WHS Red vs. Blue build (Very Pic Heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, that helmet looks really nice, especially for a first one. I truly envy you!

Great great work, and I know people have said this before but I bet your students love you!

Keep it up dude!

Wow, that helmet looks really nice, especially for a first one. I truly envy you!

Great great work, and I know people have said this before but I bet your students love you!

Keep it up dude!

Thanks Darkrider. I'm especially fond of the Helmet because it is not just the first piece to get this far but it's also the only piece that is all my work. I've been using it to make sure I have all the techniques down before teaching the others. It is my first helmet but keep in mind I've been sculpting since I could pick up playdo. :) So 20+ years of experience does help. LOL And on that note I'm really impressed with your build so far too. Seems like we all draw inspiration from each other more than we know. Keep it up man.

Oh, and yeah they do love me. At least for now, LOL.

Not a lot to update today. The camera batteries died on me so unfortunatley no pictures. But, we did get all the pieces hardened with rondo. The exception being the chest. That will come a little later.

I trimmed up the visor and have it fitted. Filled the gaps with some bondo and I'm just waiting for that to dry before I begin the paint job.

I won't be able to get to the school next week so I'll be working on finishing the Pepakura on the new chest piece and a side project for myself. Once the chest is completed I'll move on to trying out Carpathiavh99's sliced M6.

So I'll post some updates as those projects progress next week.

Edit: Just realized this was a double post. Sorry about that guys.

Grav hammers ALWAYS make sense. as soon as the weather over here makes its mind up i will be doing plenty more of mine :p

We've had a few weather issues here too. Hope yours cooperates and good luck on the build man.

Small update today. I spent most of the day writing curriculum for next year.....yay!(read LOTS of sarcasm in that) So I didn't get as much done as I would like but something is better than nothing.

The Chest:
All the scoring is done on the pattern and I pepped out about half of it. I'm working in a little different order than last time. I've decided to work from the inside out and top to bottom rather than simply front to back. That has definitely helped the stability and warping issues of the last try.

I do want to reinforce these areas some how. They tended to tear on the last chest. I'll figure that out later but any ideas are welcome.
HaloBuild_0287-edit.jpg

HaloBuild_0284.jpg

Ignore the UFC post fight in the background. I'm clearing out my DVR list to make room for new seasons of SYFY goodness. :)
HaloBuild_0285.jpg

Over all I can definitely see improvement from the last effort. Everything is much cleaner and so far no significant warping has come up.

Carpathia's Sliced Magnum:
I drew out all the pieces for Carpathia's M6 templates. This will be a lot easier to build in the long run but man that is a lot of pieces to trace over and over. Hope you can see the pieces.
HaloBuild_0293.jpg

That torso pep is really clean. And on the magnum templates...can you say, hand cramp?! Keep up the great work!

Small update today but its a nice landmark so I had to share.

I got the visor completely fit and the gaps filled. With the first coat of primer on it looks great.

Bondo015.jpg

Heres a crappy pic of it on. I'll replace this when I can get someone to use the better camera.
Bondo018.jpg

The chest is 99% pepped out. I'm getting a bit burnt out on pepakura right now so its taking longer than expected. But it should be done tonight and then its on to the sliced M6. And on that subject, I think I figured out how to install the guts from a spring powered airsoft pistol. I won't be able to install them in the paper version because it won't hold up to the stress. But if I cast it in the right materials I can install them then. No promises but it looks good at this point.

Lookin awesome mate! Keep it up!

Thanks man, I have to get movin, your almost finished and I'm far from done. :) But good news is I got the chest built. I'll take it to school on Monday and start the hardening.

chest2002.jpg

I'll start on the sliced M6 tomorrow and hopefully get a lot of sanding done next week.

Keep up the great work starvin. Im loving it. Ill be posting pics of my helmet soon. (stupid computer) Good luck on the gun. I think the guts from a spring airsoft pistol is a great idea, i might use that when i get around to making a pistol if its ok with you. :-D

OH OH OH. and do you guys have a doc?? Just curious :-D

I do want to reinforce these areas some how. They tended to tear on the last chest. I'll figure that out later but any ideas are welcome.
HaloBuild_0287-edit.jpg

on mine i had a similar issue, i put a layer of duct tape over the inside with a layer of masking tape over that so the fiberglass has something it can properly soak into and key to it. it seems to work so far...

HaloBuild_0287-edit.jpg

Popsicle sticks, or something similar, should work fine to reinforce that area. I used hobby-grade plywood if I needed reinforcements on my build.

Keep up the great work. :)

wow, you sir are one of the Greats. I can only say that if every teacher was as dedicated, original, and in-tune with their students as yourself, we (as a culture) would have MJOLNIR armor for all of our forces (now), and more importantly - We wouldnt have to f*ng use them.. so yeah, you rule; Mrs. Brown (and every other bullsh*t art/tech/etc teacher that ruined my & and or any other kids projects/hopes/or dreams): eat a d*ck, this guy is the real deal.. Also, we (the forward operators) would like to sponsor your class project, i am ordering a raid on supply post haste for buckles, snaps, webbing, MOLE parts, canvas bags, etc etc. for use down the road, will put the call to second team as well so we can mail it to you when we meet back up w them around the 10th..

Keep up the great work!

Jaeson

(all hail Church!!)

Keep up the great work starvin. Im loving it. Ill be posting pics of my helmet soon. (stupid computer) Good luck on the gun. I think the guts from a spring airsoft pistol is a great idea, i might use that when i get around to making a pistol if its ok with you. :-D

OH OH OH. and do you guys have a doc?? Just curious :-D

Thanks man, feel free to work with the airsoft guts. I know I'm not the first to think of it so I couldn't get mad if I wanted to. :) And yes we do have Doc.

Popsicle sticks, or something similar, should work fine to reinforce that area. I used hobby-grade plywood if I needed reinforcements on my build.

Keep up the great work. :)

Thanks Spitfire, I do have some craft wood I can use there. Just got a nice stash of it donated this week.

... Also, we (the forward operators) would like to sponsor your class project, i am ordering a raid on supply post haste for buckles, snaps, webbing, MOLE parts, canvas bags, etc etc. for use down the road, will put the call to second team as well so we can mail it to you when we meet back up w them around the 10th..

Keep up the great work!

Jaeson

(all hail Church!!)

Thanks Jaeson, but ease up on the other art teachers. They may not always get it right but I know their intentions are good.

Oh and I'll be awaiting your operational SitRep. God Speed soldier. :)

Thanks to the others who have posted their support. It is appreciated more than you know. And on a high note as a thank you here is an update!

Just finished Carpathia's sliced M6 goodness. All credit goes to his amazing skills, this is a beautifully simple model to build. I will put in all the round pieces with slices of dowel rod once I get back to the school on Monday. Then it goes into the pipeline for bondo and sanding. Hope you guys like it.

M6Sliced.jpg

You're project on whole Looking great. The Mag. is coming along nicely and should look great when finished. I find myself looking forward to you're next up date.

You're project on whole Looking great. The Mag. is coming along nicely and should look great when finished. I find myself looking forward to you're next up date.

I've always heard people say this and I thought for a long time they were talking about the magazine and I was like "Why is everyone only talking about the magazine, there is only a small part shown in the picture!" I just realized mag was short for magnum, wow.

Anyways great work on the sliced M6, looks really nice, I don't see any imperfections at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back