. Also that's the only proper tutorial I found on visors, although I'm certain that there are loads under other title headings.

Just my 2p

WOW... JUST WOW!

Just went through your Deviant art pages. Your work is amazing!

I'm definitly going to follow this thread. Lots of good ideas and methods to learn. eg. latex coating on the foam.

Thanks for sharing with us Marshon!

:)

Today's update:

I started on the thigh armour today. Looks like I can only get one done per day, so I've only done the left so far.
Here are the progress pics:

new_project_wip_21_by_marshon-d3ibfw1.jpg

new_project_wip_22_by_marshon-d3ibfzr.jpg

new_project_wip_23_by_marshon-d3ibg3u.jpg

and with the first coat of latex going on ....

new_project_wip_24_by_marshon-d3ibg6d.jpg

more will follow, but I won't bother to post the right thigh till we get to paint.

What latex are you using? Or was it mentioned earlier?.. Ill have to check. Nice work though, and considering how your rifle turned out, I may have to steal your skills to make my armor when youre done with them!

What latex are you using?

For my work I use three types of unbranded liquid latex. A thin coat theatrical latex used for prosthetics, a mid viscosity mold making latex and an industrial carpet adhesive latex which is very thick. By blending varying amounts of all three I can get the correct viscosity for almost any job. These aromour parts are being coated with 2 parts adhesive, 1 part mold and 1 part theatrical. Enough viscosity to cover well without filling in the detail parts.

For my work I use three types of unbranded liquid latex. A thin coat theatrical latex used for prosthetics, a mid viscosity mold making latex and an industrial carpet adhesive latex which is very thick. By blending varying amounts of all three I can get the correct viscosity for almost any job. These aromour parts are being coated with 2 parts adhesive, 1 part mold and 1 part theatrical. Enough viscosity to cover well without filling in the detail parts.

Ok you lost me here. Carpet adhesive latex. Are you talking about the glue we use to stick carpet to the ground or the seem glue? I've been using latex both thin coat and slush since the early 80's I would never have thought of using carpet adhesive, it sounds amazing! Next part of the question, I can't remember if the carpet glue was was water solvable (sp) or if you need thinner to clean it up.(sorry haven't done caret in over 15 years) And finally can you please link a place/places that sells each latex, It seems that my old SF/X shop went out of business since I got married (9 years ago). Thank you for you're time on this.

Edit: I keep forgetting you're on the other side of the pond, Links wont help me as much but it could still help others in you're area.

Edit: I keep forgetting you're on the other side of the pond, Links wont help me as much but it could still help others in you're area.

Wow! I am REALLY shocked! I'm forever moaning that we can't get product in the UK that seems commonplace in the US, but a search on ebay shows that for the first time it seems that we have GREATER choice than you! Well I never.

OK, there are a lot of non-branded latex products available over here, so theatrical liquid latex is generally a mid to thin viscosity product. Mold making and body paint latex is generally a little thicker and the adhesive latex is the same consistency as molasses.
Here's a link to the UK ebay item I use as the thickest product:

Adhesive Latex

Here in the UK it's used as a fabric and carpet adhesive but it's just thick latex.

Cheaper version

Thinner version

The cheaper the product generally the more water content and the thinner it is.

The armor is looking great man. I like the materials your using :) way to think smart when you dont have lots o' money

I thought I'd post a bit of an update. I got a bit side tracked over the last week or so!

So where am I up to on my 8 week build?

The weapon is about 50% completed.

new_project_wip_26_by_marshon-d3j5bxc.jpg

I've completed the right thigh and it now just needs latex and paint. Woohoo!

I started on the shins yesterday

new_project_wip_27_by_marshon-d3j5c0k.jpg

and I've got them to near completion, just a bit more detailing to add

new_project_wip_28_by_marshon-d3j5c33.jpg

I also got down to doing some work on the body armour today. Added the front drop panels, but no detailing or relief work as yet since I haven't decided where (or how) to fit the speaker for the voice distortion unit or the LEDs.

new_project_wip_29_by_marshon-d3j5c75.jpg

I've done a little better with the back since I don't need to worry about fitting anything. The lower panels have been added and I've detailed out the lower part.

new_project_wip_30_by_marshon-d3j5c9j.jpg

Next part is the knee armour, then the boots.

The lyrca / spandex undersuit has arrived, along with a mass of black foamies so next big job is the duct tape dummy. What fun!

Today's minor updates.

Work started on building up the rear panels on the body armour back plate. As you can tell it is a hybrid. I've used any panels I found interesting or pleasing from other designs.

new_project_wip_31_by_marshon-d3jbjfo.jpg

The completed back panels waiting for latex and paint.

new_project_wip_32_by_marshon-d3jbjjj.jpg

The lower back panel has been rubberised with latex (black latex body paint that I needed to use up). Just needs painting and weathering to complete.

new_project_wip_33_by_marshon-d3jbjn2.jpg

I'll go back to the gun tomorrow, trying to stay on target for an 8 week start to finished build.

i'm really impressed with the simplicity and speed of this build. Your experience in prop and costume making is definitely showing through.

is the chest going to be the only part non-halo related? either way this build is looking awesome, can't wait to see paint on what you got now lol

Looking sweet< I like how you mix it up using different types of foam to get a fine detailed look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back