WHS Red vs. Blue build (Very Pic Heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow this has gOh and how are you getting away with making a rocket launcher in school? I know you said administration isn't big on militarizing the kids, but I'm surprised you got as far as you did. A kid brought in a water gun to school last year and got expelled for having something that looked like a weapon, and it was probably the dumbest looking water gun I'd ever seen.

Well, we won't work on the SPNKR during school hours. Now that it is actually looking like a rocket launcher we'll keep that as an after school project. The same is true for the resin because of the fumes. For the most part we'll only work on the Pepakura stages during school hours and maybe some of the paint as long as we don't use spray paint.

who will i be? :p

Well are still in need of a Doughnut and a Sister. :D

Is your team going to fiberglass the inside or Rondo the inside?

At this point we will probably be doing rondo on most pieces because of time restraints. But, I think we may still use fiberglass for the chest because it needs a little extra strength. Since you've been wearing yours which pieces seem to take the most abuse?

At this point we will probably be doing rondo on most pieces because of time restraints. But, I think we may still use fiberglass for the chest because it needs a little extra strength. Since you've been wearing yours which pieces seem to take the most abuse?

Knee caps
Inner thighs
On the torso, the inner wells where your arms come out and the bottom of the spine protector area.
the Biceps (the front muscle part and the band that holds it in place)
Bottom of the boot covers (high wear and tear from walking)

So far those are the areas that I noticed as weak spots. 3 layers is what I used. A 4th layer would be enough to solve the problem areas.

You should be ok with Rondo on the rest.

Keep going guys! Your posts are becoming quite inspirational!
:)

Wow this has got to be THE coolest thing any teacher has done with their students. Where were you when I wanted an art teacher to do something like this with me!? You guys are making great progress, everything looks beautiful so far, and I really can't wait to see this project completed. Keep up the progress, cuz I'm lovin it.

Oh and how are you getting away with making a rocket launcher in school? I know you said administration isn't big on militarizing the kids, but I'm surprised you got as far as you did. A kid brought in a water gun to school last year and got expelled for having something that looked like a weapon, and it was probably the dumbest looking water gun I'd ever seen.

That is exactly the info I needed. Thanks a ton Longshot, and thank you even more for the kind words. It means a lot inspire veterans like yourself. The more a look over your build the more i'm liking the LED placement. I'f you don't mind I may use it as a guide for our suits.

who will i be? :p

The speed at which your team is progressing is very impressive. I wish that mine went that fast.

As for the resin (my 2 cents). I mixed up 2 ounce at a time (by weight) and applied the hardener as per the directions. It let me work for about min before it started to gel up. More than enough time to brush those 2 ounce of resin on. I found that I was not fast enough to do more than 2 ounces at a time.

Is your team going to fiberglass the inside or Rondo the inside?

Super Cheers guys/gals!

Knee caps
Inner thighs
On the torso, the inner wells where your arms come out and the bottom of the spine protector area.
the Biceps (the front muscle part and the band that holds it in place)
Bottom of the boot covers (high wear and tear from walking)

So far those are the areas that I noticed as weak spots. 3 layers is what I used. A 4th layer would be enough to solve the problem areas.

You should be ok with Rondo on the rest.

Keep going guys! Your posts are becoming quite inspirational!
:)

When I rondo I use DryWall Mesh tape to reinforce it, since it has a sticky side you can cut it then place it where you wan;t it. Then pour the rondo over it, but also the tape will stop sticking once the rondo is over it so you can't hold it upside down, then the tape will fall out.

Also, when you're resining do you have fans going and windows open?

I really wish I woulda had something like this to do in High School or even college. College cuts out any armor building time for me unless I got an apartment!

These students are so lucky to have you as a teacher!

I really wish I woulda had something like this to do in High School or even college. College cuts out any armor building time for me unless I got an apartment!

These students are so lucky to have you as a teacher!

Mac,
Do you have an art department at your college? If so you should find out from the office professional what the open building hours are. You may be able to get some time in one of the studio rooms to work. While I was in school we had several non art majors who would come by at night to use the building for their projects.

Mac,
Do you have an art department at your college? If so you should find out from the office professional what the open building hours are. You may be able to get some time in one of the studio rooms to work. While I was in school we had several non art majors who would come by at night to use the building for their projects.

I believe we do. I'd have to see if I'd be allowed to do that work in there. We have shops here for engineering that I could look into but I don't know if they would want me doing this kinda work in it.

For now, I'm working on it at home. It'd be nice to work at school though.
If you are curious to see where I'm at I post it as a blog on here.

