WHS Red vs. Blue build (Very Pic Heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately the only update for today is not good news.

I got back to the school and checked on the front of the chest piece. As I feared it didn't cure over the weekend. In fact the moisture from the rondo soaked into the card stock and ruined the piece. I'll have to pep out a new chestpiec over the next day or two.

Needless to say I got a bit frustrated with that. I did get a bit more rondo work done on a few pieces and got a layer of bondo on the helmet. Now I have to wait until I get more bondo and resin before we can progress any further.

I left the camera at the house so no pictures but I'll edit tomorrow when I do get a few taken.
man thats sucks.

Unfortunately the only update for today is not good news.

I got back to the school and checked on the front of the chest piece. As I feared it didn't cure over the weekend. In fact the moisture from the rondo soaked into the card stock and ruined the piece. I'll have to pep out a new chestpiec over the next day or two.

Needless to say I got a bit frustrated with that. I did get a bit more rondo work done on a few pieces and got a layer of bondo on the helmet. Now I have to wait until I get more bondo and resin before we can progress any further.

I left the camera at the house so no pictures but I'll edit tomorrow when I do get a few taken.

You need to try to put more hardener in it. Even if it is too much hardener, it just means it'll cure way faster. Sometimes a little too fast. ;)

You need to try to put more hardener in it. Even if it is too much hardener, it just means it'll cure way faster. Sometimes a little too fast. ;)

Yep, we got a little rushed at the last minute when we were working on the chest. I didn't watch the color before I started pooring in the rondo. By the time I realized how gray it was, there was no way to fix it. Oh well, crap happens.

Next time I won't try to rondo the entire thing at once. We'll work in smaller areas and paint the rondo in rather than roto casting it in.

Yep, we got a little rushed at the last minute when we were working on the chest. I didn't watch the color before I started pooring in the rondo. By the time I realized how gray it was, there was no way to fix it. Oh well, crap happens.

Next time I won't try to rondo the entire thing at once. We'll work in smaller areas and paint the rondo in rather than roto casting it in.

Sometimes it can be fixed by added an extensive amount of hardener to a layer that will go on top of it. So that it will sort of mix together with the first coat.

looks like a solid build team. Your class has got to be excited to be doing all this. I look forward to seeing this complete

looks like a solid build team. Your class has got to be excited to be doing all this. I look forward to seeing this complete

Thanks Ben,
and an extra thanks to you because your videos have been a HUGE help. Although aparently I should have watched them again before working on that chest piece. :)

Progress may be a bit slow going over the summer, but thanks for watching the thread.

Don't bring yourself down so much, I know this sounds cliche, but everyone makes mistakes. Now you know what to do. And plus, your doing something with these children that they may remember for the rest of their life's.

Don't bring yourself down so much, I know this sounds cliche, but everyone makes mistakes. Now you know what to do. And plus, your doing something with these children that they may remember for the rest of their life's.

Thanks for the encouragement. I don't let things get to me for long. The kids can get discouraged at times but that's where I take the lead and keep moving forward. I'm pepping out the new chest as we speak. And like you said lesson learned, now I just have to avoid the same mistakes.

It's not often I find a thread I actually read from beginning to end, but this one made the cut. I think it's really great what you are allowing your students to do. I hated every bit of the mandatory art classes in high school but was very involved with welding and Ag. Mechanics.

I finished up my bachelors in '09 and managed to convince my adviser to barter with the university to get me out of humanities classes because I was going to be pursuing grad. school. I'm just starting a PhD and I started working on all of this six months ago. I really wish I had been exposed to this type of artwork previously. It wouldn't have changed my career path but it would have made me appreciate the fine arts a little more.

Tell your kids to keep up the good work and I expect whomever is making the grif costume to also make a grifball and grav hammer. Without those, it's just not complete.

......Tell your kids to keep up the good work and I expect whomever is making the grif costume to also make a grifball and grav hammer. Without those, it's just not complete.

Hmm... Griff ball and Grav Hammer. You know that makes perfect sense. Thanks man, that just got added to the to-do list. Thanks for the encouragement. Hope we can make your visits to the thread worth it.

Got some good work done today. The school is closing at 4pm every day now so I don't get to work on things as much as I'd like but with a few of the students showing up to help we managed to get some more rondo work done and a good bit of bondo and sanding done on the helmet.

