Gears of War 3 Baird Foam Full Suit(scratch built). Will be ready for release night.

What weapon should I make to go with my suit?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got featured on EPIC!!!!!! I'm very exited about it. A big thanks goes to FL4K!!

Check it out
here.

This is the start to my full Baird suit. It is all scratch built and out of foam. Excluding the goggle which I sculpted and am going to mold and cast out of fiberglass.

Things I used(so I don't have to answer this anymore)
Dremel-with a sanding drum, carbine tips, cutoff wheel, and polishing stone. Figure out what bits work and don't work for you.
Foam mats- EVA foam floor mats from harbor freight or wal mart.
Hot glue-Glueing it together.
Heat gun- when the foam needs to be curved or bowled.
Practice-it takes time

A diagram of the boot hinge is on page 23.

Templates of the boots are on page 14. Look at my finished boots and you should be able to figure out how the pieces go together.

Morfdogg is working on scanning the rest of the templates up soon.

COMPLETED PICS ON PAGES 1-2, AND 20
ENTIRE ALBUM CAN BE FOUND
HERE

Completed1.jpg

Completed2.jpg

Completed3.jpg

Completed4.jpg

Completed5.jpg

Completed7.jpg

Completed8.jpg

Completed9.jpg

Completed10.jpg

Completed11.jpg

Completed12.jpg

Completed13.jpg

Completed14.jpg

Completed15.jpg

Completed16.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you do it man? You astound me every time. Well done! I can't wait to see it completed
I've never been envious of a pair of boots before...

I gotta know, where do you guys find this awesome foam - its showing up more and more as the days go on - it seems to be replacing the traditional Pep/fiberglass method all together, and it's amazing!

I looked locally and can't find anything, so product names/details, website would be awesome! it gives me such crazy ideas!

Dude that is soooo epic!!! i cant wait to see more

@ Kissker: Check out harbor freight stores i think thats where everyone is getting their foam for the most part. other than that check around online, its just high density foam floor mats. hope that helps a bit.

If you put as much effort into the rest of the suit as you did the boot, then this suit will be epic.

DUDE! That is freaking awesome! How do you get such detail with the foam? Do you use thin pieces or cut it and push it through slightly from the back?

I was thinkin you could use the 1mm thick craft foam found at walmart for some 'stand off' pieces too if needed, for further detail. What it appears done here is actual cutting/shaving/sanding down of parts to make the smaller parts visable. Carving/sculpting - which wouldnt surprise me since the goggles are hand sculpted and look amazing, so the detail in the foam is no surprise.

Nice work on the foam. The boots are going to look STOMPINGLY SICK.
Inspirational to see that your taking the time put in even the smallest details.
I have a good feeling that this is going to be EPIC.

I do have some questions:
Are you "cutting", "sanding" or "burning" in those details on the boots?
What tool(s) are you using to do this?

I gotta know, where do you guys find this awesome foam - its showing up more and more as the days go on - it seems to be replacing the traditional Pep/fiberglass method all together, and it's amazing!

I looked locally and can't find anything, so product names/details, website would be awesome! it gives me such crazy ideas!

Correct me if I'm wrong. It looks like hes using foam floor mats. Same as I have used for the Foam Chief. Sorry I don't have the name(s) of the ones that I used handy. In Canada, I get mine from London Drugs. <--- (A drug store of all places!) It should be available at most home hardware stores.

I found the foam, literally Identicle in every way got mine at "Harbor Freight" (tool shop) it's "4pc Anti-fatigue foam floor mats" has interlocking sides, waterproof, lightweight easy to clean, indoor/outoor, and 1/2inch thickness, shock absorbing and anti-slip

$9.99, the 4 pack is a in store only item sadly (no direct shipping from Harbor Freight) but they have a lot of locations, plus you can find other companies versions that will work, just look for the 'woven mesh' back side (not the diamond grill plating type) and the puzzle like interlockign edges (some edge pieces are on them to give it a nice uniform shape without puzzle work, so look close)
I've seen multi-colored 'kid style' mats made of the same thing for sometimes cheaper (6 pack for $12.99) but figured I'd keep uniform in color.
what they fail to advertise as is "absolutely amazing costume armor and weapons can be made from this stuff"

Lol apparently it can be sanded too (tested by other 405th members) to help smooth out stuff - which means the pictures probably have sanded detail in them and not glue/built up parts as much, AMAZING!

DUDE! That is freaking awesome! How do you get such detail with the foam? Do you use thin pieces or cut it and push it through slightly from the back?

I use a dremel to cut out detail. It's very effective if you have a steady hand. Also very fast.

I was thinkin you could use the 1mm thick craft foam found at walmart for some 'stand off' pieces too if needed, for further detail. What it appears done here is actual cutting/shaving/sanding down of parts to make the smaller parts visable. Carving/sculpting - which wouldnt surprise me since the goggles are hand sculpted and look amazing, so the detail in the foam is no surprise.

Thanks, check em out painted :D

Nice work on the foam. The boots are going to look STOMPINGLY SICK.
Inspirational to see that your taking the time put in even the smallest details.
I have a good feeling that this is going to be EPIC.

I do have some questions:
Are you "cutting", "sanding" or "burning" in those details on the boots?
What tool(s) are you using to do this?

Haha, "stompingly"

I carve the details in with my dremel tool. I do sand some pieces to get the smoothed down a bit. But the dremel also works with this if you have a steady hand. I don't really burn details in. I tried that with a wood burner and i just kinda made the burned bit messy.

When sanding, you have to sand it then I use a sanding sponge over that to smooth it back out. Because when you sand it, it makes it look kinda "foamy".

So here is an update!

Got the gogs painted(still need to light them up. BUT I HAVE FIGURED OUT A GOOD METHOOD(I think).

Goggles3.jpg

Goggles4.jpg

Goggles5.jpg

Goggles6.jpg

Here is the boot all plasti dip sprayed. I hinged the ankle to give it some mobility. I reinforced the hinge pints with metal so it doesn't just rip the foam.

Boot7.jpg

Boot8.jpg

Boot9.jpg

The chest. This thing is giving me some grief, but I'm closing in on it. I think I have just about go it to where I want. Then the back. I am just going to do a Marcus back. Because I can't find A SINGLE reference of Bairds back anywhere. The one sorta blurry shot I saw of it, it looked a lot like marcus'. So if anyone has any good Baird references, drop them to me :D

Chest1.jpg

Chest2.jpg

Chest3.jpg

Chest4.jpg

Chest5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back