Thank you!

Mac,
Hope you find a place to work. Your MK VI is coming along really well. I'm really enjoying the paint work, especially the weathering. It has a really unique worn look that is different from most techniques.

Update for today:

We began to rondo pieces today. The helmet is completed, half the chest is done, one thigh and the front of one boot have all been done today. The chest will take some time to dry. Had to play a bit with the resin, bondo, and hardener mix before we found the right ratios. The chest ended up not having as much hardener as it needed so it will need some extra time. Everything else worked out fine.

Here are the pics.
BRB_1846.jpg

BRB_1841.jpg

BRB_1842.jpg

You can see here how gray the rondo in the chest apears. It was setting up when I left but still tacky soft. We'll see how it looks tomorrow.
BRB_1850.jpg

BRB_1856.jpg

Mac,
Hope you find a place to work. Your MK VI is coming along really well. I'm really enjoying the paint work, especially the weathering. It has a really unique worn look that is different from most techniques.

Update for today:

We began to rondo pieces today. The helmet is completed, half the chest is done, one thigh and the front of one boot have all been done today. The chest will take some time to dry. Had to play a bit with the resin, bondo, and hardener mix before we found the right ratios. The chest ended up not having as much hardener as it needed so it will need some extra time. Everything else worked out fine.

Here are the pics.
BRB_1846.jpg

BRB_1841.jpg

BRB_1842.jpg

You can see here how gray the rondo in the chest apears. It was setting up when I left but still tacky soft. We'll see how it looks tomorrow.
BRB_1850.jpg

BRB_1856.jpg
i think i'll start makin my Doughnut armor :p

I'm glad your inspired by the work. That means a lot to the guys. We be looking forward to seeing how your build goes.

Thanks :) yeah my helemt it about half way done. I cant put any pics up yet though. I lost my cord to my camera lol. Soon though. BTW the stuff is looking amazing. Keep up the good work guys

Just want to say that I have been watching this thread with great interest since the beginning, and it's really great to see you doing this with your students. It's such a useful thing to teach them that with enough hard work, determination, and perseverance, they can literally make anything they want, built from scratch by themselves. THAT is very powerful knowledge, and is also one of the most rewarding things you can do. There's nothing quite like looking at something you made with your own 2 hands that simply didn't exist before you undertook that project.

Keep up the great work, the armor is looking excellent already. We need more teachers like you! :)

Learn from my mistakes, yesterday I broke part of my bicep piece. I then went back and fiberglassed all these portions again. But mainly the first 2 in the front. If the back one is weak then it is a good idea to do that one too.

Basically be sure to reinforce these places shown in the diagram below:

Learn from my mistakes, yesterday I broke part of my bicep piece. I then went back and fiberglassed all these portions again. But mainly the first 2 in the front. If the back one is weak then it is a good idea to do that one too.

Basically be sure to reinforce these places shown in the diagram below:

I anticipated the same probem but we have a plan in mind. We'll be seperating the bicep into two pieces and adding in some strong elastic that will not only take the majority of the preassure off those area but also hold the the whole shoulder section in place.

Just want to say that I have been watching this thread with great interest since the beginning, and it's really great to see you doing this with your students. It's such a useful thing to teach them that with enough hard work, determination, and perseverance, they can literally make anything they want, built from scratch by themselves. THAT is very powerful knowledge, and is also one of the most rewarding things you can do. There's nothing quite like looking at something you made with your own 2 hands that simply didn't exist before you undertook that project.

Keep up the great work, the armor is looking excellent already. We need more teachers like you! :)

Thanks Spitfire,
It can be a challenge to really connect with what interests teenagers now a days. (man I sound old) We have become such an ADHD society that our kids interests change so fast it is nearly impossible to hold their attention. But I enjoy the challenge and as long as I still do I will keep finding new ways to do things differently.

No real updates today. Yesterday was our last day so we won't really be back at it until next week. Hopefully by then the chest will have completely cured. Right now it is a bit flimsy and may need to be remade completely.

Unfortunately the only update for today is not good news.

I got back to the school and checked on the front of the chest piece. As I feared it didn't cure over the weekend. In fact the moisture from the rondo soaked into the card stock and ruined the piece. I'll have to pep out a new chestpiec over the next day or two.

Needless to say I got a bit frustrated with that. I did get a bit more rondo work done on a few pieces and got a layer of bondo on the helmet. Now I have to wait until I get more bondo and resin before we can progress any further.

I left the camera at the house so no pictures but I'll edit tomorrow when I do get a few taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back