Tutorial: Scratchbuilt cardboard weapons for noobs

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK I will start with the mac 10. Also 2 things. Can you make a working trigger with this method, if so how?

I'm going to take it that this isn't a troll, and that you are just young. A working trigger? It's a cardboard prop, what were you expecting it to fire?
If you simply mean a moving trigger, you would have had to design it into the core. You'd need a slot and retaining hole for a spring, then a pin through the trigger and the core as a pivot point.
If you mean as a switch for some LEDs or similar, then you could use a push to make switch, or a micro-switch buried in the grip. Again this would have to be designed in before you build the core.

And if I was to want to make a muzzle (i think there a bit better then silencer's) How exactly would I do that?

Go back and read the section on materials and it will tell you that I use plastic pipe for barrels, scopes and whatnot.

I'm going to take it that this isn't a troll, and that you are just young. A working trigger? It's a cardboard prop, what were you expecting it to fire?
If you simply mean a moving trigger, you would have had to design it into the core. You'd need a slot and retaining hole for a spring, then a pin through the trigger and the core as a pivot point.
If you mean as a switch for some LEDs or similar, then you could use a push to make switch, or a micro-switch buried in the grip. Again this would have to be designed in before you build the core.

Go back and read the section on materials and it will tell you that I use plastic pipe for barrels, scopes and whatnot.

I would never troll this fourm! Just a bit curious is all. And thanks I didn't see that part in the materials.

Dude I am getting so much out of this!!! Thank you! Can't wait to see more :D

Also!

Would hot glue (I believe Hot melt? in UK) work UNTIL you glued the second side of the core on?

Did you change your blade for a fresh one? Cool, then let's continue.

We now have our weapon with two sets of ladder frames on either side. We next need to clad them ready for future operations.
I'm using cereal pack / frozen food carton card for this. That's because it's flexible enough to take up any minor differences in the struts but strong enough that once the glue sets hard it will be super strong.

Because I cut all the facet braces the same except for the bottoms, we just need to cut strips of the same width and glue them in. Then the bottom sections can be cut using trial and error. I try to work methodically so I started at the front and worked towards the back and the bottom. If the strips are too short just trim them to halfway across the nearest brace.

tut44.jpg

If there are small pieces that need adding to the ends etc, just cut them from mountbaord and glue them in after the strip is in place.

tut45.jpg

Continue like this until the entire sides are covered.

tut46.jpg

Next we will tackle adding the front grip and the three lower vents.

Question: Would it be possible to do the outer sides of the core of the weapon in foam board? It seems stronger than most cardboard I'd get my hands on and it's not that expensive.
Secondly! I know I'm getting ahead of the tutorial, but what do you do to clean up the edges of the cardboard on the finished product?
Thx again! This is a beautiful tutorial.

Question: Would it be possible to do the outer sides of the core of the weapon in foam board? It seems stronger than most cardboard I'd get my hands on and it's not that expensive.
You could use wharever material you like really, just remeber that you would have to alter the internal bracing sizes to allow for the extra thickness.

Secondly! I know I'm getting ahead of the tutorial, but what do you do to clean up the edges of the cardboard on the finished product?

Yes, you are getting ahead of yourself ....

He's saying he would like a trigger that you 'pull' instead of a still one. By no means did he troll, he's just curious on how to make variants to the awesome guide in this thread.

He's saying he would like a trigger that you 'pull' instead of a still one. By no means did he troll, he's just curious on how to make variants to the awesome guide in this thread.

Exactly I would never want to troll this fourm. I praise this fourm if anything. Also I think I found a way to make a working trigger using this fabulous method.

... WELL? Go on!

Well my idea is if you build this but in the trigger make a small rectangle room like thing to put a very small spring (Spring attatched to piece of cardboard on one side and the other on the trigger of course) but it needs to be a tight squeeze to make it not flop around though.

What would the trigger rotate/pull on? (Not trying to put you down it's just nothing's jumping to mind and I'm curious)

Well pretty much I was jsut going for a pull back like effect :p But I can't really answer that one for you. If I make this when I do a few of these Im going to try using an old nerf pistol I have and just make archways that overlap the parts so that way I can still have some support made from cardboard :D

For the record, this tutorial is of too high quality to be highjacked xD (my apologies considering I contributed to the near highjack) I predict everything goes back on track by the next update :p

Technically were not hijacking in a way :D Were kinda brain storming. But ya I think a simple nerf gun or like octorock said some integrated thing in the core could be very cool. I think the laser tag would work better though now that I thin kabout it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back