A project actually for ME! (pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
is the chest going to be the only part non-halo related?

The gun is certainly non-Halo, but the rest is all based on or Halo-ish. The chest armour strated out as an H3 marine, the lower back is from another Halo chest and all the individual panels will be from some Halo chest or other.
I just went for something simple and quick to build really.

Another minor update today. Anyone waiting for updates on the weapon, my apologies, I got engrossed in the electronic circuits!

Anyway, since the speaker for the voice distortion unit will be embedded in the foam armour, I though it might deaden the sound too much so I've built a little resonator box for it. Eventually it will be covered in black mesh fabric and then have a foamy cover added.
Here's the wips:

new_project_wip_34_by_marshon-d3jhlft.jpg

new_project_wip_35_by_marshon-d3jhlhb.jpg

new_project_wip_36_by_marshon-d3jhliv.jpg

I've also been working on the main body armour. The front and rear lower panels are in place as is the webbing and clips. I've finished the back and started on the sides. My plan is to complete the armour round to the front where all the major work and wiring up needs to be done.

I've sort of decided to go for something like the UA Counter Assault frontal armour since I think I can fit it in with what I want to do. It will obviously not be an exact match.
Here's the body armour as of 6am this morning:

new_project_wip_37_by_marshon-d3jhllc.jpg

I'll mostly be wiring up LEDs today so I may not update tomorrow.

I haven't really done any updates for nearly a week!
I've been working on a couple of commissions and designing the electronics for the suit.

Anyway, here's where we are at after 4 of the 8 weeks I've allowed for this build:

Shoulders - Completed awaiting paint
Biceps - Completed awaiting paint
Forearms - Completed awaiting paint
Gloves - Completed awaiting paint
Thighs - Completed awaiting paint
Knees - Completed awaiting paint
Shins - Completed awaiting paint
Helmet - Glassed and Rondo'd, Bondo and sanding in progress.
Chest/Body armour - Nearly completed, last few panels and LEDs to add
Boots - Patterns cut but not started
Cod/belt - not started
Undersuit - Parts in but I still need to make my duct tape dummy
Weapon - 50% cpmpleted.
Electronics 50% completed.

Here's the wiring loom for the back of the lower frontal armour panel. It holds the speaker and 6 LEDs

new_project_wip_38_by_marshon-d3k4yeq.jpg

Here's the panel installed, needs latex and paint.

new_project_wip_39_by_marshon-d3k4yi0.jpg

and finally for this morning, a test run of the panel

new_project_wip_40_by_marshon-d3k4ykh.jpg

I may still be on target for an 8 week build.

Very nice build, I cant wait to see this finished. Out of curiosity, since I've never built with foam, what type of foam do you typically use?

Very nice build, I cant wait to see this finished. Out of curiosity, since I've never built with foam, what type of foam do you typically use?

I tend to use whatever I can get for nothing.
Furniture / Upholstery foam comes in thicknesses from 1/4" to 4" which is versatile but soft which make accurate cutting difficult.
Acustic foam packing is great, very strong but ultra cheap, it's made of the same plastic as refuse sacks formed into a foam, mines all 1/4" thick.
EVA foam, definately the best, and most common for most foam armour makers. Comes in thicknesses from 1/4" to about an inch, camping bed rolls and foam floor tiles are most common. A bit expensive for my tastes but cuts and sands beautifully.

Foamies, craft foam or 'Funky Foam' comes in thicknesses from 1mm to 4 mm, cuts as accurately as a laser cutter if you use a scalpel. I use it for all my detailing.

yeah. there is alot of envy coming from my poast. i struggled to get that ODST lower waste bit out of cardboard let alone foam!
and do you have a bigger pucture of the MNU armour, as i have always wanted a set since i was District 9?

Today's updates, I've finally finished the outer construction of the main body armour. I will go back and retouch any latex that has gone awol tomorrow. Next is wiring up the internal loom and fitting the control box for the electronics.
This part seems to have gone on for a very long time!
Anyway here are the WIPs

new_project_wip_42_by_marshon-d3ke2n9.jpg

Remaining panels added and latex started ...

new_project_wip_43_by_marshon-d3khcx6.jpg

a few bits of latex still to add .....

new_project_wip_44_by_marshon-d3khd2m.jpg

and latex finished off. Probably need some re-touching in the morning ...

new_project_wip_45_by_marshon-d3khd7w.jpg

Whilst waiting for latex to dry I have built the control box for the main body armour.

It houses the two batteries for the LED system and the amplifier. It has switches for the amp, LEDs and the input selector for either the voice distorter or an MP3 player. The preamp and distirtion unit will be housed in the helmet along with their own power supply.

The control box was once an old Modem, stripped of all its parts. Waste not want not.

coswip46.jpg

The amp is now installed. Notice that I have blanked off the top halves of the original RJ45 ports.

coswip47.jpg

All installed..

coswip48.jpg

and all screwed together. It will finally go in behind the chest plate where i have left a space for it. Velcro strips will hold it in place.

coswip49.jpg

Marshon this build keeps gettin cooler and cooler keep it up! And I like how you're reusin the old modem box, better use for it than in a junkyard.

Today's little up date. I have finally completed all the construction of the chest armour woohoo! Seems to have taken ages to get through this bit.

The control box installed inside the chest. The wiring loom will be covered in foamies and the entire inside coated with latex, but it is finished.

new_project_wip_50_by_marshon-d3kl8df.jpg

and finally yours truly actually getting to test fit the bloody thing now it's complete! Oh how I love modelling (not)

new_project_wip_51_by_marshon-d3kl8gy.jpg

I'm still waiting on a few parts for the voice distorter circuit, then it's the cod/belt and the boots.

Sir that is just Awesome. I love seeing you're update, And further more I'm learning allot just watching you're build. Thanks for sharing

Minor update, I haven't got as far as I wanted to this week. Mostly due to other commissions, and playing around with the electronics.

Anyway here's the belt / cod piece WIPs, its now ready for paint.
I haven't got to do any more work on the weapon this week, although I know people are waiting for updates.
This only leaves the boots, under-suit and completion of the helmet to finish then paint paint paint.

new_project_wip_52_by_marshon-d3ktrfp.jpg

new_project_wip_53_by_marshon-d3ktrhh.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back