Rondo or Bondo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, rondo is pretty strong, especially in thicker layers, but a thin layer will just split when you use it.

Personally, I hate working with fiberglass, because it bubbles up in corners, and leaves the piece screwed. So, I'm gonna put up with the weight, and use a rondo mix to start with, and fill the corners. Then, I'm gonna run a single layer of glass over it. It'll be a lot heavier, and it won't be much stronger, but it'll be a lot faster, because I don't spend forever trying to get glass to lay in a corner.

When I need a lot of strength, I lay a layer of rondo, then I use a thinner rondo with the glass cloth, giving me a really heavy but completely solid part. The backs of my ODST thighs were done this way last year. The rest of the armor, though, survived just fine with just 1 layer of fiberglass. (Except the Sean Bradley kneeguards, which I had held in by rivets through rondo-reinforced plastic (and the layers have started to separate) and knocked each other off the knee. That was my mistake)

My gauntlets were completely Rondo, and, while I didn't actually use them, on account of they were too small, they were really heavy and really really strong, plus they took less time to reinforce than any of the 3 or 4 chest plates I made. I mean, I left them on my closet floor when I put the rest of my armor in a container, and put the container on top of them, and that's like 20 pounds of armor sitting on 'em, with a slit cut down them length-wise, and they're perfectly fine. I've thrown them full-force into the ground, and the paint comes off, but they remain intact.

Thick rondo is heavy but strong. Still, wouldn't suggest it for big pieces.

Also i have noticed that if the place you are going to be wearing this costume around in is cold, Rondo is probably not the best option. When Rondo gets cold it gets really brittle and breaks SUPER easy. If you are going to use Rondo make sure you reinforce it with fiberglass.

Also i have noticed that if the place you are going to be wearing this costume around in is cold, Rondo is probably not the best option. When Rondo gets cold it gets really brittle and breaks SUPER easy. If you are going to use Rondo make sure you reinforce it with fiberglass.
Well than it is a good thing I live in AZ it never gets cold lol but i like rondo faster and personaly i find it is a lot stronger

I tried a different mix last weekend And I just thought I'd pass it on. Bondo Glass instead of Bondo for you Rondo mix. The fiberglass fibers are already in the mix making strong and fast. You will still have the weight to deal with but really nice to work with. Next part Padding I'm using a mix of Evo mats, Yoga/sleeping mat, foamy's, and thick foam blocks (type used in pillows).

I tried a different mix last weekend And I just thought I'd pass it on. Bondo Glass instead of Bondo for you Rondo mix. The fiberglass fibers are already in the mix making strong and fast. You will still have the weight to deal with but really nice to work with. Next part Padding I'm using a mix of Evo mats, Yoga/sleeping mat, foamy's, and thick foam blocks (type used in pillows).
I need to figure out something better than the foam batting I used. Let me know what you think works best for what.

Helmet pads for motorcycle helms work but they are expencive luckly i got some for free lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back