On the subject of Rondo, I have found my new favorite ingredient. If you haven't found it yet you HAVE to try out Bondglass. It is a Bondo brand product. Its basically bondo but it has glass fibers mixed in. It isn't that good for the outside shaping but it is FANTASTIC for rondo. This stuff is easily as strong as fiberglass but goes on as easy as rondo. I sound like a comercial now but really this stuff is great. Basically it is the best of both worlds. I'll be going over the few pieces we did with regular rondo and adding in this new layer.

On to the pictures.

Rondo006.jpg

Rondo007.jpg

Rondo005.jpg

Rondo004.jpg

The darker green color is due to the bondo glass. Here you can see Tyler mixing it up. The stuff is just as easy to work with as the normal bondo.
Rondo001.jpg

One layer done, primer added and now laying a new layer to sand tomorrow.
Rondo003.jpg

Rondo002.jpg

Your helmet looks great! It'll probably all look better than mine!

Off hand do you know what size thighs and shins you will be using?

Your helmet looks great! It'll probably all look better than mine!

Off hand do you know what size thighs and shins you will be using?

Thanks man, there is still a ways to go on the helmet. This is where the perfectionist in me might cause some problems. :)

As to the sizes. Our first armor is built to my size which is 6 foot 1 inch. That works out to 73 inches or about 180cm.

I scaled the thighs to the following
Height: 381 mm
Width: 230 mm
Depth: 216 mm
A couple of small issue with the scale for my legs. The overall diameter is just barely big enough but the height puts the rear of the thigh right in my butt cheek. Not that comfortable as you can image. So I'll make a few small adjustments there since I can't make it smaller without it being too narrow.
DSC_0030-edit.jpg

I scaled the shins to the following:
Height: 380 mm
Width: 225 mm
Depth: 165 mm
Again there is one small issue with this. They are almost perfectly proportioned except that my foot BARELY squeeze through the ankle opening because my heel hits right at the narrowest point by the ankle. Not sure yet how I'll fix this.
DSC_0003-edit.jpg

Those both look really good! I probably will use the same dimensions for the thighs but something slightly bigger for the shins. What you can try doing after you get the shins rondoed is to section the bottom heel portion just to be able to put it on, maybe even hinge it!

Those both look really good! I probably will use the same dimensions for the thighs but something slightly bigger for the shins. What you can try doing after you get the shins rondoed is to section the bottom heel portion just to be able to put it on, maybe even hinge it!

You know sectioning it is a good idea, I hadn't thought about that. Thanks a ton. I had thought about sanding the inside down just a bit and patching the outside with bondo if needed but I'm thinking your idea is better.

On a side note: Some times I think my computer likes to screw with me and not update the "new post" results everytime I check back. LOL sorry for jumping the gun on the PM.

That is exactly the info I needed. Thanks a ton Longshot, and thank you even more for the kind words. It means a lot inspire veterans like yourself. The more a look over your build the more i'm liking the LED placement. I'f you don't mind I may use it as a guide for our suits.

Thanks for asking. You most certainly can.
Your teams build would be the 4th build that I know of, LED styled after mine.

I would be flattered to see more spartans lit up like mine. I think I have started a trend. LOVE IT! :)

Cheers to you and your team!

You know sectioning it is a good idea, I hadn't thought about that. Thanks a ton. I had thought about sanding the inside down just a bit and patching the outside with bondo if needed but I'm thinking your idea is better.

On a side note: Some times I think my computer likes to screw with me and not update the "new post" results everytime I check back. LOL sorry for jumping the gun on the PM.

For mine... I just left the shin as one whole piece. Instead I would put the shin on backwards and then spin it around till it was facing correctly. It was simpler and easier to get my heel through the bottom. Also that made it way simpler to deal with the LED at the back of the shin. (ie. no hinge in the way of the led panel.)

For mine... I just left the shin as one whole piece. Instead I would put the shin on backwards and then spin it around till it was facing correctly. It was simpler and easier to get my heel through the bottom. Also that made it way simpler to deal with the LED at the back of the shin. (ie. no hinge in the way of the led panel.)

You know, sometimes the simplest solutions just evade me. LOL Probably because I over think things at times.

Thanks for the go ahead on the LEDs. If you don't mind I may PM you when we reach that stage for a little guidance. It will be my first work with LED installation.

Side note: Every time I see you update with new pictures of you at events or just around town I laugh first and then get jealous I can't do the same yet and finally I get really motivated to work harder. Thanks for the constant inspiration man.

Yea, leaving it as one piece is definitely easier. Just thought I'd list the other options for sake of argument. It definitely is better having it as one piece because then there is less technical stuff going into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back