WHS Red vs. Blue build (Very Pic Heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, this is great. I'm a high school student and there isn't any teacher as nearly as cool as you.
But there is one that invites us to paintball- BACK ON TRACK!

Good job to those students, in a small lapse of time you've done more than I have in 8 months. Your armor is nearly complete, and I'm just resining the helmet xD
To be honest, it looks great, the loss of the chest piece is a bummer, but this is going to be awesome.
Kudos to you for proposing such an innovative class; MJOLNIR armor building...
And I have a question: Is it graded? :p

Lots of cookies to you for making this possible. What a great way to get art students doing something different for a change, whether it's an in-class project or not. I'm an art student myself, and I've had my fair share of "paint/draw/sculpt this main idea to the best of your abilities" when I lacked motivation (though, I love doing them all). Creating something physical and wearable that I could take home would have been an awesome break from the norm.

I bet these kids love you to death! Did you create any new Halo and/or Red vs Blue fans?

Bondglass.....Nice I was wondering how that would work in rondo. Thanks for the info.
As for the project sorry to hear about the set back. But as I was always told what doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger.
Hows that translate, Well you're group after already have done it once can re-make the part better and faster. Plus now they will look at the color of there bondo/rondo so as not to make the same mistake again. They may even learn to tell just how fast it will cure just by the color.

But of course this build IS coming along nicely, and I look forward to seeing you're updates. Well till you're next update, take care and have fun building. :D

I had an art teacher like you in high school. It was an advanced class and we had to create a suit of armor and weapon to go along with it. Any genre of armor and any material. We had to document the build process. It was the first time I ever worked with sintra. A full set of lorica segmentata with a sliced gladius and body shield.

My helmet is off to you, my friend.

...I bet these kids love you to death! Did you create any new Halo and/or Red vs Blue fans?

Yep, we did get one or two new fans. Although they had to watch on their own time. The language is just a bit beyond anything I can get away with at school even after hours. :)

Bondglass.....Nice I was wondering how that would work in rondo....

Thanks for compliments Thorn. And after letting the bondglass cure overnight I can tell you that is VERY strong indeed. The only downside I can see so far is that it takes a little more bondglass/Rondo to cover each piece than it does for the standard Rondo mix. My solution is to only use it on the pieces that will take the most punishment or are flimsy by nature like the codpiece.

...My helmet is off to you, my friend.

Thanks Jason,
I'm glad to read an example of another art teacher pushing the envelope. I know there are many of us out there in every subject just dieing to find new ways to reach the kids.

This is SUPER COOL my friend. It is really nice to see a group of kids working together for a common goal...especially when it isn't even required. That shows they are really into it and want to do a great job. It would be cool if some of the students had accounts on the 405th too, they could chime in on the build, ask questions, give and receive feedback,etc. Just a thought. I really do look forward to seeing more progress on the builds. And remember, little things like the stuff you went through with your builds, most of us have experienced too. So if you get stuck, please continue to ask away. I know we will be happy to help, as you have already seen. Keep up the great work.:)

Just curious. What type of glue do you guys use? I'm kinda sick of burning my hand with hot glue that dries before I get the piece into the right place:p

When I using the oven, I always wear a pair of ove gloves. You have the manual dexterity of a full grip glove and don't burn yourself. When it comes to hot glue, I have a pair of nomex flight gloves that have leather fingers. I can smooth it while it is still hot and it doesn't hurt the leather. It might get crusty around the sides of the leather (on the actual cloth), but nothing that some careful work with a pair of scissors or exacto knife can't fix (please take the glove off first, though).

Just curious. What type of glue do you guys use? I'm kinda sick of burning my hand with hot glue that dries before I get the piece into the right place:p

We use hot glue as well. Ditto to what Jason said. I use a pair of mechanics gloves with leather fingers. If you really don't want to use hot glue the next best option (some would say better option) is super glue. Gorilla glue has a good line of super glues that work well.

...It would be cool if some of the students had accounts on the 405th too, they could chime in on the build, ask questions, give and receive feedback,etc. Just a thought. I really do look forward to seeing more progress on the builds. And remember, little things like the stuff you went through with your builds, most of us have experienced too. So if you get stuck, please continue to ask away. I know we will be happy to help, as you have already seen. Keep up the great work.:)

I have encouraged them to join the community for the same reasons Shore. I believe we have at least one here so far but that we may get more once the school year picks back up in Sep. The summer changes priorities for a lot of the kids. Thanks for the support and I will certianly ask when I need the help. I like figuring things out for myself but sometimes I just have to swallow my pride and ask. That is even more important when I remember I have several others counting on me to get it right.

To all the commmunity memebers who have offered support, advice, and help, I offer a huge thanks and hope the kids and myself can do you justice. Now, back to work on the suit. :)

A low heat glue gun will help quite a bit. You can get them at Wal-Mart for a few dollars. Hope this helps.

I use general purpose elmers glue sparingly. With a small amount on the tab it dries relatively quickly.

You know, sometimes the simplest solutions just evade me. LOL Probably because I over think things at times.

Thanks for the go ahead on the LEDs. If you don't mind I may PM you when we reach that stage for a little guidance. It will be my first work with LED installation.

Side note: Every time I see you update with new pictures of you at events or just around town I laugh first and then get jealous I can't do the same yet and finally I get really motivated to work harder. Thanks for the constant inspiration man.

Feel free to PM me.

This communitiy had helped to keep me inspired. Soo... naturally I want to return the favor! I love inspiring and motivating.

Eventually you will be able do what I do that's the payoff at the end of the build. Can't wait to see your project finished.

Keep up the hard work but have fun doing it to!

To all the commmunity memebers who have offered support, advice, and help, I offer a huge thanks and hope the kids and myself can do you justice. Now, back to work on the suit. :)

You have an excellent spirit my friend! Kudo's for sharing your thanks and honesty!

Cheers!

Time for the update.

I was flying solo today so not a big update but here it is.

I did a lot of work sanding and bondoing the helmet.

Here it is after the second round of sanding:
Bondo005.jpg

Bondo004.jpg

layer of primer so I can see the imperfections:
Bondo010.jpg

Bondo009.jpg

A little sanding and one more thin layer of bondo to seal up the paper and help limit the fuzz from sanding through the paper. I'll do the final sanding tomorrow. That will leave the visor, paint, and padding. Can't believe I'll have a wearable piece soon. :)
Rondo002-1.jpg

Rondo003-1.jpg

It doesn't show up in these pictures but there is some pretty bad warping right at the chin. If you look close you'll see the helmet is sitting at an angle. I'm trying to build up that area with layers of bondo. Hopefully I can repair the warping.

Starvin, the helmet is looking great! I am actually about to finish building my rouge helmet when i get off work today. I hope to be able to put up pictures soon showing some of the work. I will see if i can find any of the bondglass stuff at Home Depot or Lowes. Your stuff is looking amazing keep up the good work man. :)

Btw please tell me you have someone suitable for tucker. lol He has to have an energy sword too... lol ok later for now.

Sometimes you can put a fairly thick coat of primer over the 'fuzzed' paper areas and sand it when the paint is dry and it will help that problem. You'll start seeing it again if you sand all the way through that primer though.

I had paper 'fuzzing' on the top recon detail piece and all I did to fix it was sand it with 150 grit and spray a lot of primer on it, then I sanded it again after dry but not all the way through the primer. It left the surface smooth and without the 'fuzzing'.

Starvin, the helmet is looking great! I am actually about to finish building my rouge helmet when i get off work today. I hope to be able to put up pictures soon showing some of the work. I will see if i can find any of the bondglass stuff at Home Depot or Lowes. Your stuff is looking amazing keep up the good work man. :)

Btw please tell me you have someone suitable for tucker. lol He has to have an energy sword too... lol ok later for now.

I'll be lookin for updates on the Rogue helmet. Good luck. And yes we do have a good Tucker. We're working on something for the energy sword.

Sometimes you can put a fairly thick coat of primer over the 'fuzzed' paper areas and sand it when the paint is dry and it will help that problem. You'll start seeing it again if you sand all the way through that primer though.

I had paper 'fuzzing' on the top recon detail piece and all I did to fix it was sand it with 150 grit and spray a lot of primer on it, then I sanded it again after dry but not all the way through the primer. It left the surface smooth and without the 'fuzzing'.

Great minds think alike Mac. I did the last major bondo and sanding today. I still just a few places to spot putty but after that and a once over with 220 grit sand paper the helmet will be ready to paint. Here are the results of todays sanding:
Bondo012.jpg

Bondo013.jpg

We did get a lot of rondo done today as well. But I got so wrapped up in sanding that I forgot to take pictures. OOPS!
We only have one forearm, the shoulders, and the new chest left to rondo. We are moving along at a nice pace. The bondo and sanding on these pieces will be time consuming but we have 4 people working so it should go smoothly.

Edit: Just got a gold visor this afternoon. I'll take some shots the fitting tomorrow. :)

I wanna be in that art class!!! That would be EPIC making Halo armor in school! Hope it goes well... I'm DONE with school! We had a talent show and BOOM summer! XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back